PDA

View Full Version : Robot?

w00tw00t
01-20-2005, 06:00 AM
Hi
have made this guy a day ago
i really could use some c&c's cause most ppl say its bad but dont say the reason
and i cant do anything with that
http://users.pandora.be/alexzijnsite/rob.jpg

some tips on how to improve it etc would be good :)
thx

DoInferno
01-21-2005, 04:06 AM
It´s not bad man, but there is something that botters a little. He is very "imobile" (sorry, bad english...). In this position, it looks like your robot is unpluged, turned off...

Since he has the basic form of a skeleton, it won´t be hard for you to drawn him again at a more interesting position.

To make it even better you can think on his position related to the background, also. Move him a little away from the center of the page and Voilá!

Those are very basics tips, but don´t forget you can always use a background and some collors too. But worry first about the three paragraphs above!

Good luck, keep practicing and visit the daily sketch group (http://www.cgtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=130)!

Swoop
01-21-2005, 06:31 AM
Here are a few crit points from me:

His crotch is out of perspective. Looks like his hips are drawn at a straight forward view, but the rest is slightly from the side.
Like previously stated he looks very stiff, and not active. IF this is your intention to portray him as such i would suggest doing it in another way, like having min bend slightly in the knees and drop his head down a little... so it looks like hes standing but extremely relaxed (if robots are that way).
Thirdly try adding some more detail. Like a background... perhaps some more detail on the robot itself.. you have a plate on the torso, why not add some more in certain areas.. would make him look more interesting. Even add some stuff sticking "out" of the shape of the body as it is now.
Very the line width of your drawing.. keeps the lines interesting to the viewer.

And finally i would suggest shortening the arms about the length of the hand.. seems a bit too long to me, but i could be wrong. Just seems that his hand should end where the wrist is now :D

Hope this helped, and show us your progress.

BTW: If you are doing concept work you might have to draw the same character over and over again untill it's right. Dont always correct the same drawing, as you will at a certain point not be able to keep correcting without making the drawing look wierd i think. So dont be afraid to draw the character over again, perhaps draw several versions of him, and combine the features you like to one drawing :D

Rudeone
01-21-2005, 11:02 AM
People who judge your work to be bad, but can't give a reason for it, obviously don't know anything about art, they probably just don't like it, or maybe they are just jealous because you have a skill that they don't have, pay no attention to them!

As for the robot, doesn't seem bad to me at all, it's kind of simple though, but those guys above gave you some good advice on how to make this in some interesting work, I have nothing to ad.

Keep it up man

w00tw00t
01-21-2005, 02:50 PM
thx guys for the tips and comments :)
il try to post other sketches of him in different positions or doing something and will try to add some detail
thx

Ognus
01-21-2005, 03:25 PM
I dont think the arms are too long. I think the legs are too short. If you stand upright and rest your arms, you will find the tip of the fingers rest about a hands length above the knee. I think the upper and lower portion of the leg need to be elongated. Also the plate covering his heart is a little askiew. perhaps make it look a little more square, perhaps with rounded edges.
I would lengthen the legs, or else re name the robot "monkey" or "simian" and then at least the short legs would make sense.

CGTalk Moderation
01-21-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.