PDA

View Full Version : clothFX problems

pixelboy33
01-19-2005, 02:52 AM
hi. I've just started playing with clothFX, garment maker works like a dream but when when I appply clothFX on it... set everything to default and simulate....

1- cloth falls properly but few frames after it falls on the collision object, it doesn't settle, it just keeps 'wrapping' around it... why?

2- my cloth keeps deforming even though the parameters are set to default (when it shouldn't right?) like the become realllllyyyy elasticky ggrrrrrr

3- how do i attatch the finished clothes on to a biped? i mean when I set footsteps onto the biped, the cloth doenst seem to attact itself to it? .. hmmmm

I really hope someone out there can help me out here. any help woul dVERY VERY MUCH BE AppreCIATED!! :`(

thanks...

stuh505
01-23-2005, 09:58 PM
1- cloth falls properly but few frames after it falls on the collision object, it doesn't settle, it just keeps 'wrapping' around it... why?

because of sewing springs. read the instructions for simulation use more carefully and follow them precisely and it will work

2- my cloth keeps deforming even though the parameters are set to default (when it shouldn't right?) like the become realllllyyyy elasticky ggrrrrrr

oh...? kay

3- how do i attatch the finished clothes on to a biped? i mean when I set footsteps onto the biped, the cloth doenst seem to attact itself to it? .. hmmmm

not sure about this one myself!

suck
02-01-2005, 11:07 PM
You need to be really careful with scale. I have had the best luck working directly in centimeters instead of trying to do the conversion in the ClothFX panel. This is probably due to the fact that all of the default settings in the plugin are based on cm, so if you want to work in Feet, you'll need to tweak practically everything. Once I started working in cm, everything just seemed to go okay.

Also, it sounds like your sim is starting out in an interpenetrated state. Play around with your collision offset and depth distances, probably making offset less and depth more. The cloth mesh will wig out if it is trying to move itself out of collision but it is unable to.

-b

spikomatix
02-02-2005, 03:03 AM
hi i downloaded some clothfx tutorials..and i cant believe how they got it working that good :-)

i am from europe so i use centimeters (1 max unit is 1 cm)
so all i have to type in the simulation parameters is 1cm/unit or not?

my main problem seems to be that the cloth starts to go crazy at the point it should come to rest(settle?).

the edges of my cloth plane stretches miles away..it seems like it is megasenistiv to collisions :-p
i dont know how to fix it..i turned up the strech value..and also the gravity..so it works better..
but still i ask myself how they do it in the videotutorials with all the default settings :-(
in the simulation parameters i turned on solid collision and samples to 2.

does someone have a clue about this?

it seems like this stuff is very very sensitiv :-)

i also asked myself how can i make the meshes"2 sided" cause i cant see the inside of my cloth(spline+garment)

hope for help

greets

spiko

pixelboy33
02-03-2005, 08:23 AM
You need to be really careful with scale. I have had the best luck working directly in centimeters instead of trying to do the conversion in the ClothFX panel. This is probably due to the fact that all of the default settings in the plugin are based on cm, so if you want to work in Feet, you'll need to tweak practically everything. Once I started working in cm, everything just seemed to go okay.

Also, it sounds like your sim is starting out in an interpenetrated state. Play around with your collision offset and depth distances, probably making offset less and depth more. The cloth mesh will wig out if it is trying to move itself out of collision but it is unable to.

-b

Hey thanks, I've manage to work things out as you have mention in clothFX it is indeed the scale (cm/unit) is VERY important. ok next question cus I'm pass those problems...

right now I'm facing with a new problem which is cloth to cloth collisions. just imagine an arabian. Yes he's wearing many layers of cloths. how should I go about doing this? I've tried several methods but i think I really need help here.. what I did was build 2 different clothes, 1: the inner shirt; then 2: the outer cloak. right now how should the settings be? should both be selected as cloth? i did that but they seem to run though each othr after I click in the 'simulate' button.

how do I solve that problem?

next I tried using the group selection, but each time i select all the verts and group them together then clicking on the 'cloth' in the 'group' panel - during simulate, the outer cloak gets stuck to the inner cloth. hmmm - this is like linking them together like a pocket or soemthing (which was in the tutorials) still not something I want. anyway I'm confusing myself here.. :p~~~

anyway please help WOULD really appreciate heapS! thanks!

pixelboy33
02-03-2005, 08:29 AM
hi i downloaded some clothfx tutorials..and i cant believe how they got it working that good :-)

i am from europe so i use centimeters (1 max unit is 1 cm)
so all i have to type in the simulation parameters is 1cm/unit or not?

my main problem seems to be that the cloth starts to go crazy at the point it should come to rest(settle?).

the edges of my cloth plane stretches miles away..it seems like it is megasenistiv to collisions :-p
i dont know how to fix it..i turned up the strech value..and also the gravity..so it works better..
but still i ask myself how they do it in the videotutorials with all the default settings :-(
in the simulation parameters i turned on solid collision and samples to 2.

