PDA

View Full Version : Sony to open up PSP's UMD format

vrf
01-21-2005, 03:15 PM
Guess it makes sense. I mean, it is "universal" media drive, right?

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,119357,pg,1,RSS,RSS,00.asp

opus13
01-21-2005, 05:03 PM
great. another sony media format to disregard.

you would have thought that they learned their lesson with the minidisc.

Geta-Ve
01-21-2005, 07:47 PM
not really.. because the minidisc didnt have such a user base as the UMD will

I mean think about it, PSP has practically went nutso in japan... its gonna sell big in NA and eur(imo) so its only natural the UMD will sell big, we will be able to store our music on it.. movies, etc.. perhaps they will even let us play PS1 games... mm? (assuming we have them that is..)

lol

but you know what i mean.. i see this selling big.. at least for the PSP consumers

stewartjones
01-21-2005, 07:53 PM
I cant wait for the PSP, gonna have to pre-order it soon I think! :bounce:

With regards to the UMD I think it's a good idea, like the Minidisc was. To be honest the DVD is a bit out-dated imo. The Nintendo Gamecube uses tiny discs, and the case on the Minidisc was excellent, no more scratched CD's/games/movies.

heavyness
01-21-2005, 08:24 PM
this is really good news since anyone can make UMD disks. this will help the cost come down and open up the PSP to PC users. it would be nice to have a UMD drive installed on your computer and simply 'burn' a disk and take it with you for your PSP and swap with your buddies and play games.

of course, that is if they live within 2-4 hours of your house...

Geta-Ve
01-21-2005, 08:51 PM
kole - indeed... and one of the best things about the PSP i like is that its wifi.. i i just happen to have a er.. hub? is it called? in my house.. er wireless router :p anyhoo so im set

i can see having a umd burner run through USB... have the burner sit on your desk or something... or have it sit in the slot for your floppy drive.. mm?

vrf
01-22-2005, 04:25 AM
If a day came when I could burn a UMD filled with NES roms and then play them on the PSP, I might consider buying Sony's attempt at a handheld gaming machine. As it is now, though, I just can't tolerate the terrible battery life. I know others may be okay with this, but I think it's really a terrible design decision to build a portable gaming machine that has to constantly be plugged into an outlet.

(This is also why I use an AlphaSmart Neo for writing simple e-mails, reports and fiction--as opposed to a full laptop. The Neo gets 700 hours(!) of battery life, and is practically bombproof.)

Vance

Zeruel the 14th
01-22-2005, 04:40 AM
I give credit to sony for always having enthusiastic goals, they just don't always reach them. I can't help but smell 'memory stick' for non-gaming applications.

Maybe i'm just not sort. Heck, i don't even own a ipod or a PDA, i must be a freak amongst 'normal people'... who wants to watch movies on a portable? Not me. When i go places, it means i'm busy, i don't have time to sit down a play with something that says "Rob me please." I never even owned a gameboy!

DevilHacker
01-22-2005, 05:00 AM
Maybe i'm just not sort. Heck, i don't even own a ipod or a PDA, i must be a freak amongst 'normal people'... who wants to watch movies on a portable? Not me. When i go places, it means i'm busy, i don't have time to sit down a play with something that says "Rob me please." I never even owned a gameboy!

You don’t know what you’re missing... I already own a Creative 20 GB Zen Portable Media Center, so I don’t really need all the music and video features, but I guess it won’t harm anything having a little extra… As far as time to actually sit down and watch the videos on the portable unit, I always watch TV shows/listen to music while I am on the train going and coming from work...
:D

PhilWesson
01-25-2005, 03:09 PM
For those who are still concerned with the battery life of the PSP, read this (http://psp.ign.com/articles/574/574557p1.html).

Recursive
01-25-2005, 04:41 PM
For those who are still concerned with the battery life of the PSP, read this (http://psp.ign.com/articles/574/574557p1.html).

3 hours, 32 minutes.. (with wifi off)

I would still be worried

CGTalk Moderation
01-25-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.