PDA

View Full Version : Very new to Animating

DanGrover
01-18-2005, 11:50 PM
I have never successfully modelled an actual organic character, though i have not tried too many times, but i decided to give character animation a crack. This is the first time i have ever used a skeleton to animate before, and that's the other reason for the box model. Anyways, if you can - since i'm sure there are some - point out any major flaws in technique i have, i would be greatful, since i seriously wish not to get into any bad habbits. I have an IK chain in both legs, but the rest of the skeleton relies on the bone heirachy to work.

Here (http://www.ego-chimp.com/uploads/ani.wmv)

Thanks for any input possible!

Lil_Mick
01-19-2005, 12:12 AM
not too shabby. here's what I got for comments, I'll try to keep them on the general side:

you've got a good start. keep in mind that actions have anticipations to them. If your character is going to shift their weight to one foot, start by moving (slightly) in the oppisite direction. same with other actions. and work on tweaking animtaion curves. for example, after the little shrug, your character's arm kind of just 'float' to the next position. He's about to do a backflip so he needs those arms to swing hard and help him flip over. I guess what I mean is you need to insert some holds here and there to help it along. Anyway that's just my opinion.

Take care
~J

Naisa Evoli
01-19-2005, 12:21 AM
Well first i would like to say that it is actually pretty good for a first animation^^. good job. With that beeing said, the speed, weight of this animation seems to be a little off. The charactor goes down really slow and kind of comes up slow too compared to how high he jumps. If i was going to do a backflip, i would burst up with my legs faster to get the energy i need to make sure i dont land on my head. Also the arms just kind of dangle there. Sit in front of a mirror and jump as high as you can a few times. See how your arms go back and fly forward and up when you burst to jump up as high as you can. Do this with your charactor. Also the feet. You keep them very flat thorugh most the animation. there are some other little things that look a little off to me (like the airtime of the flip) but work on these things and post another one, this way your not hit with like an animation degree's worth of info all in one setting. Best advise i can give you to help work on this is, watch yourself in the mirror, or watch a freind jump up in the air a bunch of times and look for every detail you can. Animatores are all about detail, i never realized how dirty the world is untill i became an animator..lol. good luck to you and welcome to animation^^.

I would also suggest just in general, not regarding this animation that you check out some of the sticky posts at the top of the animation sections of this site. There are links and advise on alot of good sites/books/ and anotehr animation referances that i think you would love.

Here are some threads i think you will like:
http://cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=23600
http://cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=152449

Kit Kat The Cat
01-19-2005, 05:29 AM
Well it's okay. You do need to check your curves, some parts suddenly just snap or speed up. Having nice clean curves helps your animation. Any sudden bumps can cause the twitches which I saw just before he jumps. The others already described what I would suggested as well. Not bad for your first animation, and if you continue to practice and love what you're doing then I don't see why you can't be a great animator. Keep up the hard work. And keep studying the motion of the world.

DanGrover
01-19-2005, 01:32 PM
Thanks for all the comments guys, i really appreciate it! I will check out those links and a few other resources, make a few new animations, and post them to see what you thinks! Again, thanks very much!

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.