PDA

View Full Version : Metaballs and particles

malthus
01-24-2005, 02:01 PM
Because I'm such a sucker for punishment I've been experimenting with particles and metaballs for realistic liquid simulation. I know, I know, C4D's native system (and thinking particles for that matter) aren't really designed for it, but it's fun and that's the main thing. The biggest thing I have trouble with is ensuring that the metaballed particles don't overlap, because I know that when they do they just create a larger sphere around the overlapping particles, which leads to all sorts of improbable bulges. It's a particular pain as soon as I switch some gravity on. No matter what sort of collision and repulsion rules I apply to them, I never seem to be able to get the particles to stay an approximately stable distance apart from eachother, if I put them in a container for instance. They either fly off to the four (six?) corners of the universe or overlap with the horrible bulge effect. So I suppose I have two questions:-

1) Anyone got any scene files, using either fizz or tp, which aim to create the above effects and which they are particularly proud of? I'm fairly happy with my zero-g efforts, it's gravity that causes me trouble.

2) Is there any way to switch off the overlap/bulge effect? If two particles overlap I'd far rather that they simply merge than have their volume balloon.

I know there must be dozens of you who've dabbled with these effects, so don't be shy, share what you know!

Matt

JIII
01-24-2005, 02:27 PM
Hmm, I wonder if you simply used more particles and a lower particle size you could get that effect? I mean If you use a high enough particle count your going to get a realistic look. Even realflow uses HUGE amounts of particles to get it's effects, that's how it does it. So I think part of the answer may simply be, use huge particle counts :-P. Now if only we all had a 16,000 ghz processor :-)

malthus
01-24-2005, 02:47 PM
I'm aware that high particle counts and low particle sizes are a good way to go, but even with these the bulge problem can be significant if you can't prevent them overlapping. What I want to do is set up a system which I'm happy with at a relatively macro level (involving, say 500-1000 particles) before I scale it down to the micro. It would all be a lot easier with a big fat juicy network of computers, but hey, unless I find one down the back of my sofa I'll have to keep plugging away with my desktop!

CGTalk Moderation
01-24-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.