PDA

View Full Version : Outpost Guy 2D sketch

Falcorr
01-25-2005, 06:38 PM
It is a guy from an important outpost just about to press VERY important button.
But he is distracted by beatiful girl and that makes him unsure off himself so he is checking out his dandruff problem and making the hair go cool.

Sorry for the attachment file. I dont know how to upload stuff to website and do links for them.

I need specially help with the anatomy on the arm closer to the viewer.

Please give out crits and comments :thumbsup:
Just waiting for the new challenge! Ah just over month to go :)

-
pics changed

Rudeone
01-25-2005, 07:52 PM
it's cool, funny story behind the drawing, i like it.

Crit would be his shoulders, I think you should bring em up a little, I gues at the hight of his shoulderpads, make his lowerarm a little smaller, it looks kinda to large compared to his upperarm.

If you want to show your image submit it on a site like http://www.photobucket.com/, just copy the URL and paste it in the 'insert image' adressbar, be sure to copy the URL of the image and not the tag

Falcorr
01-25-2005, 08:04 PM
Thanx Rudeone:thumbsup:
For the photobucket link and critics and comments

I wanted to give him long neck. Guess i overdo it. Should i try to move the elbow towards the viewer? .. Or tilt the arm to more horizontal position all together.

Im trying to learn how to keep my stuff easily adjustable.

Rudeone
01-25-2005, 09:28 PM
I gues you could move the arm towards the viewer and move the elbow up a little to make the lowerarm a little smaller, that's the one thing that bothers me, you could leave the neck as it is that way I think.

Do you use multiple layers? cause when you do it's easyer to adjust flaws, in my work I start detailing in a very early stage, but I put every single colour in a different layer so I don't have to worry about discovering flaws I didn't notice before, I can always delete em, but than again you do get a lot of layers and sometimes it's hard to find back a colour you're searching for because you forgot in wich layer you put it, so it's kinda handy to give layers usefull names

Squibbit
01-25-2005, 10:02 PM
it's a fun idea which u depicted well , now just paint it ready. that's
my thoughts on it :)

I use layers but unfortunately I often end up painting on wrong layer
so I have to flatten the pic or some layers but at least it works for a while
*sigh*

Falcorr
01-26-2005, 07:41 PM
Sorry yet again i attach...

Anyway! Rudeone. I'm basically still searching for that ultimate technique, but mostly i keep atleast one grayscale layer. Over that some color layers. And again hue/saturation mask under it i work on the overall picture adding depth by painting to luminoisity layer while hues and saturation are totally removed from the pic. I can slide saturation back up and seems i created a bit of depth to pic and they almost look like i did them in color.

This evening on the pic. Havent really moved the arm anywhere. I'll try to adjust it by shading and coloring. Ill fix it when i get the small version of my pic finished.

C&C is very welcome :)

BlueEyeLizard
01-26-2005, 11:03 PM
Looks great! I like the long neck. I agree with the shoulder comment though.

Falcorr
01-27-2005, 06:46 PM
Moved the arm into new position. Hope it looks better.

I also did some antiskewing.. Must have been leaning on my left under the monitor that guy was horrible skewed. I fixed it. Some background darkening and beginning of the sky.

Any cool ideas for the background? Not the insane ideas, but anything else :thumbsup:

ps. I'll attach the pic into first thread. I'll start to keep only the 2 latest version in it.

Squibbit
01-27-2005, 07:15 PM
Not the insane ideas

......*sigh*

Falcorr
01-27-2005, 08:34 PM
OK squibs you can say want you want, but if theyre too crazy im not listening :)

Quick update! Defined some areas of interest. Still cant decide what do i want to for background.

first thread update again... C&C welcome!

Squibbit
01-27-2005, 09:03 PM
k... keep that wall behind the dude simple like that ,add
just ventilation shafts (with fans maybe) or something small like that somewhere.

the button needs red/white or yellow/black warn stripes around it (on the flat
round thing it'e embedded in ) and a red opened safety cap, to make it seem
more significant. Also, the dude might have keys to unlock the safety cap in
a chain around his neck. He could have a note with the activation key code in his
other hand.

There could be some chrome tank or something that would reflect the image of the girl
somewhere, if u can fit that in the pic.

the platform/wall back up there needs 3 scientists standing on it ... one could have a
stopwatch in his hand ... one could be looking at his wristwatch

Falcorr
01-29-2005, 06:01 PM
Great ideas Squibbit!
But i just realized how much i do suck. Opening cap was too hard to draw, so were the scientist also the reflection. Of course i cant draw beatiful women neither so i removed all those elements... :shrug:

But i was able to draw warning stripes over the button! :thumbsup:

Guess i have to pump up the resolution and just finish it up like that.
Hope it is ever worth for finished gallery.

Anything horrible wrong in my pic?
people?

walrus
01-29-2005, 07:01 PM
Falcor_ - Hey, it's looking good do far. I have to admit, I liked the earlier version with the scientists in the background. It gave the piece a bit more context. And just because you're having trouble drawing something is no reason to edit it from the picture, actually or mentally. Instead, think of it as an opportunity to practice drawing it, because it's the only way you're going to improve at it!

The guys head feels a bit wide around the eyes. Especially on the screen-left side of the face, the head would normally indent a bit at the eyes. Also, you may want to experiment more with getting his forarm to overlap the upper arm more so that it feels like his elbow is the furthest forward. Right now the upper arm is feeling kind of flat, which in turn flattens out the depth and perspective that you're shooting for with that arm pose.

good luck with it!

-mike

CGTalk Moderation
01-29-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.