PDA

View Full Version : skin shading

Stri
09-09-2002, 04:17 PM
Here's a head model I'm currently working on. Please never mind the color map 'cause it's only a dummy. What do you think about the shading? I'm also still trying to improve it's shininess and bump which is not too noticeable. There are no backlights in this setup. Only one light and gi. The highlights along his jaw, nosebridge and other parts is generated solely by the shading. Please critic you guys! :)

leigh
09-10-2002, 09:26 PM
Well, it doesn't look too bad, but the render is far too blurry to really crit :surprised
Post a clearer render :)

Something that is quite noticeable is the fact that it almost looks like this guy either has had a bar brawl recently, resulting in some unsightly bruising around his eyes, or he is wearing loads of eyeshadow!

The eyes themselves are far too blurry (and I don't think it's just because of the overall blurriness in the render...) - you really can't texture with such low res images. The eyes actually seem to lack definition - it almost seems as if the area surrounding the eye is not actually modelled, and that the detail there comes solely from the image you have projected onto the face.
The eyebrows really shouldn't be left like that. Try using a hair plugin for the eyebrows, or try getting a much higher res image for them, and use a bump map along with it... ;)

On a modelling note, the back of the head looks like it could do with some adjusting too. It seems to slope down a little too sharply.

stillvapour
09-11-2002, 03:08 AM
the shading is ok to me.i think you need more specular and bump contral over the whole face.
it looks very similar to other facegen models i had seen,well it ok if you only aim on the shading:)

jone
09-11-2002, 04:46 AM
it's must be facegen!..
am i right?
- those eyes is weird (like frog eyes. blurry+only black circle on it)

Xaya
09-11-2002, 08:54 PM
i`m sure that`s facegen....

but i like the light
:thumbsup:

playmesumch00ns
09-19-2002, 03:23 PM
I agree with Leigh baout the eyes, they should be a lot sharper. Are they part of the head mesh? If so model them seperately!

I think the shading's really nice, I'd be very interested to know how you did it. Skin needs to look soft and well, a bit blurry (tho of course it's not blurry it's down to the SSS, but proper BSSDRF, not crappy BDRF like most SSS-renderers will give you).

The only thing I'd say is to give it a bit more red in the shadows, make it a bit warmer. The shadows under the eyes look fine to me (but that could just be the contrast on my monitor). You got a nice look there, please can you tell us all how you did it?

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.