PDA

View Full Version : Kyle Wood :: Setup Artist Demo Reel

kwood
01-18-2005, 11:53 PM
Hey guys, I have been waiting for my site to get updated before posting this up, but, I can't wait any longer site is almost ready still getting my assets together. For now, here is my current demo reel. Please any comments at all.

Right now, the reel is only on the server it can't be viewed by looking through my site. Sorry for the hassle. Will be fixed very shortly.

720x480 28mbs w/sound .mov format
High Demo Reel (http://www.kyle3d.com/movies/kw-hi.mov)
320x240 5.5mbs no/sound .mov format
Low Demo Reel (http://www.kyle3d.com/movies/kw-lo.mov)

-kyle

seger
01-19-2005, 08:47 PM
Impressive. I feel the human animations are much better than the toony ones but I understand you have "only" rigged them. The muscle animations and the way they are presented have an excellent medical touch. The buggy is very good too.
The walking and falling scene in the middle of the reel degrades the rest imo. It's not very convincing. I also visited your site but like you said there's not a lot to do right now.
I repeat: impressive!

toto poto
01-20-2005, 12:21 AM
wow, this is really excellent work. the characters seem very well rigged. i really like the buggy:) the animations are stunning, too (exept of the guy who falls, maybe)...

kwood
01-20-2005, 12:22 AM
Thank you very much for the comments and your opinion is always welcome. It is noted...The site should be nearly ready to be updated, just waiting on the my php engine script to get finished up. Thanks Again..

-kyle

FireEyeC
01-23-2005, 08:21 PM
http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/scream.gif AMAZING!!

kwood
01-24-2005, 03:08 AM
Thank you very much for the comment. :-D

kwood
01-29-2005, 02:23 PM
Anyone else with some comments or suggestions, always open to critique..

-kyle

kwood
02-05-2005, 05:25 AM
Just wanted to respond saying that I have updated my website with more content, there are still a few pages down they should be up in a few more days.

-kyle

Pinet
02-05-2005, 06:09 AM
those character looks awesome!

The girls breasts were so nice i was half-hard :D

vilen13
02-05-2005, 06:18 AM
it's good setups.. impressive..
i would say.. the girl fall.. isn't a great one to put as early like that.. coz the animation is kinda weird so i don't quite get it until she fell.
and.. about the color.. blue above grey is kinda tricky.. so hard to see which part that's move..
but the biggest thing for me is some of the animation is kinda poping.. and it made your good set up got distracted....

XavierG
02-05-2005, 02:37 PM
Hey Kyle, this looks great! all the work looks awesome to me, remmeber to hit me up on aim for your logo!

Nico_Venom
02-05-2005, 02:55 PM
graet work! real amazing!

steffenoid
02-05-2005, 04:46 PM
It was good, though my two main crits would be:

1)I didn't like your background music (not that important)

2)It was kind of long

Overall not a bad reel :)

kwood
02-06-2005, 03:36 AM
Thank you all for the critique as well as opinions. They have all been noted and written down as I work on my next demo reel.

Xavier, I will defintelly hit you up with the logo, I just need to find the reference pics for you or just re-take them.

-Kyle

ScottageCheese
02-06-2005, 02:47 PM
Man, you got shoulder blades down pretty good... nice deforms...

Some squash and stretch would be nice on that car... to give it more personality...

But nice rigging man...

kwood
02-07-2005, 11:00 PM
Thanks a lot for the comment on my deformations, I really appreaciate that.

And the squash and stretch is a great idea, got to keep that in mind for the future.
Especially with how cartoony it seems to be.

-kyle

XavierG
02-08-2005, 05:14 AM
Im just curious, what do you have in mind for yur next reel? Or any you just gonna edit the current one with new content?
Looking forward to it in any case

tobiasth
02-08-2005, 07:37 AM
wow, you did a great job! i really like the car :thumbsup:

kwood
02-10-2005, 12:03 PM
Thank you for the comment, I really appreciate it...

Xavi, for my next reel I plan on having a lot newer content to show off. If I do not have enough newer content that can be shown, I plan to show this current content in a different way. I will be using all of the feedback I get from critiques as well as others opinions of how I should show my work off.

There is a lot of different content I plan to show off for my next reel.

-Kyle

kwood
02-27-2005, 02:21 PM
Just getting this thread back alive again....

Thanks,

-Kyle

Necron-99
02-27-2005, 02:59 PM
Shoulders & chest feel very good. Liked the buggy a lot.

kwood
03-02-2005, 05:19 PM
Necron,

Hey thanks a lot for the comments. Much appreciated..I really liked how the shoulders came out as well as the buggy, one of my favorite characters that I have had the chance to setup. Thanks Again.

-Kyle

yangmiemie
03-03-2005, 03:15 PM
nice animation.:thumbsup:
well done! use maya??

NauticaC
03-03-2005, 07:42 PM
Great reel! I love the human animations over the animal ones due to the muscle movement accuracy. I also liked how you included the wires/rigs in there as well. Nicely done!

kwood
03-04-2005, 03:12 AM
Thank you guys a lot for the comments and oppinions. I was hoping to go with some different approaches as to how a setup could be shown off, from a deformation and animation perspective over just a straight saying here is what the rig can do and things like that. I have gotten some great feedback and for my next reel I plan to incorporate both into it instead of sticking too just one or the other.

Yea all assets from the models to the rigs to rendering were done within maya.

Thanks Again,

-Kyle

M.E.L.
03-04-2005, 05:34 AM
And we meet again Mr. Wood ;)

Glad to see you're pushing your reel more man...I see you have taken a lot of the critiques from creaturetd and the likes into developing a new reel :)

You definitely have the potential to go far with all this, your buggy setup is very impressive and I must say that the only thing I can REALLY suggest for you is to show some of those control structures!!! Show off the controls that the animators are going to be using, afterall, they're the people you're really gonna be working for :)

As an outside suggestion away from the reel...try putting together a technical portfolio...this usually consists of MEL scripts, pictures of what the script does, how it affects things like a character & concise descriptions/breakdowns...stuff like this is invaluable for a TD as it reinforces to the employer that you REALLY know your stuff (they don't just see something moving on screen but they get to see the gears behind it that are making it all come together).

If you need anything or have any further questions, feel free to email me or PM me here or on creaturetd :)

keep it up :thumbsup:

kwood
03-08-2005, 12:18 AM
Shawn,

Thanks a lot for the critique and opinions. Your insights as well as all the others I have gotten have definitely given me a different approach into my next demo reel. For my current demo reel I didn't have the scripts ready and available for that cut. On my next reel I for sure plan to show off the controls as well as the scripts as you are suggesting.

Thanks again, I will remember the offer of help.

-Kyle

CGTalk Moderation
03-08-2005, 12:18 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.