PDA

View Full Version : a girl in a bikini

balistic
01-24-2005, 06:27 AM
edit: newer versions will appear further down the page

Here's a little pin-up I've been working on here and there for a few months. Probably about 8-10 hours of work into it so far.

http://www.bprince.com/SAPinupC.jpg

To-do list:

- fix her legs so that she stops looking like midget Vampirella
- give her another arm
- and some sunglasses on top of her head (those old-school cat's eye ones)
- work some more form into the hair
- lavish attention on boobs
- tighten up the background
- throw a little more sunlight on her face

Any other suggestions (aside from making her skinnier and/or blonde)? I'm having second thoughts about her strong jaw line . . . maybe I should soften that, or pull it up a bit.

I'm a big fan of Gil Elvgren, and while this isn't painted in his style, I tried to capture that same kind of girl-next-door sexiness that he was so good at conveying.

skizzemann
01-24-2005, 05:17 PM
Do NOT make her skinnier, she looks great as she is. Soften her jaw line, no need to raise it. The light shape on the right side of her nose below her left eye seems to flatten out the bridge of her nose. Pretty gal. I too am a fan of Elvgrin; just moved and can't find my dang book (along with 2/3s of my others)

balistic
01-24-2005, 05:26 PM
Thanks for your eye skizzemann.

I just got the Taschen book that compiles all of his pin-ups. I like that it includes some shots of the models he used as well. The guy was making something like $5000 an image in 1950 painting pretty girls . . . not a bad gig.

Laeng
01-24-2005, 08:16 PM
Great work, itīs wunderfull to look at.

There is something about her left shoulder which disturbes me.
From this angle, you should see less of her shoulder, or it should be a little bit lower.
look at her clothing, which defines the shape of her neck,
If her shoulder is that far from her neck, it has to be pushed outward, up and forward. that doesnīt seem like a relaxed pose.

the right part of her hair doesnīt interact with the head. Itīs not clear wheather the upper part occludes the head or is occluded by the head. If the first is the case, there should be a sense of shadow, if not, you could correct the shape of her right forehead a bit.

balistic
01-25-2005, 02:24 AM
Did just a bit more work on it tonight. Thanks again for the advice guys. I'll post once more when I'm closer to finished.

http://www.bprince.com/SAPinupD.jpg

Triarii
01-25-2005, 04:50 PM
The shape is great, very pretty lady you've made there. Was there a reference or is it completely drawn from imagination?

One thing that caught my eye is the brush stroking texture that you've given the image. Especially on the upper or the arm coming across her chest. Really special, don't lose it as it really does give style to the image. :thumbsup:

balistic
01-26-2005, 01:31 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys, I appreciate it. As for reference, I did my initial sketch based on this:

http://www.bprince.com/LegitimateReferenceMaterial.jpg (*censored nudity*)

But obviously, I deviated quite a bit. I think the incongruity with the shoulder is coming from me trying to change the focal length of the lens. The photo was taken up close, so the legs appear small compared to her upper half, but I wanted to pull the camera back a bit . . . definitely not the best way to do things. I should've planned better. Maybe next time :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-26-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.