PDA

View Full Version : max, softimage|3d, maya, lightwave

s1762
02-09-2002, 08:28 AM
hi guys,

i have some troublsome doubts.

1. what is the most noticeable difference among the listed software up there?

2. i assume the original renderers aint as gd as a 3rd party's? right or wrong? ok.. if we were to compare the stock renderer, which have the better one?

3. does mental ray come FOC with softimage?

4. animation. yeh, i know its pretty standard.. but which has a better edge over the other? n any special exclusive feature?

5. modelling. vertices manipulation tool r standard too.. but again, any special outstanding area? i read bout softimage metaclay thingy.. looks cool..

6. workflow. i remember reading sumwhere saying Softimage allows u to do stuff in any order, without screwin up the workflow.
care to elaborate?

many thx in advance.
james

Leonard
02-09-2002, 08:52 AM
Does price make any difference in your selection? I mean...there's a big difference between XSI and Lightwave.

CIM
02-09-2002, 09:53 AM
2. Lightwave doesn't use 3rd party renderers, because it has a great renderer unlike Max, Maya, and XSI which all use/have 3rd party renderers.

SheepFactory
02-09-2002, 12:11 PM
ah the age old question....

here you go

lightwave : great modeller , good animation set , great renderer

xsi : awesome renderer , excellent animation , ok modelling

maya : ok renderer (requires lots of post work) , awesome modelling , excellent animation

3d max : good modelling , good renderer , good animation

well you see there is not one package that has it all , now above listing is based on my own experience , and every person in this forum will have different ideas about other packages.

the morale is , its all up to you , there is great work done with all of the software , the difference is workflow , find the one you are comfortable with and go with it , nobody can give you advice on this one.

best of luck

A|i

s1762
02-09-2002, 12:23 PM
leonard: price isnt the question.. at least not at this point.

wolf over pig: yeh. problem is i only got to experience max n softimage.. surprisingly, i managed to use these 2 softwares side by side.. (tts only after the initial strugglin in the interface

i juz have yet to try out maya.. waiting for the free student thingy. then i will try to commit to one of the package..

anyway, can leo pls enlighten me on the price side?
wats the estimate for each of the software?

thx
james

s1762
02-09-2002, 12:28 PM
err... wat is the diff between the excellent lightwave renderer n the max default scanline renderer?
i read bout sum poster mentioning bout micropoly stuff.. however, didnt catch on. wats all theat about?
and is it enough to mkae users switch side juz for this renderer?

however, i find softimage n max rouhgly similar.. therefore i juz wanna know if its better to commit all my time on a single package instead of spreading out..

regards,
james

Martin-K-
02-09-2002, 12:43 PM
micropolys arent an "in" thing yet, but will be soon enough.

what it does is it subdivides polys to pixel level and displaces them. apparantely renderman can do them extremely efficiently ( to the point that it can be done pretty much as quickly as bump mapping )
it is used in movies a lot to give that extra sense of reality.
especially useful for earthly surfaces ( rocks and what not )
spaceships, rough skin ( ie. dinosaurs ).

and id rather have this over any gizmos like GI.

souljah
02-09-2002, 09:18 PM
So maya's renderer is that bad?

XSI isn't a good modeler? I always thought Maya was the best animation program and XSI was the best modeling app.

I haven't used either, i'm trying to make choose which to learn, too.

Leonard
02-09-2002, 10:35 PM
Take a chill pill and use Blender...:D :D :D

CIM
02-09-2002, 11:01 PM
Lightwave has the micropoly stuff--not Renderman.

Right off the LW site:

"Integrated Sub-division Bump Displacement creates an accurate displacement of vertices on the surface at the time of subdivision creating very natural, high definition geometric bumping"

DaveW
02-10-2002, 12:27 AM
Actually CIM, it is Renderman that has it and not Lightwave. LW's bump displacement is similar but you have to manually crank up the subdivision before you render, and as I understand it Renderman will automatcially subdivide when a polygon is the size of X pixels. This is nice because it's automatic and doesn't create a billion unnecessary polygons. LW is close, and hopefully we'll see it in LW pretty soon.

ambassador
02-10-2002, 03:30 AM
FLIP A COIN

they all can render purty balls;)

SheepFactory
02-10-2002, 03:41 AM
but lightwave can better them BETTER!!!

:p sorry just wanted to beat CIM on this one

A|i

CIM
02-10-2002, 10:19 AM
Must have just been added to Renderman, I guess. When Lightwave 7 came out, it was one of the features that was said Renderman couldn't even do.

DaveW
02-10-2002, 11:47 AM
Renderman's been able to do that for a while. People were talking about it when A Bug's Life came out. I remember people on the LW mailing list begging for a feature like that, and a few people were disapointed that it wasn't as good as the Renderman version. I think NewTek is able to say that Renderman can't do it because it can' do it the same way LW does it, but Rendermans method is definately better.

s1762
02-10-2002, 05:55 PM
after reading around..
i can safely pressume Lightwave is the "cheap n good" alternative to the heavier weight package..

however, can anyone post a good use of displacement map?
i cant see the big hoohaa in this feature though.. max has it too :/

regards

SheepFactory
02-11-2002, 01:36 AM
a good example is in the entropy gallery.

go to www.exluna.com , and check out the dinosaur model in the gallery , its skin is a good example of displacement mapping.

A|i

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.