PDA

View Full Version : Bang Bang Betty

nathanwallis
01-19-2005, 02:13 PM
Hi there,

I have just shot some footage for my demo reel, where I want to composite my 3D Gun into the scene, this is no prob, i have my camera matched etc.... I am at the stage where i want to fine tune some details for the scene and one thing that I want do to is when the gun fires I will have a muzzle flare, which will then be another light in my scene and therefore would like to fake the sharpening of the shadows on the wall etc....here is a frame from my footage....the gun will be fired on the side of the car that is closest to the camera, so i guess the shadow of the car would be projected around the walls, i have four boxes matched that could recieve shadows for the two walls, roof and floor.

http://users.tpg.com.au/walkaz/test/temp.jpg

Any ideas, if you can decipher what I have said!!

Cheers,
Wally

nathanwallis
01-19-2005, 02:23 PM
The video is quite grainy to begin with, shot at night under flourescent light. This does not really bother me as I want a home video look. But I imagine that this would effect the quality at which i could "pull" the existing shadows and sharpen them......hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

jussing
01-19-2005, 04:05 PM
If it's just one gunshot, I'd export the frame to Photoshop, and then paint it exactly as you want it in there.

Also, I recommend True Lies and Terminator 2 for reference. James Cameron uses off-camera strobe lights to simulate flashes from machine guns and such. (technically then, that's not "real" reference, but "fake" reference, but my point is, if it's good enough for James Cameron.. ;) )

Cheers,
- Jonas

nathanwallis
01-19-2005, 10:39 PM
Cool,

Thanks for that, seeing as I have already shot my footage and don't have the budget for a strobe light, I think you are right and heading for photoshop. It will be more than one shot, as it will be a mini-gun, I have already downloaded arnie with his mini gun from t2, great reference for sure. I don't see why I couldn't just over lay my painted shadows each time the gun fires, it might work.....i guess a camera flash might also reproduce the effect of a strobe light....thanks for your help

Wally

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.