PDA

View Full Version : Probs with search function

RentaLLMay
01-19-2005, 06:52 PM
hi all

doing a search only gives a max. of 120 hits

i was searchin some older threads about "history" in the Maya forum.
But all i got was 120 hits which means that search goes back only until november of 2004.
But i am searching a thread that was much older.

How can i make "search" give me more hits than 120 at a time?

Mibus
01-19-2005, 11:43 PM
You could use the search options to limit the search to threads/posts over a year old, and alter the sorting to be based on the date... that's about all I can think of off the top of my head.

RentaLLMay
01-20-2005, 12:19 AM
hi,
not very satisfying

Even if select "find Posts from a Year ago and older" from the imho poor search options i still get not all hits that might be possible.
why is there a 120 hit limit?
doesnīt make no sense to me in regards of userfriendliness of a "knowledge archive" what cgtalk has always been to me

Mibus
01-20-2005, 12:25 AM
This might sound silly, but have you tried using Google?

eg., if you were looking for information on Blender and Yafray, you can search for:
blender yafray site:cgtalk.com

Does that return any better results?

RentaLLMay
01-20-2005, 12:46 AM
just tried
history site:cgtalk.com
got 1120 hits
Problem is that i get mixed hits from all forums but i only need the posts from Maya forum which additionally should be ordered by date
Besides that i think thats not the way a user forumīs search engine should work: relying on google...
I think its own search engine should be able to fulfil the requirements

Mibus
01-20-2005, 01:25 AM
history site:cgtalk.com

You'll need to be more specific if you don't want to be inundated with hits - the same would be true for any search engine. "History" is quite a large topic :)

Even just "maya history" would probably offer a better set of results, depending on what sort of history you're after. (Undo history? Application history? Company history? etc.)

Besides that i think thats not the way a user forumīs search engine should work: relying on google...
I think its own search engine should be able to fulfil the requirements
While it would be nice, the search engine is limited to 120 results so as to not negatively impact the performance of the board for other users during the search. Changing the search engine to be able to specify different parameters (start time, end time, etc.) might be possible but would likely be a decent undertaking.

You can try suggesting it in the Suggestions Forum, see what everyone else thinks :)

Otherwise, my only other suggestion is that you use CGTalk's search function with a more specific set of keywords; even if you weren't limited to 120 results, you'd then have to look through them all!

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.