PDA

View Full Version : Archer by Pond

V_Shane
01-25-2005, 12:55 AM
This is the sketch of a painting I'm starting. I thought it might a learning experience for me and perhaps for others as well on my approach on my painting techniques. Because other artists will see what I don't and it can't but help make the image that much better.

Soooooo, this is a female elven archer taking a cautious dip in the pond and aware of any potential danger that may be unexpected. Its cast in an old ruins area that will have a Mayan feel to it. C&C welcome

http://www.wacomknight.com/Remote_Art/Archer_Pond.jpg

V_Shane
01-25-2005, 01:01 AM
hahaha, thats ironic. I'm commenting on my own after posting. I couldn't help but notice that I need more room at the top of the painting, I think I'll just increase the vertical length and not reduce her in size.

Rudeone
01-25-2005, 01:11 AM
Only crit is that her shoulders look a little to big for a female, also her hand resting on her leg could be a little more feminine, but maybe that's just me.

jessart
01-25-2005, 04:48 AM
I agree about the hand, she seems a bit too rigid, even if she is watchful. softening up the elbow and bringing the hand back towards the hip could help a bit with that. Also bring the elbow in towards her waist line so that her arm wont seem so linear. I also agree about the shoulders.

KevinJM
01-25-2005, 12:09 PM
jessartI agree about the hand, she seems a bit too rigid, even if she is watchful. softening up the elbow and bringing the hand back towards the hip could help a bit with that. Also bring the elbow in towards her waist line so that her arm wont seem so linear. I also agree about the shoulders.

RudeoneOnly crit is that her shoulders look a little to big for a female, also her hand resting on her leg could be a little more feminine, but maybe that's just me.

Mates i don`t know if i`m right here but i think that what V-Shane wanted to illustrate is a strong women character with a manly attitude.I know that most artist like to draw very sensual and soft drawings of female characters but sometimes bypassing the tendancy is necessary to make a unique image.A woman with a bow is very superb thing to look at but if the women looks too slim or soft i seems obvious that that the bow seems in the wrong place,Whereas a woman with strong appearance does give that archer attitude:twisted: . You excuse me if i`m contradicting you but i just wanted to give my opinion.What do you think? :shrug:

take care mates

Lovliebutterfly
01-25-2005, 09:25 PM
I like her body and the weight of the lines you've used to define her shape. The shape of her thighs conveys her strength as an archer and you've been able to show that. :thumbsup: So, I would agree with dean080580 about making her look less sensual or soft! She needs the attitude and features you've incorporated on her. My suggestion would be to make her head tilt/bend a little towards her left side where her eyes are looking (not turning the head but tilting, if you see what I mean, this little fellow: ":shrug:" might give you an idea what I trying to say). I think this would add some sharpness in her look. Nice setting! I really like the character. :)

Squibbit
01-25-2005, 10:09 PM
put a tiny piranha in the pic biting the big toe!

V_Shane
01-27-2005, 06:24 AM
Sorry I haven't gotten back to everyone. Been busy finishing up a couple projects.

Now on with the story! Ok I'm not a big Typer, so if you name isn't here it doesn't mean I'm ignoring you. I'll go right to what I can answer;

[dean080580] Your right on the money! Exactly. I rarely draw/paint sensual women for the sole sake of eye candy. I feel female aspect of my art comes showing the powerful spirit of both strength and sensuality of a woman. As you'll see most of the women on my site are physicaly strong.

[Lovliebutterfly] Thank you, and your also very correct in your observation of my lines. I like your suggestion.

[Squibbit] (dude you look like me..weird) Pirahnna not a bad idea, maybe I'll put in a subtle depthy water shadow of a creature, that way combined with Lovliebutterfly's suggestion will give an irony to the piece for this "ever watchful" archer :thumbsup:

Well back to work on my deadline, I hope to have something for this WIP over teh weekend. Slow goins!

Gusgus
01-28-2005, 07:08 AM
all in all it looks really good man. I think the only thing that really sticks out to me at the moment is her right foot. it seems to be a bit off like shes tilting in to far to the right. besides that it looks like itll be a nice paintin. cant wait to see it finished.

V_Shane
01-29-2005, 05:20 PM
Hey GusGus thanks for stopping by, you got here before me :scream: I had responded to you in the other thread. Your right, that foot looks a little "cranked" to the one side, I will fix it, good suggestion.

walrus
01-29-2005, 06:53 PM
V - Looking good so far. I like the concept. It's true, she's wide shouldered, and i have no problem with that, but one thing that may be unintentioanlly lending that feeling is that her deltoids feel really large. (Perhaps disproportionately so.) Also, to me at least, it doesn't feel like she's being watchful with her face looking nearly straight ahead. Have you tried the shot with her looking off to on side, in the direction of something off-camera? That may lend more of the feeling you're looking for. either way, nice work, and good luck with it!

-mike

V_Shane
01-31-2005, 08:10 AM
walrus Thanks for the feedback. Your right, I hadn't really noticed that, must have been an oversite while working on the costume (erasing the wrong lines) , cool another good find :)

You mentioned the same thing as Lovliebutterfly, thats a good thing, it tells me to watch on the body language a little closer. I think this happens with me as I draw the pic with one thing in mind (archer by pond) and deciding the direction of the piece afterward (watchful archer by pond). Obviously an after thought. Great, having helping artisans to make this piece the best it can portray. I really wish I had something to post, but my deadline is here and I have to finish my project (or Else!) :argh: At least making those corrections should be easy.

CGTalk Moderation
01-31-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.