PDA

View Full Version : Blah,Blah,Blah!...T.Rex

joel3d
01-20-2005, 09:32 PM
Heres a project Ive been working on for a while.

animation (http://www.joel3d.com/Movies/T.RexTest.mov)

teddy61174
01-21-2005, 01:55 AM
Hey man,

Great modeling and rigging!!! Good movement too! Can't wait to see it textured!

Keep it up man, :applause:

Teddy61174

cypress92
01-21-2005, 12:28 PM
It's the same model as in Jurassic Park, it's my favourite.

Fantastic work, congratulations. :applause:

seirim
01-21-2005, 01:13 PM
What software do you use?
CAT, CS,...?
Good walking
I love dinosaurs...:love:

disrupt
01-21-2005, 02:35 PM
This is looking pretty nice but I think you could show a lot more weight. The hips don't have much up and down. He is very heavy looking, but the animation doesn't really show it. He needs to have more of a down position with his hips after the front foot hits the ground. Not alot, but enough to give him some more visual weight. Right now it kindof looks like his hips are hanging from a string and the legs are touching down where they need to. All the motion is really nice though. He looks very alive.

Silverwyvern
01-21-2005, 11:09 PM
BEAUTIFUL model, but as was stated, the weight isn't quite there. I also feel he's a bit front heavy. Looks like he should be falling on his face alittle.

One thing that would drive home the weight a bit would be rolling the shoulders and having some signifigant secondary action on his head as he steps.

Just a thought.

jussing
01-21-2005, 11:19 PM
Wow, the model is super, and so is the rigging. What are all the little bumps on the surface - bump, displacement map, z-brush?

Do you have a WIP here, or can you tell us some more? Polycount, wires, etc. :)

I agree with the two previous posters about weight, though.

Cheers,
- Jonas

joel3d
01-22-2005, 01:22 AM
Hey Thanks people.

Teddy:
yeah, it is actually textured just really bad lighting.

Cypress:
um, Same animal ,different model.

Seirim:
I used Maya, and MuscleTK plugin.

Disrupt:
Thanks for you help! Ill try harder next time. This was the first animation and I am using a new plugin for muscle deformation. So I did just a sort of simple walk cycle. I also was trying to test out the rig.

Silverwyvern:
Oh yeah...That a bummer, I think its front heavy too, I was trying to avoid going back and remodeling and rigging and all that....Oh shoot!

jonas:
Hey there thanks! I only have a simple bumpmap, not yet completed. I thought of using displacement, but it is a killer at rendertime. I really like all the stuff done with Zbrush too, but I have never tried it.

Oh yeah, I have a WIP, Here it is... (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=175025)

Anyways, thanks again Joel

Zabian
01-22-2005, 01:38 AM
Nice.I think it's really good.

joel3d
01-22-2005, 02:20 AM
Nice.I think it's really good.

Well Thank you.

Sorry I didnt understand your Pmessage, but I have been getting a bunch of requests to work on MODs, whatever that is...Sorry I cant afford to do volunteer stuff.

jussing
01-22-2005, 12:24 PM
Hey Thanks people.
jonas:
Oh yeah, I have a WIP, Here it is... (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=175025)

Great, thank you! The muscle system is beautiful.

- Jonas

anandkanatt
01-22-2005, 05:59 PM
your work is absolutely brilliant, but i think it can be made better by porperly balancing the weight of the dino when it walks, and lighting has to be taaken more care ... Hope to see a better job from you... carry on your work!

the_podman
01-23-2005, 07:10 AM
That's some really nice motion there. You must be running a super PC to be able to handle playblasts with such heavy geo. Mine is too wimpy :( which is why I'm looking into 3rd party plugins like motion builer and messiah for my animation needs.

anyhoo, my question is, how many "contollers" are you keying? You've got some insane amount of secondary motion happening in there and I was wondering how much of it is keyed and how much is driven by dynamic simulations and softbodies, etc.

Also, any chance on seeing a shot of what the rigg looks like?(with controllers).

Thanks,
-pod

joel3d
01-23-2005, 03:50 PM
Also, any chance on seeing a shot of what the rigg looks like?(with controllers).

Thanks,
-pod

Hi pod

I have a very wimpy computer. (about 10 years old.)

I dont look at the hi-rez geo when animating, just the joints and the muscle system...I put up a webpage showing the different layers underneath, You can see it here. (http://joel3d.com/Tyrannosaurus.htm) As far as the rig goes, I tried to keep it simple as possible. So it is easy to mannage the animation.

jussing
01-23-2005, 04:08 PM
On a side-note, I notice all your renders have a thin matte line around them... looks like a premultiplied alpha issue. Are you compositing them in post using the alpha channel? If so, try telling your comp package to interpret the alpha channel as "premultiplied". :)

Cheers,
- Jonas

joel3d
01-23-2005, 04:38 PM
On a side-note, I notice all your renders have a thin matte line around them... looks like a premultiplied alpha issue. Are you compositing them in post using the alpha channel? If so, try telling your comp package to interpret the alpha channel as "premultiplied". :)

Cheers,
- Jonas

Your right Jonas, thanks.

BTW, I love your lava! You have a very smart looking demo!

Opaxity
01-24-2005, 11:25 PM
that is tight man. If i may suggest, the mouth closes a bit too fast. But just a minor detail. Very very nice job on it man.

holbroal
01-25-2005, 01:52 AM
Hey man,

Nice motion, very smooth, and the model is of course very nice.
Only problem is that there is no weight in the stride, in the y axis. Its COG is not going up and down (at least not enough to be noticeable). I think it will make your animation much stronger (and T-rex more menacing) if you put some keys on the passing position and the stride position in the y-axis. For pacing, make his COG go up, for the stride, make his COG come down fast, and then come up slower (playing with the arcs will help with this).
Hope this helps!
Allen

joel3d
01-26-2005, 09:58 PM
I probably should have started this thread in the WIP forum.

Oh well, heres a new ANIMATION UPDATE (http://joel3d.com/Movies/T.RexTest01.mov)

CGTalk Moderation
01-26-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.