PDA

View Full Version : A good time to be a Lightwave user

yog
09-09-2002, 01:50 PM
Just like to say it feels good to be a Lightwave user at the moment. It was only a couple of years ago that at the grass roots level Lightwave was relatively unknown in this country (UK). At times it felt like us UK wavers were the eccentrics of the 3D scene, but things have turned around dramatically in the last year. A couple people that deserve a shout out are :

Ben Smith from 3D World magazine for letting non-LW people know how good Lightwave is through his tutorials and Lightwave related product reviews. There’s now hardly a 3D artist in the country who doesn’t know how versatile Lightwave is.

What the heck, here’s a shout out to all the people at 3D World mag.

Proton for making being a Lightwave user fun again. It really feels like being part of a community rather than just a user. Also thanks for teaching us a new form of Zen patience, i.e. the weekly teasers.

There have been numerous individual users that have been a big help in spreading understanding of Lightwave. I was going to mention a few, but on reflection I wouldn’t like to leave anyone off the list and my posts are generally too long anyway.
So if your a plug-in developer, tutorial writer, somebody who is good at answering questions, or just someone who asks good questions, you have my thanks.

I’d also like to thank the people from the company that can’t be mentioned (without starting a conspiracy war), as they have also given me increased optimism for the future of Lightwave.

Let the good times roll.

Psyhke
09-09-2002, 11:05 PM
DYN-O-MITE!!! :buttrock:

..(did somone mention Good Times?)...

Yeah, people are pretty helpful around here, aren't they? I, also, will not name names, so let me just say: Hats off to the concept of helpfulness. :beer:

Fuzer
09-10-2002, 01:51 AM
Agreed!! :airguitar

wgreenlee1
09-10-2002, 02:17 AM
:beer:

Cheers to the Wavers!!!!
Love that Lightwave!!! :scream:

takkun
09-10-2002, 08:47 AM
There's so much love here... I love being a waver

Mattoo
09-10-2002, 02:26 PM
You gotta be kidding. Lightwave's probably doing ok in the states but most people I work with have very little exposure to LW (in the UK that is).
If you're working for one of the larger companies (such as myself) you'll come across people who even if they've heard of Lightwave are then surprised "they" are still MAKING it. It gets worse the more you go up the hierarchical chain. They remember it was the program they used for Babylon 5 and how it was good for space stuff and lens flares.

I could go on but I won't before this becomes a rant. I've been knocking around for a few years and I've only once managed to find an employer that was kind enough to let me use LW (they normally used 3ds max).
Because of this scarcity I've ended up learning almost all the other top 3D apps to some some degree. I'm currently using Maya right now, but always wishing I could go back to LW.

aurora
09-10-2002, 07:27 PM
I also find it incredibly sad that I am stuck spending more and more time in Maya then in Lightwave. And the more time I spend in Maya the more I want to go back to Lightwave. For years Lightwave dominated the scene and now its Light -what. I think we should all gang up put together one kick @!! piece of work and get people looking at the full power of Lightwave like they pretend to believe is in Maya. For you Maya fans, YES I have fallen in love with the power of MEL scripting, but the Wave still rules:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

leigh
09-10-2002, 07:56 PM
You know, up until just over a year ago, I'd never really seen any work done in Lightwave.
In fact, I'd only heard it's name here and there, but was absolutely clueless about the app. At the time, I was using max, which I really enjoyed back then.
It was only when I started working at the company where I am now that I had to start using Lightwave, and it was love at first sight!
Interestingly enough, the 2 biggest visual effects companies in this country both use Lightwave extensively.

I must say, Lightwave for me is just so fantastic - I can't really complain except for minor nitpicking little complaints here and there. All in all, it's such a dynamite product, even straight out of the box. And it's so refreshing to work with software that does not limit you - I truly believe that anything your mind can conceive of, can be done, somehow, in Lightwave.

