PDA

View Full Version : selecting components with a volume ?

seb4d
01-25-2005, 09:36 PM
Hi,
I often need to select points of a polymesh that are inside a certain volume.
Is it possible to use another mesh to select components ?

I hope it is clearly explained,
thanks in advance !

SheepFactory
01-25-2005, 09:46 PM
I am afraid thats not possible , but with lasso selection you should be able to select those points easily.

seb4d
01-25-2005, 11:43 PM
Lasso doesn't help with what I want to do.
Take a tree for example, say I want to select only the points that are at the tip of the branches, it is the same as creating a sphere inside the tree and selecting the points that are outside this sphere.

I think I heard about someone who wrote a script that detects if a point is inside another mesh or not, I can't remember more about it but I think that could do the trick.

SheepFactory
01-25-2005, 11:56 PM
you can select the points you dont want and just hit invert selection using filter under the selection menu.

seb4d
01-26-2005, 12:00 AM
yes but in this case selecting the points I don't want is as difficult as selecting the points I want :p

SheepFactory
01-26-2005, 12:22 AM
just select them once and make a selection set for them using clusters so you dont have to worry about it again :)

MJV
01-26-2005, 12:43 AM
Grow selection can also be pretty useful in such circumstances. It's sometimes easier to grab a smaller selection which is at the root of what you want and grow outward. Shrink selection is likewise very useful. And then once you have a cluster saved you can use these commands to fine tune further selections.

smaug
01-26-2005, 02:03 PM
what if i want to animate the selection?

lets say you have a dummy and you want to select the points inside this dummy
and the dummy is animated so the selection changes

SheepFactory
01-26-2005, 04:43 PM
Why would you want to animate the selection?

Per-Anders
01-26-2005, 04:54 PM
if it really means that much to you then you could probably iterate through the points and detect which were in/outside of your volume then select/deselect them using a script. if the volume is anything other than a simple shape though then be prepared to do a lot of work (i'm not even sure if xsi has raycasting from the scripting sdk, so you may have to do the math yourself, and it wont be very fast).

CGTalk Moderation
01-26-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.