PDA

View Full Version : Demo reel: videogame animator

Andy741
01-22-2005, 03:36 AM
Here's my current reel for games: http://www.trianglenet.net/~theaumanns/Reel_Andy_Aumann.mpg

Any crits are welcome

the_podman
01-23-2005, 06:00 AM
Definatly got the motion skills to do game animation. Some really strong work there, man. Working on a game animation reel myself and researched tons to find out what game companies are looking for.

The dog animation is tops, dude! That peice alone will probably land you a job, seeing that animating quadrapeds to look natural has got to be one of the hardest things.

My crit would be to include more "cycled" animation, especially ones that are very typical of game situations. Like, have a still camera shot showing multiple angles of different types of walk, run, jump, double-jump, climbing, swimming, etc. You know, stuff you'd see in games. I'm doing lots of cycles myself based off of games I'm playing on my ps2.

There are also more complex cycles you can do, like, the 4 step cycles. For example, a ladder climb consists of an approach cycle, followed by a pre-climb ponder fidget, followed by actually grabbing the ladder, then finally the climb cycled animation.
Another good example is the "opening treasure chest animation".

But what you've got so far is great.

Oh yeah, and a contact info card in the beginning and end would be good too. lol

What app are you using for this?
I'm using Maya for animating but I'm currently evaluating motion builder and messiah: animate for alternatives.

-pod
:thumbsup:

BernardoDelgado
01-23-2005, 04:22 PM
wow, I think its perfect, congratulations :thumbsup:

Andy741
01-23-2005, 11:52 PM
Thanks for the crits and comments :) I'm using Animation Master ver 7.0

What do you think about adding a kind of spark impact to the animation, like when he hits someone with the board, some sparks or some kind of visual contact happens? stars circling the head? or like Soul Calibur has those streaks following the weapons?
It might be kind of funny too to add some kempo like movements with the board. I think that martial art is called kempo from 'the Perfect Weapon' movie.

KielFiggins
01-24-2005, 04:26 AM
-Put a Title screen at the beginning
-Contact info at the end
-Make the camera static, its hard to judge the animation when the camera is moving as well
-your multiperson scene could use a bit more dynamics, it seems you ust have the dog running, the guy swinging and the others reactions, really thats only one new animation, just show that one instead or have the others be new or interact more
-your animations have snap, but many are too abrupt that kill the ineria of the motion and flow of the animatoin. taking out the camera shake will make it more game appropriate as well.
-if your giong for games, more stationary cycles are needed, the one you psuedo have is the zombie walking, and wih the camera moving and its there only for a short time, you really cant gather much from it.

Overall its hard to critique any individual animation the way they are presented currently. The motion is there, just difficult to concentrate with all the other distractions.

Mordalles
01-24-2005, 10:19 PM
very impressive! nice clean and fast movements.

Opaxity
01-24-2005, 10:29 PM
wow, that is nice, a really cool effect that i imply you keep on doing, is the "shack-of-camara" effect, that really was cool. When he hit the other character, the camara shacked. Keep it up ;)

Andy741
01-25-2005, 01:56 AM
wow, that is nice, a really cool effect that i imply you keep on doing, is the "shack-of-camara" effect, that really was cool. When he hit the other character, the camara shacked. Keep it up ;)

yeah, dude, it totally amps up the impact when you compare it with normal camera. I thought I was the only one that likes it.

HenningK
01-26-2005, 06:09 AM
Yeah, good animation and stuff, weight's a little funny on the first skateboard jump, but is 13 seconds your idea of a demo reel (you can't get a job based on that, even with music and title cards)? Am I getting it all? Maybe its a WIP.
-hen

Pinet
01-26-2005, 04:15 PM
That skate boarder is violent!
I like the Girl or "Feminine" dude that get slammed :D
is it me or the dog's animation is Freaking reallistic?? :)
Nice stuff!

Andy741
01-27-2005, 03:42 AM
Okay, here's what I would critique myself on. I would like to see it better quality as far as weight shifts and creating a strong feeling of weight. You just can't go wrong with improving the feeling of weight.

Make the compression of the video better quality, it's a little too compressed and it's hard to tell what's going on.

CGTalk Moderation
01-27-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.