PDA

View Full Version : Twisted Extreme Sports - Character - Kirt

Kirt
09-09-2002, 05:37 AM
Hmmm ... I'm twisted. I'm sure I can come up with something for this month's challenge. No ideas yet ... I just figured I'd start a thread in the 2D section just so that they know we're here. :scream:

kfc
09-11-2002, 04:47 AM
Kirt~!
i love your work. in fact, all of my team-mate like ur work very much.
I hope u'll continue produce great illustration in this month's challenge. good luck~!

Kirt
09-11-2002, 09:47 AM
Thank you kfc and team-mates. I hope I do come up with something good soon. I'm kind of dry on ideas for this one at the moment. I wouldn't mind continuing with the humor themed illustrations like the last two, however if I don't find something funny to do I'll have to go with this little doodled idea I did at work today.

Kirt
09-12-2002, 06:30 AM
This doesn't really apply to the current challenge. But I figured this thread would be the best place to advertise it ...

My other WIP is almost complete. Check out my web site (see below for link). I've already noticed a few problems with some of the images in the archieve (going to fix that in the morning) and I'll be adding more to the gallery soon. Resume link is dead at the moment because I haven't put it together yet.

I told you it was WIP. :hmm:

jeroentje
09-12-2002, 10:45 AM
Most sympathetic and also most effective way to promote your portfolio is a link in your sig.
It is officially also the only allowed (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15751&highlight=rules) one ;)

edit - and I don't think your entrie will rock. I know it will rock.

Cgkoko
09-12-2002, 10:50 AM
hmm...interesting idea....looking forward to see the progres of it...;)

Kirt
09-12-2002, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by jeroentje
Most sympathetic and also most effective way to promote your portfolio is a link in your sig.
It is officially also the only allowed (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15751&highlight=rules) one ;)Ooooops .... *busted*

Yes sir! Back to work for me. :D

Kirt
09-13-2002, 07:14 PM
OK ... I got an idea finally (not the one posted above) but I'm hesitant to post my sketches. There's that one statement in the rules to not give away too much and surprise everyone with the finished result. So, I'm going to have to some creative teasing with this idea up until the end.

Also, I just might try doing this one using Illustrater. I have the program but have never really tried it. After seeing a few of jeroentje's illustrator pieces, I'm inspired to give it a try. I'm thinking if I can learn the tools quick enough, this illustration shouldn't take to long to do.

Of course now that I've said that I've probably jinxed myself and I'll miss the deadline. :annoyed: I'll see if I can't get my first teaser image up here on Saturday.

dmcgrath
09-14-2002, 09:02 PM
You could do what I did with my sketches and post most of it BUT not the critical elements. You cant possibly be thinking of depriving us of your skillz?

:shame:

:p

jeroentje
09-14-2002, 09:35 PM
Illustrator... now that is a good idea... hm... still no concept myself.

Kirt
09-15-2002, 03:09 AM
dmcgrath - Problem is that there are very few elements to my idea and once I post 2 of them you'll be able to easily see what I'm up too. I'm thinking I'll just crop a few pieces here and there and let you all build the mental jigsaw puzzle until I'm done. :D

The challenge for me this month is to figure out illustrator and put together a decent image in the amount of time allotted. Should be fun. :thumbsup:

Lucky for me, I have a quick tutorial disk that I've been reviewing. Doesn't look too complicated yet ... but I haven't had a chance to actually apply any of the things I learned yet. So, I maybe singing a different tune in a few days. hehehehe.

Kirt
09-18-2002, 09:14 AM
OK folks ... here goes. This is one of the elements to my twisted extreme sport. It's cropped so as to not give away too much of the final image.

Now don't go making up your own jokes ... it is a sheep, but it's not what you think. :D

Kirt
09-18-2002, 06:18 PM
Another sheep and it's rider ...

