PDA

View Full Version : how do i get linux off my computer

traptinmyself113
01-25-2005, 03:20 PM
hey, i need to know how to get linux suse off my computer. i installed it thinking it was red hat and had a windows like ui and i really dont like it.

please tell me how to get it off, thnx

- josh

lots
01-25-2005, 05:46 PM
Uh.. Format? :P Or simply install another OS...

jeffthomann
01-25-2005, 07:35 PM
If you are asking this sort of question, you may perhaps be better using Windows...

Suse is about the best linux out there! :) Red Hat is more bare bones from what I understand.... it could also be that you just need to try another xwindows...

wrench000
01-25-2005, 07:47 PM
Fedora Core is excellent. But Linux is not for Computer Newbies.

manfriday
01-25-2005, 07:48 PM
try using fdisk to blow away the partition.
then do a fdisk /mbr to rewrite the boot record. That should get rid of lilo or grub or whatver you are using.

it has been a long while since I did this though, so.. excercise caution if you have another partition with windows on it or somthin...

lots
01-25-2005, 08:16 PM
The Windows xp and 2000 installers will not recognize the linux partitions. However, they are able to format the space/destroy those partitions, at which point you can reallocate them to however you need and install Windows. And in either case, once Windows is installed the MBR is rewritten for Window's boot loader.

Talan
01-26-2005, 12:00 PM
Try Partition Magic and delete it or wipe out all of the partitions with Slate (its free)

Donovan
01-26-2005, 03:46 PM
I used to setup a dual boot setup with Linux all the time.
What you need is a simple DOS bootdisk or bootable CD that has FDISK.
If you have a dual boot setup, get to the dos prompt and type fdisk /mbr

This will allow the original MBR to return back to normal.

If you don't have a dual boot setup, then you might have do use FDISK
to delete NON-DOS partitions, and then do a reinstall of windows.

Linux and Windows are not very compatible with each other :-)

However, if you want use Linux, drop Redhat and Mandrake.
The only REAL distro out there that is worthy having is SuSE Linux,
anything else, IMHO, is not worth it.

Oh, Maya works great w/ SuSE, even if its made for Redhat. Never tried with w/ Mandrake.
Make sure you install nVidia's linux drivers for opengl, otherwise it will use MesaGL, software OpenGL.

CGTalk Moderation
01-26-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.