PDA

View Full Version : Moving root while feet stay problem. Easy

4dartist
01-20-2005, 07:17 PM
I have a quick easy question. I'm using Maya 5.0 and am riggin my character. I am using Ik for the legs of course, and can't for the life of me figure out how to get the IK to solve when i move the root around.

I can make a new scene, create root, hip, knee, and ankle bones. attack IK to hip then ankle. Then move the root and the whole bone systems moves as one, the feet don't stay planted. I've spent 2 years using lightwave, and i guess i've forgotten how to get this to work, i thought it was as simple as keying the IK handle then it would start to solve as you move the root, but it doesnt seem to be the case.

Thanks.

Benjamin

4dartist
01-20-2005, 07:23 PM
Oh my, like 5 mins after i post that, i think i found it.. i was looking for hours i swear. I guess when you create IK there is an option for sticky. I have never seen that before, i guess in college i used maya 4.0 so it was different. I hate how 1 button can stump me for so long.

I'll keep trying the sticky option and see what it does for me.

Benjamin

Coaster
01-20-2005, 08:10 PM
Don't bother with sticky, just group the IK handles to themselves. Handles should stay planted now.

M.E.L.
01-20-2005, 09:59 PM
Hey man, no need to use sticky...it's a pain to animate with!

Just group all your IkHandles together and toss them into your hierarchy. Keeps them planted on the ground and if you want to take it a step further, add more group nodes for pivot points to control foot roll, heel lift, toe lift etc :)

-shawn

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.