PDA

View Full Version : One Choice - What Would You Like In The Next Version

Kaiser_Sose
09-09-2002, 09:22 AM
I am not really sure but probably some type of integrated painting sytem that can seemlessly use photoshop filters and plugins

I suppose if this were to be made it would be many bucks for just the upgrade

CIM
09-09-2002, 09:41 AM
There are rumors of hooking up Aura with the hub so you can paint your texture maps in LW. I don't think they'll hook up with Adobe stuff anytime soon.

Anyway, we've already had the "What's going to be in Lightwave 8/Lightwave Mecca" threads already. Most of the stuff is just bs and all is practically rumors due to NT's top secret stance.

Go do work instead of trying to guess what "might" be in a new version of LW.

Kaiser_Sose
09-09-2002, 09:44 AM
I asked what you, the LW user, wanted in the next version :airguitar

yon dabuda
09-09-2002, 09:53 AM
something like the vertex paint plugin, but for quick creation of smart sk*n deforms, and it would be intergrated into modeller, not with a seperate UI. :thumbsup:

Meshbuilder
09-09-2002, 11:31 AM
I want to have vertex paint in layout for painting weights.. That would be so coooool!!! :bounce:

E_Moelzer
09-09-2002, 12:06 PM
I would love to have everything streamlined. All tiny bugs and annoyances removed etc. MD should get a major rework. Thats all, I want.
CU
Elmar

Mike RB
09-09-2002, 02:55 PM
all the property panels to be the same size

wgreenlee1
09-09-2002, 03:51 PM
An LScript or plugin for talent and creativity.:D

UnrealSnowman
09-09-2002, 04:38 PM
While still trying to learn the app, my only wish is:

Better Documentation..

PotatoHead
09-09-2002, 04:51 PM
lower price?

Valkyrien
09-09-2002, 05:06 PM
hey look, it's Kaiser_Sose!

remember me? How 'bout Fabio or Cobra or the rest of the LWG gang?:twisted:

Valkyrien
09-09-2002, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by PotatoHead
lower price?

educational version is $400...;) not too shabby eh?

Julez4001
09-09-2002, 05:24 PM
Faster Hypervoxels -- way faster
Faster Motion Designer

and a "setup mode.

RuiFeliciano
09-09-2002, 05:44 PM
I hope LW8 comes with a ultra photorealistic printer that allows me to make $100 bills so I can spend the rest of my life on some remote island instead of working overtime without vacations.

Chewey
09-09-2002, 05:59 PM
A feature set that will motivate every gaming company currently using Max, Maya, XSI to dump em and use Lightwave instead.

Is that too much to ask for?

;>

3DDave
09-09-2002, 06:06 PM
Improved OpenGL implementation
Improved memory use for screamerNet (lwsn.exe)
Integrated support for render passes
A (stand alone) render manager program that works
Subdivision surfaces with 5 or more points

Dave

Labuzz
09-09-2002, 06:46 PM
LETS GO:

- Custom ALL SHORTCUTS (for example i dont like: the 0 for maximize, the Ctrl+1...2 for display i prefer toggle for this kind of things, and i hate the roll Cam on the alt + left Mouse; i just want the tumble around with alt+LMB). I want to be able to define toggles for Grid, cage, tumble around selection without loosing the tumble around effect when i zoom...This is VERY IMPORTANT if NEWTEK want more people on Lightwave.

- Square selection in modeler and Some good Gyzmos ( the rotation gyzmo in layout is not "visible", the maya or xsi is better )in modeler and layout for transformation when i need ( for example scale non proportio in perspective in 1 dimension ).Gyzmos for UV, Displace, any projection...

- Snap things in modeler and layout (vertex, grid,
Make live or AutoGrid, place higlight for light and cam,...) .Toggle for relative and Absolute...

-Better display: I want to see Vertex when nothing is selected.Everybody in the game industry like to see the wireframe with texture ( and in layout too ) for Cut, deformation... Toggle for highlight the faces selected ( look at max ).

-Better layers --> Colors, Wireframe shade, flat shade, subpatch cage... on every layer.

