PDA

View Full Version : The Wizard Wanderer

Zeng
01-24-2005, 11:46 PM
Any tips on how to improve the bg? i cant seem to get that perspective feel . C n C welcomed. any good brushes in painter just for BG works?

http://www.zengart.com/gallery/cg01.jpg

jessart
01-25-2005, 12:38 AM
blurr the left side of the painting a little more, its a bit scribbly/sharp compared to the rest. maybe add a hint of yellow in the column of light? just a sugget for color. I wouldnt try to add too much more detail to the BG, it would take away from the wizard, which is the focus of the painting.

Zeng
01-25-2005, 05:11 AM
thanks for the comments ! will yellow go well with green? hmmm btw nice website u have : )

jessart
01-25-2005, 05:41 AM
thanks, :)

When i say yellow, i mean just a small amount, you dont want flood the picture with color, It has a nice ethereal look going on, using too much color will detract from that ghostly feel, i think. maybe just a few whisps, tendrils of light either in the center of the column or on the edges of the painting would be ok. I choose yellow because i think a cool color such as blue or purple would add give a depressing mood to the scene (and possibly muddy up the scene, since those colors are so dominant on the wizard, would make the foreground blend too much with the background); It doesn't seem like thats the mood you're trying to achieve. You have some nice contrast going on, I think too much blue or pruple would detract from that. Also maybe add some more hilights along the tops of the rocks.

Give it a try, and if it sucks, then just ignore me, I'm just rambling off ideas anyways:)
I think what you have feels pretty whole in my opinion, but if youre looking for stuff to try or if something about the scene is bugging you, try a little color and a couple of small hilights in the background, probably wouldnt hurt.

danne_n
01-25-2005, 08:42 PM
Nice start!
Is really the wizard the focus? He/she is turned away, looking at the middle of the painting, I feel that is concentrating the interrest to the "background"

If you could se the wizard's eyes and expression, then it would be another thing.

I say put the effort in making somethong really cool of the background!

Zeng
01-26-2005, 06:48 AM
thanks alot : ) hehe for both your comments !
ive get what u mean about the colors , will try .
n also abt the bg too.

Gusgus
01-29-2005, 09:34 AM
As far as depth i think it would be nice if to the left of the lighting bolt you had the bg fading out into the distance. the best way to do that would be to use one of your dark cloud colors along the horizon line to the left of the lightning bolt and progressively lighten that dark as it gets closer to the mid-ground. But all in all youve got whats going to be a really nice pic love the clouds and the character style.

CGTalk Moderation
01-29-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.