3 cheers to Newtek, as well, of course, as all those people who are helping to spread the word! :beer:

takkun
09-10-2002, 08:13 PM
Mattoo, exactly what 3d industry do you work in? Just wondering because this thread is the first time I've ever heard that Lightwave was so unknown in the UK. Ever since I got into 3d I was always aware of "The Big Four" apps. It's sad that these people you work with only know Lightwave from Babylon 5... I mean that was 10 years ago! I don't even remember that show! Either they don't follow the industry very closely or the millions that A/W spends on marketing is brainwashing the masses!!!!! :surprised

leigh
09-10-2002, 08:27 PM
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwww Babylon 5 *puke*

aurora
09-10-2002, 08:38 PM
Is that what's going on with A/W, major marketing BW? I swear when ever I come up to do something in Maya that I have done previously in LW it takes me 2-4 times longer and end up with a headache instead of a smile and pat on the back.

takkun
09-10-2002, 08:46 PM
Have you guys noticed the Maya logo in the credits of movies even though every program under the sun was used to make the movie. A/W has a great marketing team (...and deep pockets)

Larry_g1s
09-10-2002, 11:16 PM
I've got dreams to fullfill, & I'm using LW in my journey to do it. :thumbsup:

Mattoo
09-11-2002, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Felytendect
Mattoo, exactly what 3d industry do you work in? Just wondering because this thread is the first time I've ever heard that Lightwave was so unknown in the UK. Ever since I got into 3d I was always aware of "The Big Four" apps. It's sad that these people you work with only know Lightwave from Babylon 5... I mean that was 10 years ago! I don't even remember that show! Either they don't follow the industry very closely or the millions that A/W spends on marketing is brainwashing the masses!!!!! :surprised

I work in games but have many friends in the Post Production industry.
The reason I believe is a combination of both the reasons you state. They are quite set in their ways (we only just stopped using Softimage|3D) and so comfortable and sure of themselves they don't need to keep up with the latest doo-dads.
Early on LW was known as the low-budget choice for CG in this country and that is still the perception in the majority of people I speak to.
A|W "actively" promote their software here. Much more than simply advertising in the magazines. The fact is, no professional artist I know buys a magazine other than the occasional Cinefex journal.
You'll find more open minded people in smaller companies, but then those companies don't buy the huge site licenses.

Labuzz
09-11-2002, 05:58 PM
hello,

Same thing for me....in France very few people are using lightwave...At this time i spend 80% of my time on Maya...Sad but true. but i have to say that Maya is a great soft and i am waiting for a lot of great things from Newtek.

JohnD
09-11-2002, 06:21 PM
Mattoo wrote
Early on LW was known as the low-budget choice for CG in this country and that is still the perception in the majority of people I speak to.

Low budget cg? Uh...Lightwave was used in Titanic ( among other big name Hollywood flics ). I don't think you can call the biggest movie of all time "Low budget".

It's just a fact that Newtek has admitted to not having the best marketing skills in the past, but they are working to correct that and I think you will begin to start hearing Lightwave's name alot more.

Mattoo
09-11-2002, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by JohnD

Low budget cg? Uh...Lightwave was used in Titanic ( among other big name Hollywood flics ). I don't think you can call the biggest movie of all time "Low budget".

You don't have to tell me that. I have an active interest in Lightwave and am aware of most of the great achievements it's users have made.
I'm saying the "perception" that prevails is that LW is low-budget, perception is rarely the truth.
Infact it's funny you mention Titanic, I had a conversation with the guy who sits next to me at work not so long ago, where he was quite sceptical when I pointed this fact out to him. He was quite insistent that Softimage was used exclusively because he saw it on the Softimage demo real around that time at a trade show. I think Newtek had a few shots from Babylon 5 and the Hummer demo running on a little TV set and the guy demoing was showing how to make a squishy car with only a few mouse clicks - ie. what I ate for breakfast that morning was more impressive.

I was hoping this wasn't going to turn into a rant -sigh- sorry. :annoyed:

JohnD
09-11-2002, 07:39 PM
No no, Not turning into a rant. I just wanted to point out that with the new marketing strategies, hopefully the "low-budget" aura of Lightwave will be dismissed finally. Cheers :beer:

aurora
09-11-2002, 07:57 PM
Have you guys seen the list of movies, TV and commercial projects that were created using LW? Its not just 'Titanic' that used LW but MANY of the greatest movies used LW. And many of the movies that Maya claims credit to, when you start digging into the creation of those movies you find that both Maya and LW :eek: were used, yet Maya gets the acclaim and only Wavers know the truth. OK so now I'm the one ranting. I think its just from my frustration trying to use Maya when I want to go home to LW where I can get twice as much done in half the time. Granted 4 years of LW compared to 2 months of Maya swings my experience and comfort level, but like the old saying why fix something that is not broke.

takkun
09-11-2002, 08:50 PM
Mattoo, I don't know if you've read the newtek forums lately but there was a long long long thread about how bad the LW Siggraph 2002 booth was and that the obnoxious selling tactics that Newtek is known for lately is not helping. Newtek is also known for listening to their customers so hopefully next year's conferences will be much better.