-echo of ALL COMMAND in the script Editor ( in modeler too ) and the way to DRAG and DROP this commands in User Windows ( Shelves if you want). This is the best way to begin with Scripting...
I dont want to see "SelectItem 20000000" when i select the "Crazy_light1".

- Square selection in modeler and Some good Gyzmos ( the rotation gyzmo in layout is not "visible", the maya or xsi is better )in modeler and layout for transformation when i need ( for example scale non proportio in perspective in 1 dimension ).Gyzmos for UV, Displace, any projection...

-Lattices and better 'Modifiers or deformers', the bend modifier is a good example...With Better Gyzmos ( more friendly please ) .

- Better parameterization control ( degree 0...) for spline tool. For example when i use the lathe tool with a spline. better spline tool in general ( Boolean and Trim)

-EDGES with REAL edge weighting. Smoothing ( the MAYA way si the Better ) outside the Surface Editor. EDGE tool integration.

- Bevel on vertex and edges.

- Multi selection in layout ( light + cam +...all i want ), Group node, transform node and record pivot for ALL TRANSFORM ( some kind of Freeze transform if you want )=> BETTER HIERARCHY

-SETUP MODE YESSS with component editor, ( no more modeler for this,layout for that and Vertex paint...no future in this Workflow )with Better IK and Pole vector... So no more multi goals...

-KEYTRACK integration.

- I want to move and zoom in camera view. Align to view fonction ( this is easy in script i think)

-Better Gradient :
Gradient U and V,...
openglPreview for procedural (for Gradient in first place...)
input parameter: projection Gyzmo
Map able color,alpha
KeyAble Keys

-Better procedural : http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18744

-DYNAMICS,PARTICLES...

I HOPE THE BEST FOR LIGHTWAVE AND I AM READY TO PAY MORE FOR A GREAT UPDATE.:p

UnrealSnowman
09-09-2002, 07:21 PM
Hmm.. my alterego has a vote too:

More that the one undo in Layout, pretty please... :cry:

Lizard Head
09-09-2002, 09:22 PM
It will be what is, and what it is is what we will use, and we will use it as it is, and learn to do with and without, but what it is is lightwave.......say no more!

LW ROX

Adios
Lizard*

LyonHaert
09-09-2002, 11:13 PM
amen.

though multiple undos in layout is the best idea so far.

Lizard Head
09-10-2002, 01:06 AM
My vote has little to do with toolsets and or oddly acting functions and more to the esoteric, The interface to be exact. The 5.6 looked professional this new one since 6.X on up is child-ish, shaded buttons and such, But, what that has to do with function is of no consequence, so I hesitate to bring it up, but I did.

That and more un-do's like everyone else said!

Adios
Lizard*

anim8r2
09-10-2002, 02:04 AM
If we have to limit it to one thing; a "deep paint 3D"ish app attached to the Hub. Oh yeah....

uncommongrafx
09-10-2002, 02:43 AM
If we have to limit it to one thing; a "deep paint 3D"ish app attached to the Hub. Oh yeah....
Have a videotoaster[2]? Done by Aura with the next build.

:bounce: :buttrock: :airguitar

Robert Wilson
UnCommon Grafx

anieves
09-10-2002, 03:27 PM
as Laubuzz said:

-EDGES with REAL edge weighting. Smoothing ( the MAYA way si the Better ) outside the Surface Editor. EDGE tool integration.

- Bevel on vertex and edges.

Man this would be SWEET!

on that note, some sort of automatic 5+ point poly to 4 point poly fixer? converter? Select the offending poly run the function to add points as needed to convert to 4 point polys automatically.

Lattices deformators would be cool too.
Strata Studio Pro had that feature since 2.0 5yrs. ago!!! common Studio Pro!
yikes! man I'm glad I switched :buttrock:

CIM
09-10-2002, 05:44 PM
Most of the stuff you ppl. are requesting can easily be done with mostly free script/plugins. I suggest you check out Flay.com before making your request.

leigh
09-10-2002, 06:48 PM
I wish that the little preview sphere in the Surface Editor could show UV projected textures properly...

