PDA

View Full Version : Creating normal maps...

trancecaster
01-22-2005, 12:14 AM
There's lots of nice stuff for simple normal map creating with C4D, NLinShader etc... Works well with walltextures and such. But when have to get whole model exported for game or other realtime solution there comes problems. Ok, i could make just low polygon models which looks pretty 80's...or high quality models and wait that people gets computers powerful enough. But as there's normal maps why not to get both, high quality and low polygon counts. Just haven't found working way to do that...so all tips are most welcome:)

Found about 3 progs able to create normalmaps from high polygon model BUT...
1) NVidia's Melody - looked best but as having Radeon 9200... :(
2) Open RenderBump (ORB). Looked nice too but it just do nothing but crasher everytime i try to import models. Tested with many variations of obj & Blender converted ASEs and LWOs which both works fine elsewhere.
3) ATI's NormalMapper - as it is, totally useless, because using C4D and theres NMF export-plugins only for Maya and Max. Found that modification supports obj files and it seems to work well...but produces only plain gray images?!? Still having hope with this one but just can't figure out where's the problem...

Erik Heyninck
01-22-2005, 07:15 AM
http://www.allegorithmic.com/v2/zone_desc.htm

Map | Zone is free and can be used to create normalmaps.

This said, the NVIDIA plug works also with ati cards.

You use Remotions' plug in Cinema?

trancecaster
01-22-2005, 01:53 PM
Thanks for the link:) Already had tool for making normal maps from heightmaps but seemed pretty cool that plugin anyway...must try. But was i looking for was way to create/render normal maps from high polygon models for low polygon ones...without buying MAX. Not using that Remotion's plugin, it's not any answer either, if got that right it allows C4D to handle normalmaps but still have create those normal maps somewhere else...

You're right - NVidia's Melody works with ATIs cards, if Pixel Shader 2.0 is supported. With Radeon9200 it's unfortunately not (PS1.4 if remembering right). Maybe i should update my graphics card..?

cookepuss
01-22-2005, 02:00 PM
trancecaster, if I recall correctly, bobtronic made a NMF export plugin for C4D. Not sure if he has it on his site anymore, but I probably dl-ed it when he did.

acmepixel
01-22-2005, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the link:) Already had tool for making normal maps from heightmaps but seemed pretty cool that plugin anyway...must try. But was i looking for was way to create/render normal maps from high polygon models for low polygon ones...without buying MAX. Not using that Remotion's plugin, it's not any answer either, if got that right it allows C4D to handle normalmaps but still have create those normal maps somewhere else...

Zbrush2 will also create a nice normal and displacement map. It has standard uv projections as well as a proprietary one that works well with Cinema.

And you can also create a normal map from scratch in Cinema with the help of this tut;

http://members.shaw.ca/jimht03/normal.html

see page 2 and 3

But, yes, one will need Paranormal or StormTracer to utilize the map in the materials.

bobtronic
01-22-2005, 05:15 PM
trancecaster, if I recall correctly, bobtronic made a NMF export plugin for C4D. Not sure if he has it on his site anymore, but I probably dl-ed it when he did.

Yep, its on my new hompage: http://www.bobtronic.de/plugins/R8/NMF_Export.zip

You can create NMF files for the ATi Normalmapper. If you have some questions don't
hesitate to contact me.

Bob

trancecaster
01-22-2005, 06:07 PM
Yep, its on my new hompage: http://www.bobtronic.de/plugins/R8/NMF_Export.zip

You can create NMF files for the ATi Normalmapper. If you have some questions don't
hesitate to contact me.

Bob

Yes! YES!! YEESH!!! Thank you. That's exactly what i was looking for. Saw that couple a days ago mentioned on some forums but Googlin resulted just broken links. Made fast test and seemed to work as expected, very well:)

Caravaggio
01-22-2005, 09:30 PM
That's great guys.
I have no need to render them in c4d, but I might like to try using them for games so I'm not sure if I want to buy plugins just to preview the maps. There wouldn't happen to be a simple normal map viewer program somewhere would there?

bobtronic
01-22-2005, 09:51 PM
There is a simple viewer included in ATi's normalmapper. But again it only supports NMF files.

Bob

CGTalk Moderation
01-22-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.