From what I understand, Lightwave has great saturation in the big name studios (like Pixar, ILM, etc.),but most of the companies out there don't know that.

It's all about getting the word out.

hmm, I'm not sure where I was going with this post, I'm sure you already knew all this Mattoo.

E_Moelzer
09-11-2002, 09:13 PM
Hello
I have read these comments as well, but I was actually there I can only say, that people were simply not able to get a good picture of the LW booth from the life- streams allone. I was there and the booth was great, maybe one of the best. What I really thought of being badly done was the MAYA- booth (right next to the NewTek- booth) as it showed the R2- scene from Episode2, that was actually done with LW (which many people knew and some even comented loudly).
The rest was MAYA, but rendered with Renderman (something the peole at A/W did not tell of course). Anyway, the LW - booth was good and people had the opportunity to actually try out the things shown on the stage right there on a few computers. There were great artists that helped them finding their way. So, I think it depends on the pesonal preference, as always.
CU
Elmar

Tudor
09-11-2002, 09:34 PM
I am not really sure how LW is doing here in Sweden.. Sometimes it feels like there is only very very few using it. Interns at our office have never even heard of Lightwave. It is all Maya and Max. There are no schools whatsoever here in Sweden that teaches Lightwave. All of them teach Maya or Max. There is no promotion whatsoever. LW is totally invisible..
At the same time time though, LW talents seem to pop up from everywhere. They are not the ones who go to school to learn, but rather the real enthusiasts. I see more and more of these people. Too bad I don't see them applying for a job where I work.

I think LWs future is bright though.. If I can convert someone who never used anything but maya before LW really must have impressed them :)

I'm doing my best trying to promote LW both at the office and outside it though. I don't know how many times ppl have told me I should be a salesman for newtek :)

JohnD
09-11-2002, 09:39 PM
It seems from over these past months of reading threads that Lightwave, although being branded as not marketed very well in America, is marketed even worse in Europe. Maybe that explains it's "Invisibility" to many European CG companies. Can't say for sure since I'm not a Newtek employee.

Tottebias
09-11-2002, 09:50 PM
As a swede I can say that most CG-related swedish people you meet think you are weird when you tell them you use lightwave. Some of them don't even know what it is but most of them just say "It's got a neat modeller, but the rest sucks. Max roooolz!". Kinda sad...Newtek really needs to establish a strong European marketing strategy and a nice european HQ since there are absolutely no promotion of its products over here. Discreet, A/W, and Softimage have all had promotional events from time to time and I would love to see Newtek do the same. I know ONE swedish studio that uses Lightwave.

One thing, the school I went to actually taught Lightwave when I was there..I think it was like 4 years ago. I wouldn't recommend anyone to sign up for that school though, since it really sucked. You can find it here (http://www.kantzowska.se/sindex.htm)

Meshbuilder
09-11-2002, 10:02 PM
I´m also from Sweden and I know what you mean..
:hmm:

proton
09-11-2002, 10:02 PM
NewTek Europe can be found here:

http://www.newtek-europe.com/uk/index.html

And from what I see in trade magazines....LW is mentioned more in Europe then in the US....I see LW stuff in Computer Arts and 3D world all the time....

Mattoo
09-11-2002, 10:21 PM
I think Newtek have allways promoted LW as an affordable artists tool that everyone and anyone could use rather than as an all encompassing CG "solution" that'll improve "efficiency" and "flexibility" etc etc.
These other companies appear to market their products to the managers, buyers, guys in charge rather than the artists themselves.
Even if their artists want to use something completely different to do their jobs the managers insist the product they've bought for them is the best because the guy selling it said so.
The guy selling it backed up his statements with quotes from some guy at ILM. This guy at ILM was treated nicely by said company and perhaps given a say in how the software should develop. This guy at ILM probably hasn't used any other software other than the stuff he trained on 10 years previously and the proprietry stuff they have written for him at ILM.
But that's besides the point because all your boss sees in the brochures is the quote attributed to some guy at ILM saying this software is the greatest......