Kaiser_Sose
09-10-2002, 07:34 PM
I think someone is in a bad mood

RobinOberg
09-10-2002, 11:00 PM
improvements to the renderings system(like native SSS and faster radiosity/caustics) would be nice :)

hmm, or perhaps better bones system...

eh, or, maybe nurbs support in modeler...

or, hmm, kinda like stacks(like in c4d) in layout...

cant decide... :)

Valkyrien
09-10-2002, 11:14 PM
what's wrong with the current NURBS system? you mean you want to be able to see the subdivided polygons?:confused:

chris411
09-10-2002, 11:51 PM
For someone like me who is still learning and doesn't know half of the things everyone has suggested-
I like the interface layout, makes perfect sense to me ( I hate drop down menus) but the look of it is so drab. The gray colors just don't look very good to me. Maybe change it to the standard windows gray instead, and have the option to have the option for the buttons to either be as they are now (color coded like now, but less gray) or a little picture maybe.

leigh
09-10-2002, 11:52 PM
LOL there is NO NURBS system as such :D
Lightwave only has sub-divs to my knowledge, it has no real NURBS.
Maya, XSI and Max have real NURBS (although I don't like Max's NURBS at all!), but Lightwave sadly doesn't...

Lizard Head
09-11-2002, 12:34 AM
I don't know why anyone would want NURBS...NURBS is the modeling method of the past..

Adios
Lizard*

Valkyrien
09-11-2002, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by Leigh
LOL there is NO NURBS system as such :D
Lightwave only has sub-divs to my knowledge, it has no real NURBS.
Maya, XSI and Max have real NURBS (although I don't like Max's NURBS at all!), but Lightwave sadly doesn't...

which is pretty funny cause that's what everyone calls it...;) and according to Justin Winters, it's not even true subdivision! And neither is MAX's...*shrug*

Valkyrien
09-11-2002, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by Lizard Head
I don't know why anyone would want NURBS...NURBS is the modeling method of the past..

hey, stick with what works dude!;):D

anieves
09-11-2002, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by CIM
Most of the stuff you ppl. are requesting can easily be done with mostly free script/plugins. I suggest you check out Flay.com before making your request.

The problem with that is that tools made by hobbists without huge budgets usually don't have decent docs, you have to prey that they make Lscripts or us mac users would be out of luck.; sometimes are buggy and not reliable enough for daily production work. Don't get me wrong I love to search for tools that make my job easier and I trully appreciate the work these guys go through to make these things for the rest of the LW community to use but there is really no reason that LW should not have some of the aftermentioned features. Chances are that they would work better, ported to every platform and they would be better documented and develop to be better tools in the future. Hell, some of the features in the currect version were aquired plugs from other ppl. Why shouldn't LW be able to do what Edgetools and Bandslice do out-of-the-box? It would be a Stronger and more competitive app in the market.

It just takes one LW update to break a plug.

That said I don't mind paying for a plug that works and that I know will get updated in future LW releases, for example, Worley labs.

I just think that "check Flay before making a request" is a lame excuse.

CIM
09-11-2002, 03:29 AM
"Why shouldn't LW be able to do what Edgetools and Bandslice do out-of-the-box?"

Because the NT programmers are a bunch of lazy asses who just sit around and goof off, didn't you know? Maybe they should hire ex-Alias programmers who know what they're doing like Discreet did.

Well, in realitity, you know that the programmers can only do so much. So, if you can't do with what's out there, then you can just do without.

I was always wondering why Worley, Dynamic Realities, etc don't try and make plugins that ppl. actually need. Most of them only focus on super-charging Lightwave's already great features.

When are we gonna see Worley make some super-highend animation tools or some other guys do something we really need?

Cman
09-11-2002, 05:07 AM
My one thing?:

The Ultimate Surface and Texture Editor for Lightwave 3D (http://users.otenet.gr/~darkjedi/Index.htm)

JohnD
09-11-2002, 06:17 AM
Hey CIM,
I'm just curious why always post with such a bad attitude? I don't i've ever seen one post from you that wasn't either bashing someone or critisizing or telling someone to "Think before u do this and do that and post this and post that." What's your deal man?:thumbsdow

Lizard Head
09-11-2002, 06:28 AM
Dont get down on CIM,, every body has a point of view , if his attitude seems bad it is based only on your standards, not everyone elses.

