PDA

View Full Version : PA Challenge - Character - bentllama

bentllama
02-09-2002, 12:39 PM
Here is a sketch [grease pencil - 18"x24"] for the model I will be working on...I hope I can find time with the olympics going on in Salt Lake City...they are gonna be fun...

CANADA will win GOLD in HOCKEY!!!!

...anyway, I wanted to do something different since it seems [and I predicted] the majority of the models would be sci-fi themed...

I opted for a more "classical" approach... hee hee...

take a peek...I will be sketching some full body shots tonight too...I have some killer ideas for his ride and his weapon...

http://www.bentllama.com/cgtalk/febWIPsketch01.jpg

comments are very welcome...

NOTE: I am still not sure about the hair...I think I will go for a "sloppy shaved head" look... with peices missed here and there like a kid who shaved his own head without a mirror... and I may make him younger... right now I think the teen thing is a tad too old... a pre-teen might make for more of an interesting story...

be sure to check out my site... www.bentllama.com [i had to take the demo reel down due to bandwidth issues...a smaller one will be up soon...]

peace.

Sketch23
02-09-2002, 01:29 PM
Nice design. It's nice to see a different approach. Also really nice to see someone with a lot of classical and life drawing experience. The stuff on your site is wicked. Look forward to seeing your model for this kid. I think he would look really cool with some chains around his shoulders or something like that.

Facial Deluxe
02-09-2002, 02:54 PM
Love your site, what a palmares ! High level persons on this challenge, this'll be hot ! I wait.... Héhé

cerreto
02-10-2002, 02:19 PM
ok im talking to you now but ill post this anyway looks good ! and canada will eat my shorts

Martin-K-
02-10-2002, 02:24 PM
yes. canada will eat your shorts and then kick your bare ass :)!!
hey nathan, good stuff :) but what do you mean about more classical ?
your going to stick to 2d?

bentllama
02-10-2002, 02:36 PM
Canada will eat your shorts and spit you out Cerretoooooooo!! :)

i always plan my stuff in 2d first...call me "old fashioned"...

but he will be in 3d...gotta squeeze in some time inbetween olympic hockey games...

cerreto
02-10-2002, 03:07 PM
yeah i know just teasing when i played in saskatoon there were 3 year olds in skates out there foating around the rink

fellah
02-16-2002, 06:54 PM
I love these cartoon contributions, I hope you will be as successfull with the model as the sketch, 'cause that can be a kickas model if you're handling stuff the right way.

CANADA will win GOLD in HOCKEY!!!!
:D :D :D okey, I guess Sweden just had a lucky day then, 5-2. Sweden! Sweden! Sweden! :p :p :p

bentllama
02-16-2002, 08:50 PM
yeah, you are right. the swedes did JUST have a lucky day. the day's name is Mats Sundin. we invite him into Toronto, and look what he does...

tsk tsk tsk...

LOL ;)

btw: that game was so fun to be at...even though Canada lost... crazy international crease rules...

PS: my model has been started...I will post a WIP soon, along with a sketch or two so you can see where I am headed...

bentllama
03-01-2002, 11:34 AM
:o I TOLD YOU MOFOS THAT CANADA WOULD WIN GOLD

:):p :p :)

YemYam
03-01-2002, 12:05 PM
Yo, nice sketch, very nice site too. Was waiting for renders so browsing to check Sh out. When are you going to get your demo reel back on line? Look forward to more art.

cerreto
03-01-2002, 12:19 PM
canada won i thought that was a movie ;)

SlipKorn
03-05-2002, 12:22 PM
Since the design is over a month old, just wondering if you got around to finishing this character in 3D at all? We're all eager to see more of your work.

bentllama
03-05-2002, 01:12 PM
Your comment is kind Slipkorn, unfortunately I did not finish him in 3D...

To give you a bit of an idea what my life has been like lately, here is a rundown. After reading this explaination you will be able to understand why I did not get around to modelling him in 3D.

It all started in December, when KODIAK games closed its doors for resaons to lame to mention here. It was a good run and I had the opportunity to work on some great titles, including Monsters Inc for PS2. Out on the street and forced to find employment I gathered my resources and started job hunting. To some avail I wetted peoples appetites for my work but recieved little feedback due to the timing. Christmas was upon us, and no one was in the studio offices to handle recruiting. I could not work in the US delivering pizza in the meantime because I was a Canadian on a specific work visa sponsored only by Kodiak. I still had a fun Christmas though, surrounded by friends experiencing the same situation.

Along came the new year and it took about 2 weeks into January for the studios to get back into gear after a holiday break. I started to get feedback. They wanted to interview me, so I spent the rest of January and part of February living in hotels and gettting stuck beside sweaty, fat, heavy breathing creatures on airplanes. The rest of February I spent enjoying the Olympics here in Salt Lake City. Attending many hockey games and annoying many US hockey fans by sporting my Canadian jersey loud and proud on my back. Gold medal, baby! Gold!

I got 5 offers out of all my pandering, and decided hands down to take the offer that was undeniably the coolest, best offer to date.
After accepting that offer, and getting work visa stuff out of the way I will be starting my new job at BUNGIE in just a little while.
I will be bending, animating & twisting characters on the team responsible for HALO. I can't tell you what I am working on now though, or I would have to stick a plasma grenade to you...or run you down with the Warthog like the little wench you are... :) :D

So there you have it, the soap opera that is my life laid out in full, for you to laugh at or sob to...

March is turning out to be one KICKASS month, I look forward to March's challenge...

Over the next few month's you will see some great 3D, tutorials, illustrations, website redesign and positive attitude from me.

I am involved in this community now, and here to stay...

I anticipate learning alot from my fellow peers here at CGtalk, and hope I can reciprocate that education.

Rokk.

bentllama

PS: YemYam - My demo reel is back up!
PPS: Be sure to check out my website...and my reel!

cerreto
03-05-2002, 09:42 PM
man i could have made a model in the time it took you to write all this ;) glad your in good shape man but next month show em what ya got lol

AnimBot
03-09-2002, 07:56 AM
Hey Bentallama!! I was one of the guys at one of the companies you interviewed with, though I'm sure you may not remember me. It's really cool to see you found something, and man what a great find in Bungie. Wish you all the best at your new place, and lets see some modeling out of you next time. :D

bentllama
03-10-2002, 03:22 AM
I remember you...in albany...tee hee...I never forget a face...especially one that ugly! *joking*

have fun back east in NY and say hi to everyone there for me...

now I believe we have a challenge to start...

peace.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.