Newtek charge very little for LW becasue they don't go to this kind of effort. You can't help but think they're too honest for their own good. So you can't blame them. If it wasn't for this practice LW would be way out of our price range and we'd all be using 3ds Max! -shiver-

Meshbuilder
09-11-2002, 10:40 PM
Proton, you are right.. LW is mentioned alot in 3D world and Computer Arts and these two are the only 3D magazine that exist in Sweden. But when you applying for work the company people say that they ONLY use Maya but I know for fact that there´s people at the company who works in Lightwave.. Why is that?? Do the company think it´s bad to use LW??

Anyway I think LW is growing.. 2 years ago many people never heard of it.. But today a lot of people thave respect for LW or the persons who use it..

Tottebias
09-11-2002, 10:46 PM
I think that one problem is that americans often think of europe as one, like the US, instead of a whole bunch of different countries. There are actually a huge difference in both culture, politics and economics in the north and the south. This is why much of the effort goes unnoticed. Many times it may appeal to UK but not the Swiss people. This is a global problem though, and not directed only at Newtek. But a marketing issue that I would like to be solved.

But I'm not all down, as I've seen an increasing interest in Lightwave in recent times, and it gets more and more attention in computer related magazines and stuff. Keep up the good work and some day we'll taker over the world!:p

proton
09-11-2002, 10:54 PM
And let's not forget the power of word of mouth.....so get out there and create some cool stuff with LW and show the world what LW can do!

Meshbuilder
09-11-2002, 11:00 PM
Yes, we are working on it right now :)

Tottebias
09-11-2002, 11:00 PM
Yeah Proton, I think that's what has got peoples attention directed at Lightwave recently. The awesome work that the LW community produce. And I've heard more than one "Wow!" about the gallery on lightwave3d.com. But sometimes it's just not enough. Many people still want to hear it from the BIG studios. I've seen A/W mentioned more than once in the texts after a movie where I know Lightwave was used aswell.

Bytehawk
09-11-2002, 11:03 PM
indeed

can't agree more

:beer:

proton
09-11-2002, 11:11 PM
Tottebias....I'm not sure how much they paid to be on the Credits...but I'm sure it wasn't cheap....

Tottebias
09-11-2002, 11:17 PM
You're probably right Proton, and I'm sure that money is better spent in keeping LW updated so it still kicks ass in the future. But a massive marketing campaign never hurts does it?

What you are doing for Newtek is the best marketing I've seen so far. You make us all happy and your constant feedback is fantastic. I love all the tutorials and the contest thingy. Not to mention the textures giveaway which attract even non-LW users. Great!

Meshbuilder
09-11-2002, 11:19 PM
I also heard a lot of people say WOW to the Lightwave image gallery but when they look at the video gallery they say.. Ok Lightwave works for modeling and rendering but it doesn´t look like anyone doing some animation with it?
Then they look at the Lightwave projects list and again back at the video gallery.
They render and animate scenes for Black Hawk Down, Blade 2, Scooby Doo and Star Wars and so on but there´s no video that shows exatly what they used LW for or if they really used LW for animation at all?
And then wavers wonder why people think that LW can´t be used for animation, know you know because you don´t see any LW animation on the Lightwave 3D webpage.
Look at Mayas show real you can download from Alias webpage.. A lot of animation there.. I saw LW´s showreal on sigraph live stream.. A lot of animation but i could be more, but anyway. Why can´t we download that showreal on Newteks webpage?

proton
09-11-2002, 11:23 PM
We don't have the rights to distribute the reel but we are working on updating the gallery and retrieving teh rights for more content for a DL reel...