Adios
Lizard*

JohnD
09-11-2002, 06:31 AM
Well, from what i've read and not just in this thread, seems like others feel the same way I do. I was just asking a question and don't have a problem with other people's opinions...but common curiosity.

JohnD
09-11-2002, 06:41 AM
And incidently..."Go do work instead of trying to guess what "might" be in a new version of LW" isn't really an opinion. More like a harsh order.

ambient-whisper
09-11-2002, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by Chewey
A feature set that will motivate every gaming company currently using Max, Maya, XSI to dump em and use Lightwave instead.

Is that too much to ask for?

;>

not doable. mirai tried that and failed miserably :/ and at the time it was WAY ahead of the game as far as game creation/mocap tools went.

CIM
09-11-2002, 07:19 AM
I'm not being "mean". These types of posts pop up nearly every week on this board or another in some shape. I was simply suggesting to spend your energy on something more prouctive than wishing.

DotPainter
09-11-2002, 10:50 AM
I would have to say that it is a toss up between a few things for me:

Modeller:

Less flipping of polys whenever doing any sort of modeller operation. Since I have never seen any other modelling/rendering app that has this problem, except LW, it must be because of the single sided poly implementation. They could have a setting in modeller that would automatically make 2 sided polys as a default.

Allow to extrusions and smooth shift to scale beyone 100% interactively using the mouse.

Layout:

Faster Rendering overall. Improve raytracing to the point where reflections/refraction are faster/better and dont kill render times and add soft (blurry reflections). Add raytraced soft shadows for all light types. Treamlined bone system that allows for bones to be completely i interchangeable between objects. User configurable number of undos.

JohnD
09-11-2002, 02:50 PM
Gotcha CIM. It's all good.

Chewey
09-11-2002, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by ambient-whisper
not doable. mirai tried that and failed miserably :/ and at the time it was WAY ahead of the game as far as game creation/mocap tools went.

I was talking a bit of "tongue in cheek" as the saying goes.

Yeah, after seeing Bay's and other's(yours!)videos showing the power of Mirai it just goes to show ya that without an effective marketing plan even the coolest "stuff" gets unnoticed and unnapreciated.

proton
09-11-2002, 03:35 PM
Thanx for the input...NewTek is listening:thumbsup:

Kaiser_Sose
09-11-2002, 03:41 PM
After thinking about it, I must change mine. I am far from needing such a complex painter ... I first need to learn to model better

I am changing mine to something like Maya's hotbox ... tht would be great

Labuzz
09-11-2002, 04:35 PM
for Lizard Head

"I don't know why anyone would want NURBS...NURBS is the modeling method of the past.. "

Nurbs are very useful : example animation..look at Maya where you have Nurbs with history. you can for example make plane with nurbs, make this plane a soft body and apply turbulence on it. then you can project nurbs curve on this plane and with history the curve move with the plane. the you can make this curve a motion path for any object in your scene...
Another example : Suppose you have 2 nurbs object...You can make intersect at a given frame, then when they intersect you tell Maya to create a curve and use this curve for particule emission.
you can also define a behavior for particule with U and V direction on nurbs object...There 's thousand of way to use nurbs and not only for modeling...You should take a look at gnomon video, there 's a lot of things to learn for sure...

Sorry for my very bad english...

UnrealSnowman
09-11-2002, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Kaiser_Sose
I am changing mine to something like Maya's hotbox ... tht would be great
You can do that already.. With the shift+ctrl pressed while you use your mousebuttons.

But first you really need to reoganize the menus in these popups, cuz they are really messy (pesonal opinion). And second they are a bit small (maya's hotbox a big and easy to use. But the generel functionality is there already ;)

However you don't get the 'zones' to change layout and the ones to turn on and off ui elements and so on. But actually I think Lightwave don't need it as much as Maya. Hey.. Don't use Lightwave if you want all the Maya functionality.. Then ride with the horsie named Alias :rolleyes:

Lizard Head
09-11-2002, 08:10 PM
Labuzz: Your English is GREAT!!!