does someone have a clue about this?

it seems like this stuff is very very sensitiv :-)

i also asked myself how can i make the meshes"2 sided" cause i cant see the inside of my cloth(spline+garment)

hope for help

greets

spiko

ahah what you got I think should be a bugged version (v1.26), to be honest, I did download several versions... but most of them really screwed up 3ds max, sometimes crashing it. it never settles like what you said - you may have followed the tuts etc and what you went through was all good. at 1st I though it was me making some stupid misakes somewhere but its actually the version of clothFx you're using. just register urself on turbosquid and get the demo pack (v1.268). its actually quite good. or if you're rich enough, get the latest Max 7 which already has clothFX bunddled together with it (version 1.27) or try your luck with more downloads :) life's like a box of chocolates, you'll never know what you're gonna get!!! :D

JeremyJessup
03-27-2005, 01:46 AM
ok next question cus I'm pass those problems...

Oh, that was dissapointing... Could you share your resolution for poor schmucks like me who are still wrestling with these problems?

I went hunting for an answer on how to attatch finished clothes on to a biped but haven't been able to find an answer yet. How did you fix that?

Cyrenn
07-20-2005, 07:12 PM
Hi everyone, I was wondering if someone could help me with this problem I'm having with CLoth FX.

For some reason wehn I add the body for collision to the cloth skirt it messes up up texture map. My texture gets all broken up. Its driving me crazy. Is this because I am using a demo version of Cloth FX the one form Turbo Squid. Please help if possiable I would greatly appreciate it.

Frankyboy
07-20-2005, 08:36 PM
Yes, the demo version does mess up the textures.
Regarding biped, see Tutorial 7.
Regarding the simulation going unstable, this is generally a result of using a cracked version of clothfx.
Upload your files if you want a thorough analysis.

aRTCy
09-14-2005, 11:32 PM
right now I'm facing with a new problem which is cloth to cloth collisions. just imagine an arabian. Yes he's wearing many layers of cloths. how should I go about doing this? I've tried several methods but i think I really need help here.. what I did was build 2 different clothes, 1: the inner shirt; then 2: the outer cloak. right now how should the settings be? should both be selected as cloth? i did that but they seem to run though each othr after I click in the 'simulate' button.

how do I solve that problem?

Can anyone answered this, I'm having the same problem?

purvapar
11-28-2005, 07:47 AM
Hi ppl,

Im a newbie to max and ive recently started using max 8. ive been searching for garment maker tutorials online but i have not been able to find any good ones. also, if i follow the tut provided by discreet, i get a error saying.."More than 2 splines meet at a point" whereas there are no vertices with more thn 2 splines. can anyone please help me create a simple shirt in max using clothfx ?

pleaseeee help me guyss :(

Frankyboy
11-28-2005, 04:44 PM
purva4u: if you upload the file, I can tell you what's wrong.

Regarding multiple layers: only Max8 cloth is capable of this. Set both layers as cloth and enable "Cloth collisions". If getting interpenetrations, increase the cloth collisions spinner value.

purvapar
11-29-2005, 06:55 AM
Hi again ppl,

Im really having serious probs with garment maker.. i tried making a shirt for a char im designing.. I made the front and back panels using splines(Sleeveless) and thn attaching the two panels... thn i selected the verts where i needed the seams and broke thm( as the discreet tut wanted me to do).. thn it asked me to apply garment maker but whn i did tht it gives me an error messg" More thn 2 splines meet at a point".. if i tried to apply garment maker without breaking the verts.. it gives me error " Splines form overlapping loops "..Whereas as far as i can see there are no overlapping loops...i tried redoing everthing in front as well as top viewport but i get the same error :(.. Help me plzz guys.. Im using max 8 but i also have max 7 with cloth extn..if anyone can tell me how to make a shirt or can help me solve these issues it will be a huge help... also.. does anyone know any really good cloth and hair tuts?

Help me plz guys :(

Frankyboy
11-29-2005, 03:28 PM
Can you post a pic of your spline or upload the file?

purvapar
11-30-2005, 06:24 AM
Hello ppl,

Thnks FrankyBoy for replying to my messgs. im posting the images from the 3 panels.. i made the shirt in top panel and thn rotated the bofy to front... is my shirt wrong? can u plz give me some suggestion abt how to go abt making a shirt?.. is u could tell me the steps which i shud follow and the precautions i shud take . it would be a hugee help. :)

Thanks again

Purva

~ Gals CAN do 3d :P ~

Frankyboy
11-30-2005, 04:23 PM
Max Cloth does not work like Maya Cloth. You do not place the splines around the figure. You must lay out the splines flat in a plane. Generally, you lay the splines out in the top view. After applying GM, you move the panels into position around the figure.

CGTalk Moderation
11-30-2005, 04:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.