PDA

View Full Version : FX Wars Volcano: Björn Marl

Srek
01-23-2005, 01:54 PM
Hi,
nice subject to finaly get something finished. Since i have no experience whatsoever with compositing applications i hope you don't mind if i do what i can within one program.
I'm using the number three video and want to do three things.
1. Crash the car in the foreground with some volcano debris
2. show the volcano spitting right behind the houses (i know it's a cop out, but i hav eno idea how it might look in the foreground and i did not want to settle for a small smoking hole)
3. Having lava flow down the ramp in the background.

Good luck to anyone
Björn

basti
01-23-2005, 02:05 PM
nice :) i like the car-smash idea

good luck björn!

maybe i can find enough time to participate, too.. we'll see in a few days

basti

Srek
01-23-2005, 02:16 PM
First step was to single out the car in the foreground and give it a geometry to destroy. This is done using simple camera mapping and a primitive box modeled car shape.
I took one still image from the movie and removed the foreground car from it with PS to get a background for the smashed car and placed it behind the car.
Also a shadow catching plane is needed so the new car and the debris will cast correct shadows. This is done via camera mapping too. I use this plane as a collider for the car crash too. The collision itself is done using very stiff cloth, since this allows for fast tweaks of the impact.
For the background i'm using two planes, one for the clouds and one for the buildings, to allow the debris flying from the backround into the foreground.
The debris piece is a simple shape with some displacement to start with. An emitter is placed on it to produce a smoke trail. The emitter is also used to produce some smoke on impact.
A first testanimation can be found here (http://www.bonkers.de/challenge/volcano3c.mov) (3.4 MB QT Sorenson) For final rendering i will of course need to up the number of particles and adjust the shadowcatching plane.

Cheers
Björn

Srek
01-23-2005, 02:17 PM
nice :) i like the car-smash idea

good luck björn!

maybe i can find enough time to participate, too.. we'll see in a few days

basti

Hi Basti,
whish i had your compositing know how, i realy dearly need it ;)
Cheers
Björn

Srek
01-29-2005, 08:21 PM
It's a bit slow going in the last days due to some other work, but at least i got a preview of the lava flowing down the street. The lava itself is very primitve currently and the background only a radial gradient with some turbulence..
http://www.bonkers.de/challenge/2volcano2.mov
Comments and critique welcome
Cheers
Björn

Bramski
02-10-2005, 07:44 AM
Just saw the concept movies and I really respect that its all done in one app. The debris boulder landing on the car is pretty cool :thumbsup:. I'd like to see some more stuff fly away at impact, a couple of car parts and glass but I'm sure you're working hard on this :). The lava atmosphere looks a bit red saturated, simple but cool effect. I wish I could share some wisdom on compositing but I'm no hero there unfortunately.

Greets, Bram

aw3d
02-16-2005, 06:59 AM
I like your concept. Do you plan to make some parts react with the lavaflow? maybe some fire on the buildings ?
And i think for such a saturated atmosphere you need some small pieces (dust, sparks) flying turbulent through the air.

greetings, Andreas

Srek
02-16-2005, 07:57 AM
I will try to make the traffic lights bridge fall down and ignite a bit and currently i'm testing how well i can make one of the two buildings to the left break down or go up in flames.
The trees to the right would be the first to burn in reality, so maybe i should focus on them. I'm still struggeling with getting the perspective right for this though.
The colorsaturation currently is to strong, but i think i will take this road further. The sky will have to be redone completely with some much better big fat dark clouds. Sparks and other debris come in later, especialy the crashing car will need some glass and other flying parts added.
Thanks for the crits
Björn

CGTalk Moderation
02-16-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.