It is awesome that a particular Package such as MAYA has enhanced thier toolset for system such as NURBS, but the fact remains that every package impliments NURBS differently and that does not allow for cross platform compatiblility very effectivley

The future for these Packages is one where each studio will not be brand loyal, but instead they will have to own one of each to compete in the market place, and the more a particular software hinders the workflow by being proprietary the less it will be used

SubDivision modeling, Polygonal modeling is by far the most cross-platform friendly and thats why I view it as the future way of modeling.

Adios
Lizard*

UnrealSnowman
09-11-2002, 08:21 PM
About NURBS.. Lightwave is so cheap that if you need the precicion that NURBS give you - Go offer a few buks on Rhino 3D (www.rhino3d.com).. It exports polys to Lightwave very fine.

As for the Maya/Max parametic way of implementing NURBS while animating and so.. Hmm.. Sounds nice, but that would mean that Lightwave should be all parametic with it's construction history and stuff.. Hence not really BE Lightwave.. That's my opinion though.. :shrug:

Bytehawk
09-12-2002, 12:14 AM
for LW8 i want only one thing,
that is : all they forgot to add to LW7

:bounce:

element412
09-12-2002, 12:42 AM
-integrated hair and fur. (great one not a stupid friendly one..)
-better integrated animation and bones tools...(at least easier to understand...)
-the more than one undo things too!
-i know lots of thing can be plugged in... but lw needs to be really more complete.....

lement

proton
09-12-2002, 01:00 AM
element412-

I'd love to hear more specifics on your requests....

Lizard Head
09-12-2002, 03:47 AM
You never know how dark the night can be until you see the light of day,

I ve been using Lightwave 5.6 forever now, recently installed the Demo of 7.5 and I am amazed.

For anyone who wants to complain about what 7.5 lacks, they shoulds try 5.6 for a while and realize the progress. you'd complain no more.

Adios
Lizard*
Still waiting on Discovery NEWTEK!!!!

:wavey:

mjm
09-12-2002, 04:17 AM
Just to be a tech-geek...

I'd like to see some more work done on the refinement/pushing of the LW smoothing algorithm. Perhaps expand the smoothing algorithm to actually include a number of different methods, allowing the user to choose a preferred method for different situations. Ie, basic LW smoothing (as is now), perhaps some Cardinal implementation (in cases where just a broad shape is needed), etc. Maybe just like one guy who spends all day R&Ding with smoothing algorithms :p. I'd love it if LW pushed past Catmull-Clark (A|W has some big pockets to license that from Pixar, btw) in terms of volume definition based upon actual mesh points (rather than averaging those points/edges and refining polygons from that median). Um...yes.... Oh, and Lightwave does have true subdivision. See the wonderful little white curves you see in Wireframe shade when you're in Sub-D? Those are basically the limits to the refinement based upon the given polygons.

*returns to his cave*

RobinOberg
09-12-2002, 09:48 AM
its interesting that about 50% of the posts in this thread is people saying that this or that feature is available in that plugin or that small program, the question was what feature do you want in lightwave, not in another program...

CIM
09-12-2002, 10:23 AM
"-integrated hair and fur. (great one not a stupid friendly one..)"

Maybe Newtek should pay Joe Alter a million plus bucks for integrated Shave and a Haircut like Avid did for XSI.

Haha.

Kaiser_Sose
09-12-2002, 11:59 AM
Cmon cim, cant people just express themselves freely without you constantly taking shots at them

Just ignore the thread if it bothers you that much

The United State just payed tribute to over three thousand fallen citezens ... its trime to lighten up

dark_lotus
09-12-2002, 12:59 PM
I'm sorry but I HAVE to say that I'd like to see something very similar to Maya's Paint Effects.

I've been wanting to be able to grow my own fields of flowers. etc etc.

CIM
09-12-2002, 01:29 PM
"its trime to lighten up"

Didn't you see the "Haha" at the end?

Chewey
09-12-2002, 01:38 PM
CIM, I'm starting to get the impression that some people are focusing on your "scarey green man with the sour lookin face" avatar and not on your words.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.