Kirt
09-18-2002, 06:21 PM
I feel as if I've given too much information already ... but, here's one last element of the design. Shhh ... don't give away the answer if you got it already. :D

Kirt
09-19-2002, 06:28 AM
Just looking at the forum list ... the 2D challenge hasn't even reached 50 posts. How sad. :shrug:

Culann
09-19-2002, 08:38 AM
I don't think 2D is dead just yet :)
The problem as I see it is that most people find the challenge topic this month a little uninspiring. Most of us portrayed a kind of extreme sport in the A&B challenge.
I guess next month will be better, depending on the topic.

That said, I really like your sheep even though I haven't found out what sport it is :thumbsup:

Kirt
09-19-2002, 09:51 AM
Hmmm ... I have to agree with you there. This month's challenge was "eh" with me as well. I'm not really a big sports fan so coming up with an idea took longer than normal for me. In the end I decided to drop the "sport" and just go with a "play" type feeling ... which you'll see soon enough. I guess I'm always trying to bend the rules a little bit to fit my style (see my "flying" car in last month's challenge :D).

Still haven't guess it though, huh? Well, it's all there except the main character. I guess I'll just have to load up Illustrator and start messing with it. Or ... just spill the beans. I was never good at keeping secrets anyway. :rolleyes:

jeroentje
09-19-2002, 10:43 AM
We have untill october 19. That is more than 4 weeks...

cleptocat
09-19-2002, 09:00 PM
I agree though even with four weeks left this challenge is a really tough one. Well that is if u want to come up with something original....... like sheep.

dmcgrath
09-19-2002, 10:30 PM
Im a HUGE hockey fan, but not many other sports can hold my interest past more than a couple beers, or a bunch of hot cheerleaders.
2D is not dead, hopefully, we just have to get our collective asses in gear and get more people interested in our threads.
But I have to admit that Im spend all of my time on my 3D entry first. That will change, though Im not Apt Pupil or anything. :buttrock:

:beer: :beer: that said, raise a glass for all the hot cheerleaders in the world.:beer: :beer:

Kirt
09-20-2002, 12:13 AM
Mmmmmmm ... cheerleaders :p
Mmmmmmm ... beer :p
:beer:

wildsheepchase
09-20-2002, 05:51 AM
I think I've guessed what your sport is, but I'll keep it to myself;)
I kind of agree about the topic this month, it just didn't really grab me...there's always next month:shrug:
Looking good so far on your piece. I don't really have any crits. Looking forward to seeing the final piece:beer:

Sleepless
09-27-2002, 08:46 PM
Dead? Hope not...I'll be back to this soon, just gotta get a topic that strikes me. I got busy cranking out quick stuff in order to learn Painter better. Sad though how few entries there are. Who was the victor in the last challenge anyway?

Kirt--The soon to be famous "sheep tossing" game??? Oh Wallace & Gromit were so cool.

dobermunk
10-03-2002, 10:06 AM
Like the elbow wheels stuff.

And I agree about too few 2D entries. I hope to enter - won't have much time, but I'd like to participate. The challenge really lends itself to 2D as well. If you have to restart every model, 3D loses its advantage.

Kirt
10-14-2002, 05:53 PM
Well ... looks like it's going to be another rush job for me on this one. To tell you the truth, I've lost interest in this month's challenge, but I'm going to do my best to finish it anyway. Hind sight is always 20/20 as they say ... so I also realize that learning Illustrator in a month was a pretty steep goal for me to acomplish with my crappy work schedule. So ... this one is going to be completed in Photoshop (sorry, jeroentje - I'll figure it out at a later time), but I'm going to try a graphic look achieved as if I were using Illustrator. It's a sort of compromise ...

Here's the first of several updates this week.

Kirt
10-15-2002, 06:49 PM
Starting to take shape, no?

jeroentje
10-15-2002, 06:59 PM
So the sport is "how many times can you kick a sheep over a roof without killing the sheep".
Is that a team sport? Is it played with a shaven or with an unshaven sheep? And is it allowed to play that with a lamb? Or is that little league? Or a different sport, like a baseball/softball difference?

Nice style Kirt :thumbsup:
Always good to see people explore different things. And this is looking good :)

Cheers, jeroentje

jeroentje
10-15-2002, 10:16 PM
Dammit, I want to do one aswell tomorrow night. I am just so extremely busy tomorrow that it would surprise me I would even be able to stay awake while doing it (drawing ;) )... You're the only one with a chance at finishing this month. This will definitely be different next month. I promisse you...