Meshbuilder
09-11-2002, 11:27 PM
That´s really really great :)
The people that use LW for animation already know that it´s great. Now lets show the rest :buttrock:

And I think Newtek doing a great jobb already with all the new tutorials and free highres textures. And you William you are doing a lot of great work for the LW community and are one active user, I like that :beer:

JohnD
09-11-2002, 11:32 PM
I'm very happy with what Newtek has been doing lately. The Lightwave community is definitly something unique in how we all come together and the Newtek website has never looked better...just look at the update in the Image Gallery. But I have to agree with Meshbuilder...the video gallery hasn't been updated in a very long time. It would sure be great to see some clips from movies done with Lightwave in there. We all have heard the old quote "Lightwave's modeler is top notch, but it's animation capabilities fall short". Why not prove that wrong and get some video clips up in that gallery. And if someone wants to make the arguement that all Lightwave animation is done with either Project Messiah or some other program...that's totally false...especially with the enhancements of 7.5. I have to admit before version 7 and maybe a little before 7.5 I was considering getting Messiah ( especially after viewing the awesome animated short "F8"). But now...that would just be wasted money. 7.5 has all the tools I need to do the character animation I've always wanted...can't wait to see what 8 has to offer.

MK2
09-12-2002, 01:37 AM
LightWave really, really needs to improve the layouter, while the modeler is ULTRA-COOL. The render engine is also very cool, but as i said animation could use some more improvment.
Its slow to make a good bones-setup even with skelegons... just because i cant directly rotate em and looking for some "bad" bones... the HUB is no solution for this. btw i deactivated it anyway. never render an animation in layout while you edit one of the models with the HUB on. No message nothing... but when you watch your anim you see that the HUB updated your object while rendering... what now? One app or two apps?

Why LW doesent recognize its own files? Why do i have to Load Object and Load Scene? Why not a simple button like "LOAD".

Why do i have to convert skelegons to bones? What else should i do with skelegons????
And why......why are there no mutible Undos in Layout? People where crying for that feature since version 5 (maybe even 4). But when NT made a absolutley new version (6) they where still not able to implement it...? Can someone explain me this?

For version 4 or 5 there was a plug-in that was looking for all the data LW needed for a scene and collected all files incl. Pics and finally packed all that into one ZIP File. This is an absolutely MUST-HAVE feature.
LW supports mutiple cameras but you cant render all of them at the same time. How about a Prefix? Cam1_Name000.tga

Why do i have to activate Ray Trace refractions to see Hypervoxels behind a glass?

And why does that not work with the glow effect?

Why does the glow effect not appear in reflections?

When i load an object(with one surface) 2 times into layout why are they still sharing one surface, why cant i say Obj1 is now transparent and the other reflective?

Why cant LW render out viewport or isometric views... not even the Plug-Ins do it right, these are fakes... you see it when you need the Z-Buffer. And why is there no build in version?

Why dont Keyframes of MorphMixer and Sliders show up on the timeline.

Why not allowing the user to change the Coords in Modeler? First rotate the box then scale it... see how sweet it works in Maya.

Why is it impossible to animate grandients? Change color over time... scale keys over time... you know what i mean.

Wheres Cubic Reflection Mapping?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dont get me wrong here... i dont say that LW is crap,there are many work-arounds for all these things but on the other hand these are only work arounds. I use LW since version 4 i bought it when i was a teenager... and it was a guy from Softimage who told me to buy this cause its good and cheap. And it is good.

You ask why i write all this stuff? Because i dont like LW fanatics... yes i dont like em... allways telling how super cool LW is and how lame max ,maya and softimage are... ohh and a new one: A/W pays very much to be "bigger" in the credits... <- this is really disgusting

I have a love/hate affair with LW... iam allways happy to hear when they release a new version, because they have allways some neat ideas there... but you allways have to wait for the x.5 version. LW is a part of my life. Its a very cool part, because it helps me to build worlds and visions.

now you can bash me :)

n8

mk

proton
09-12-2002, 01:47 AM
I have no intention of bashing you and I don't think anyone else should either....You bring up some interesting points that NewTek is well aware of...and we are always listing to our users....

My only suggestion would be to offer your ideas and do it in a more professional way..there is no need to be so agressive and bash users that love LW.....again...I think you have some great feedback....and NewTek is happy to listen....thanx for the input...

Chewey
09-12-2002, 01:47 AM
Sounds like mr. crabby needs a hug,

or more fiber in his diet.

;>

JohnD
09-12-2002, 01:51 AM
Well MK...I don't see any reason to bash you. You obviously make valid points. I guess it all falls down to what features do individual wavers use most. ( Just an example: No animated gradients. I have yet to need this. Doesn't mean I won't EVER need it...just haven't yet so this hasn't been a problem for me.) But as wavers continue to post what they want out of future versions, I'm sure Newtek will do their best to meet most of them.
As for character animation, I highly recommend Timothy Albee's book "Lightwave 3D 7 Character Animation" for a great rig.

takkun
09-12-2002, 04:50 AM
Hey Proton, the Newtek Europe site is very cool until I clicked on the Lightwave link... it's a blank page that says "soon.." I can see now why all of these artists on the other side of the big water thing feel that Lightwave is invisible.

