PDA

View Full Version : Ati 8500dv

TiGER
12-18-2001, 11:53 AM
has anyone noticed a slower 3D performance from this card?
the card is made for 2x and 4x AGP slots and it's in a 1x AGP slot. could this be causing my problem? if so, is it worth it to get a new motherboard or just get a different card?

- TiGER

parallax
12-19-2001, 07:49 PM
What specs are the rest of your components?
Are you having any driver problems with that card? I hear ATI's support isnt up to nvidia's.

TiGER
12-20-2001, 01:12 AM
dual AMD 1Ghz, 1GB PC1333 RAM
the system is running Windows 2000 on NTFS and there doesn't appear to be any driver problems. it should be fully supported.

- TiGER

Chewey
12-20-2001, 12:18 PM
ATI has an atrocious track record for proper driver support especially in the area of openGL.

parallax
12-20-2001, 01:15 PM
Well, you've got quite an impressive system, (especially compared to my poor celeron 433). But i dont get why your agp slot = 1x, since you have a dual athlon system, wich is pretty recent. The MP chipset supports AGP4X. Something doesnt add up. Its a Tyan motherboard isnt it?
Maybe make some bios changes.

TiGER
12-20-2001, 07:55 PM
the system is acutally my 3d design and animation professor's from college. i'm pretty sure that it's not a tyan board, and the system is getting close to 2 yrs old. i know for sure that the agp slot is 1x.

- TiGER

3dsmax
12-21-2001, 05:52 AM
check out www.rage3d.com 's message forum for extensive talk on various topic devoted to Radeon 8500

parallax
12-21-2001, 11:37 AM
Thats not possible. Then it isnt a dual Athlon, they were released this year, and only supllied to TYAN, The new MP chipset is used by more vendors.

shokan
12-25-2001, 01:34 PM
I have some more to add to this thread. I have a dual AMD 1.2 MHz CPU system on a Tyan board, running XP Professional as an upgrade from Win2000 Professional with 512 Mb DDR memory. I am using an ATI Radeon 64Mb DDR and have had problems with it. Specifically, in Amapi v6 the workshop mode tool icons become superimposed when switching toolsets and cease to function (traditional tool interface remains usable), workshop interface tool icons do not reappear when opening a new project afetr closing previous but can be made to reappear by simply pressing ESC. I have had numerous program crashes in simple beginner's tasks with this program and bizarre draw anomolies while in the shaded wireframe modes. Wireframe mode causes none of the above problems. It turns out that all mdes employing the openGL pipeline using this ATI radeon card are messed up. That is to say, the card's openGL implementation seems to be. So I agree so far with the guy above who comments on ATI's OpenGL track record as atrocious. (BTW,I think Amapi is a tremendously clever program and definitely has has a very bright future). Here is a quote from someone very knowledgable about the program re the OpenGL issue.and is useful to know for other 3D creation programs as well (this, in response to my not very knowledgable gripes over Amapi and XP):

"This is not a win2k or XP problem, it's a known problem with most graphics cards that they don't synchronize the OpenGL and the GDI pipelines.
A program can send commands to the opengl renderer (e.g. a frame buffer copy at the end of a bunch of line drawings) and then a few icons in GDI mode (e.g. the workshop interface in Amapi) but they don't always draw them in that order issued. The two pipelines access the frame buffer differently, and the drivers are rarely synchronized.
I have found that Intel's graphics cards are best in that regard, as they have conciously made an effort to synchronize the two. "

ANY COMMENTS ON WHAT HE MEANS BY AN INTEL GRAPHICS CARD? Does he mean nVidia?!!! And any comments in general about anything I've mentioned here, especially in regards Amapi and OpenGL?

:

iung
01-22-2002, 06:30 AM
I'm not sure that amapi has the best OGL implementation around. The toolset problem arise with some cards/drivers. I would suggest that you switch to a NVidia GeForce or Quadro, they perform far better than ATI, and notably in OGL, IMHO.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.