PDA

View Full Version : My Cheetahs need Critiquing

BlueEyeLizard
01-25-2005, 11:58 PM
I hope I did this thread right. Iv'e only posted in the gallery and in the challenges so I hope my picture shows up.

I posted this in the gallery but I didn't get many critiques. I guess itís almost complete but I would really appreciate some more opinions. Iíve been trying to make things look non-masked and trying to add a bit more texture to the fur. In comparison to the one in the gallery, I darkened the overall picture. I also added for reflections from the green floor into his paws and lower half. I also have been adding more fur to the edges of him and around the metal. I also added more of a blur to the guy running along with more reflections.

I guess I got spoiled in the space opera challenge with the critiquing that we did. I missed it as I was creating this piece. I will submit a less finished piece of art next time.

Please Please Please don't leave without critiquing.

Alex Worthy
01-26-2005, 03:43 AM
Well, I looked so here's my critique. I agree that the fur could use more texture. From my trips to the zoo I mostly remember the cheatahs as being a lot bigger than I thought they were, but also they're really pretty furry especially on their necks considering their warm climate. Also, I don't like the bevel on the background image. The screws are a nice touch, maybe you could go further with that and instead of having a beveled border you could have the picture worn away to reveal some metal texture.

Overall It's a very nice illustration. Your robo-cheatahs (or million-dollar-cheatahs?) are very charismatic.

tttia
01-26-2005, 04:13 AM
I really like the poses. Nicely done cats. But I guess my biggest gripe is....why mecha cheeta's? They would look fine as normal ones.

BlueEyeLizard
01-26-2005, 04:30 PM
Thanks Alex I will add more fur around the neck and body.

And tttia, thatís true that they would look just fine being normal but where is the challenge in that? An imagination is a fantastic tool. Plus there are no guidlines that say art has to be normal. :D

Ilikesoup
01-26-2005, 05:18 PM
Interesting concept, and it looks like it's inspired by the Machineflesh challenge. All the mechanical parts look fully functional and well thought out. I like the expression on the seated cheetah, but I think the running cheetah should show some exertion - open mouth, extended tongue and ribcage as though he's panting from exertion, muscles definition as he drives forward. Hind legs on the seated one don't look quite right. I've got a cat at home, but she's so furry that I can't be sure how they should be without poking her and making her mad. :) Lastly, I'm not a big fan of the motion blur. If the cheeta's pose is dramatic enough, the speed should be obvious and the blur would be redundant. I hope that's helpful.

edit: Forget about the ribcage and muscle definition comment. It's all covered by metal.

BlueEyeLizard
01-26-2005, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the input soup. I was very sad that I missed the machine flesh challenge. Even my space opera challenge would have been better for the machine flesh challenge. Somehow I always evolve back to this particular style when it comes to animal art. This probably will be the last mechanical animal thing... that I do for a while. I want to try some new things.

BlueEyeLizard
02-21-2005, 10:51 PM
Here is the Final Illustration I will be sending to Expose. Last minute comment would be appreciated. I figured out how to do fur in photoshop so he has more fur. Several other changes too.

Thanks

Alex Worthy
02-21-2005, 11:07 PM
Yeah, the cheatah fur is very convincing now. I'm doin a painting of big cats for the expose contest too, maybe I'll post it here when it's finished.

ms@zx
02-22-2005, 02:35 AM
nice update,interesting approach though for a cyborg cheetah..it gave me a sense that only the upper portion of the cheetah is real flesh,it'd be better if part of the body muscles are visible.the front legs seems alil weired,its looks like there's only skin covered the metal legs,i mean the way the paws attached to the legs seems alil off.
the movement of the running cheetah is good:)keep it going

CGTalk Moderation
02-22-2006, 02:57 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.