Proton said: And let's not forget the power of word of mouth.....so get out there and create some cool stuff with LW and show the world what LW can do!

After I learn lightwave (which, by the way is a lot of fun- last night I was up till 3:30 AM playing with animated procedural textures and the BESM shader), I plan to make some really cool short films...

hopefully they won't suck. :D

proton
09-12-2002, 12:49 PM
That's the new site...they are working on updating it....things are happening little by little...the whole world will soon know about LW :buttrock:

turbodrive3d
09-12-2002, 09:46 PM
I see a lot of reasons to bash you.

I use LW about half a year and spend 95% of my Lightwave time in Modeler and I know answers to majority of your questions. Some of even are stupid. I don't want to write answers You aren't worth it. Read the LW Manual there you will find what is HUB used for and so on.

MK2: And why......why are there no mutible Undos in Layout? People where crying for that feature since version 5 (maybe even 4).

Guys from Newtek, please never make multiple Undos in Layout. Let them cry.

MK2: I use LW since version 4 i bought it when i was a teenager...

If you are so experienced user you had to hear about Lscript. It's a programming language developed specially for those users who wants to add some feature to Lightwave (Newtek team rather small and they are not gods - they cannot satisfy needs of all users) I am sure you can solve your problem with multiple Undos, loading different lw formats with one button and so on. (Just curiously, is it so hard to load objects and scenes with different buttons? As for me it even convenient. I always know that I am loading).

MK2: Dont get me wrong here... i dont say that LW is crap,there are many work-arounds for all these things but on the other hand these are only work arounds

If you know workarounds what for you made that post???

MK2: I have a love/hate affair with LW...

It's you own problem

MK2: but you allways have to wait for the x.5 version

Are max ,maya and softimage have less patches? It's usual practice for computer business.

MK2: but you allways have to wait for the x.5 version

Can you make better application? I want to try it.

MK2: how lame max ,maya and softimage are

As for me they are not lame they are even too "professional". They have thousands of useless features which nobody will never use that makes them huge, buggy and hard to learn and use. (not to mention bad render and inconvenient modeling tools). Maybe they are good for studios(which can allow themselves software support) but not for personal usage. Even guy from Softimage knows it :))

MK2: ohh and a new one: A/W pays very much to be "bigger" in the credits... <- this is really disgusting

Do you know the truth? I will listen with pleasure.

MK2: dont like LW fanatics... yes i dont like em...

I am LW fanatic and I don't like dummies who can not arrange their files in proper way after 7 years of LW usage and looking for plugins to zip their projects . So what? I don't write about it in Lightwave forum. LW known for his community with talented artists and programmers, most of them are cool guys faithful to LW. Lw isn't the part of their life. LW is their life. And nobody force you to be part of community.

MK2: dont like LW fanatics... yes i dont like em...

Why do you use 7 years softwave which was made by and with the help of LW fanatics? Fanatics always move the progress.

MK2: And it is good.

Of course LW is good. Otherwise you wasn't here and don't lash it.

MK2: And it is good.

So why do you use Maya?

MK2: because it helps me to build worlds and visions.

Where can I see them?

I can understand your post if you was known cg artist with big amount of succesful projects but I never saw name MK2 in cg news. Any links?

lol I am very angry

Lightwave-forever

takkun
09-12-2002, 10:58 PM
Proton said: I have no intention of bashing you and I don't think anyone else should either...

I think that's good advice, I'd hate to see this thread digress into mindless rants.

leigh
09-12-2002, 11:09 PM
Yeah people, come on - GROUP HUG!!
Let's not turn this thread into a war, ok? We've all had our say, now let's not try and shove these down people's throats.
I know it isn't a war yet, but it looks like it could become one if things carry on in this vein....

Peace, people, peace :D

MrTootles
09-13-2002, 12:16 AM
I actually just ordered my copy of LW 7.5, and I do have to say that the main reason was seeing the support Newtek is giving... I personally think that's best marketing strategy there is: hop on the boards and let people know that you will listen, you will help, and you will try your best to develop the content they're asking for.