Kirt
10-15-2002, 10:43 PM
I don't know ... I have a lot to do with this one yet. I hope I can finish it before Saturday, but my main concern right now is to make it not resemble a roll of lifesavers candies. I hope the next challenge is something a little more exciting so there are many 2D entries. This month was kind of dull and less inspiring.

Also, no sheep are harmed in this extreme sport (maybe a little rattled, but not harmed) ... so "sheep kicking" is definately not it. :D

Kirt
10-16-2002, 04:44 PM
I think the farm is pretty much completed at this point ...

Kirt
10-18-2002, 04:53 PM
I'm running out of time and it doesn't look like I'll finish. I was just volunteered to help paint the outside of my mother's house Saturday morning. So, this may be it for this month's challenge.

The twisted extreme sport is/was/should have been ... amish sheep surfing.

Kirt
10-18-2002, 04:53 PM
GAAAHHH!! :argh:

Server busy + crappy dial-up connection = double posts
Sorry about that.

jeroentje
10-18-2002, 04:58 PM
ROFLMAO!!! :bounce: :buttrock:
Just too bad you cannot finish it in time.
Hope you'll finish it anyway.

Slacker
10-18-2002, 10:46 PM
lol. aw, come on, slap some flat colors on it at least. :D

Well, I like the style of the thing, maybe it will rain tomorrow...

Kirt
10-19-2002, 12:00 AM
Forcast calls for mild sunshine and tempatures in the upper 70s. No chance of rain ... which coencidentally is one of the reasons why I don't like California much. Too many weekend projects, not enough rain. :hmm:

I'll try to add a bit more before the deadline tomorrow. They started painting the house today without me, so hopefully there won't be much to finish tomorrow.

I'll definately finish this one, even if I don't hit the deadline for the challenge. I kinda like the style of it myself.

Kirt
10-20-2002, 12:55 AM
Well, I turned the project over to my apprentices (Megan 7, and Alex 5) and they colored my amish boys while I was painting my Mom's house. Here's their finished illustration.

cleptocat
10-20-2002, 02:17 AM
Kids always have the best ideas. Looks great Im really digging the style. And u thought u wouldnt have time.

Kirt
10-20-2002, 03:47 AM
I rushed to see what I could do with it before the deadline. Here's my final entry. Hi-rez should be available soon (ISP is giving me grief again - gotta make a gripe call).

EDIT - Got my ISP problem fixed. Now I have to submit my images. I've linked to the image because attached images aren't showing anymore. :shrug:

http://www.cell2000.net/~users/kirtstanke/images/wip-oct-preview.jpg

Slacker
10-20-2002, 09:57 PM
lol. I think it turned out really good. :bowdown:

Iguiniz.X.
10-22-2002, 12:59 PM
Yes you have made that a fine pic..
I was long geussing what the extreme thing as first I thought shaving sheeps or some sort of variation.
Nice style and nice collors.
:cool:

Gamoron
10-24-2002, 07:00 PM
Nice work Kirt. It's good to see someone exploring new ways of visually representing an idea. I thought you were gonna do something sick earlier in this thread. :eek:

Kirt
10-24-2002, 08:42 PM
Something sick? Wha? Me? I know the temptation is great when you're dealing with sheep, but I'm not completely derainged ... yet. :argh:

Occassionally I do try some new things. I think we all should, it helps develop our skills and expand our creativity. I'm not completely happy with the final result of this image, but I'm pleased that others like how it turned out. I'll probably continue to play with it to see if I can reproduce the image that I had in mind.

Actually, I seldom finish a piece as I would have intended it. I guess my skill will never match my imagination. I'll just have to find a happy medium. :shrug:

Iguiniz.X.
10-26-2002, 04:24 AM
It is the same for me. ( about that your imagination isnīt a exsact copy as yu produce on paper)
And I to have to be hapy with a medium thing...still exploring other horizons is a good.
Then I agree with the sheeps but I took that you just minished it in time in with that I think you produced a fine peace

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.