Oh, and I've seen quite a few jaw-dropping renders... :thumbsup:

proton
09-13-2002, 12:51 AM
Welcome to the family:wavey:

CIM
09-13-2002, 01:27 AM
Another good reason: Maya 4.5 upgrade is $999/$1,199 (Geez! A .5 upgrade!).

MK2
09-13-2002, 08:20 PM
Hey...

cool, neat Ppls here.
I dont wanna start a war myself. Dont need that... but i know i allways write in a agressive style, sorry for that...
Iam allways getting upset when i read stuff when lw-ppls begin to attack other programs. Not because they are LW users but because iam one, i really dont share that kind of view. How shall i talk with a Maya-User when he thinks that all the LW Ppls are fanatics? Yeah maybe i should not talk with a person thinkin that way but maybe i can learn something from it.

Proton its good to see an NT Person here. I dont visit the NT Site.... too many fanatics there :)

mk

Turbodrive3d : ???

Cman
09-13-2002, 10:12 PM
Hi,
so I read turbodrive3D rail against mk2, and of course I like LW and LScript, so I thought I'd do something about one of MK2's problems.

The attached script will open a general requester and recognize whether you're loading an object or scene file. Also, it always opens the last location you loaded from (Scene or Object) - and gives a warning if you load a Scene that you will close the current scene.

One catch, the files must have an extension ".lws" or ".lwo". ;) -lol
If there's a serious problem with this I could adapt it to actually check IN the file - for example I know Macs usually don't use extensions - but this is easier. :shrug:

So, try it please and let me know how/if/where it needs improvement. :thumbsup:

E_Moelzer
09-13-2002, 11:00 PM
Hello People
Hey Turbodrive. People, who know me, know hat I am very pro- LW, but I always loved LW for its great community as well.
So lets dont bash each other! It is much better to help each other! So if you find someone critizising LW because of a lack of knowlegde, answer the questions and take it apart that way!
I know MK2 to be a great artist, who has been around for quite a long time. Some of his points are quite valid.
MK2, concerning your question on the Zip- file: There is "Conman" (contentmanager), that ships with LW, that will transfer all you images and objects in the scene (and the scene file as well of course) into a new content- directory, rewriting all files so that the structure stays intact. You just have to seelct the new content- dir afterwards and zip it...
Cman, cool script and a great way of answering MK2s problem!
Peace!
CU
Elmar

turbodrive3d
09-14-2002, 05:22 AM
I don't want bash anybody.
I just think MK2 rather offensive for me.
I just don't like this sort of people ( MK2 wrote "Proton its good to see an NT Person here. I dont visit the NT Site.... too many fanatics there" )
I am just defending my favorite softwave (Somebody must do it!!!)
To E_Moelzer: I don't answer questions in such aggresive form.
Not to mention this tread has different topic.
To Cman: Nice to meet you. I like your plugins. I hope MK2 will try your script once at least. Although I have doubts as to it (he knows many work-arounds :))
I see no reasons to continue this discussion.

Lightwave-forever!!!

Labuzz
09-14-2002, 08:53 AM
About content manager :

I have to say that this tool is not not useful at all...After using it many times i figure out than he can only work when you have a clean content directory...So its only useful if you want to duplicate the content directory...Newtek should improve it there is to much of failed this and failed that...

Ligntwave need Xref.

E_Moelzer
09-14-2002, 12:30 PM
Hey Labuzz
Content- Manager works, even without a clean content- directory.
If you have elements from outside in your scene, CM will display a exernal next to it. You can set its realtive path for the new content- dir by hand in CM then.
CU
Elmar

MK2
09-14-2002, 04:06 PM
Cman:

Great... exactlly that! Okay for next version implement mutiple selection :) Ok does not work with scenes but a short alert would do it there. Great again... hey i have many ideas :) so i f u looking for new stuff hehehe...
btw. i have a "volumetric" grandient plugin here...
you have two null objects and between them the plugin makes a grandient... the strange thing is i cant animate it... moving around the nulls only works on keyframe 0.... any idea what that can be?

E_M: Danke das hilft...

Cman
09-15-2002, 02:26 AM
Ah, multiple selection of objects. Hmmm...I wonder if that's even possible through LScript.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.