PDA

View Full Version : PA Challenge - Character - Dzogchen

dzogchen
02-09-2002, 04:33 AM
Here is a WIP. The front part of the protective eyeshade is done but the back is in incomplete. The lower part of the costume is incomplete. Weapon and shoe to come.

http://www.liquid2k.com/dzogchen/ChallengePA1.jpg
http://www.liquid2k.com/dzogchen/ChallengePA4.jpg

KEKS
02-09-2002, 08:10 PM
KEEP IT UP
GREAT START

Error323
02-09-2002, 08:56 PM
Nice!!!, what a detail on the ear thingies :)

dzogchen
02-11-2002, 06:06 AM
Thanks Keks, I hope I can finish her in time, busy schedule this month.
Thanks Error323, I spend quite some time altering the "ear thingies" till they look the way I want. A little ethnic and avant garde in design.
I hope to complete the whole head gear by this coming week.

dzogchen
02-14-2002, 12:13 PM
Head dress completed. Now she looks more like the Queen I have in mind. I have shortened her protective eyeshade to give way to gas mask in case she needs to go out of the palace. Many might think my character is not very PA. PA or not, there are still many status in life ( from commoners to royal blood) and as a Queen, she has to embody strength, beauty, grace and glamour.
I do welcome comment even if it is bad as long as it is constructive. So much for now.:D http://www.liquid2k.com/dzogchen/ChallengePA/PA_14Feb.jpg

oozeballz
02-14-2002, 12:59 PM
thats some crazy detail on the head..... is she going to have hair at all?

the face it self looks near pefect.. but the neck seem a little long to me.. but it might be just me

a close up of the detail would be nice to see

cerreto
02-14-2002, 08:53 PM
wow thats a lot of detail in that headress beveled /? how did you do all that im intrested and the dress is nice too

dzogchen
02-15-2002, 12:54 PM
LOL. I agree the details are overkill however I want her gear and stuff to look ornamental and opulent. No she will not have hair. Bald headed women are sexy:D remember Sinead O'Conner? Cerreto, most of the details are bevelled. I use smooth shift, bevel, bandslice(commercial), magic bevel (free - you must have this! Yon Dabuda uses this for the girl with octopus tentacled hairs) and quadsew.
Here is an update. Gas mask is done. The attaching straps are still in process.
http://www.liquid2k.com/dzogchen/ChallengePA/PA_15Feb.jpg
http://www.liquid2k.com/dzogchen/ChallengePA/closeup.jpg

oozeballz
02-15-2002, 02:14 PM
YOU ARE CRAZY MAN JUST CRAZY!!!!!

dzogchen
02-15-2002, 04:04 PM
"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it":D

dominicqwek
02-16-2002, 10:30 AM
Love the ethic approach. Really cool stuff u have there.:)

Can't wait for more!!! and by the way, thats one helluva face mask!

dzogchen
02-16-2002, 05:10 PM
Thanks dom. Glad you like it. Not many people here ( I guess) appreciate the ethnic approach like you do.

dzogchen
02-16-2002, 11:24 PM
Another update. This challenge has help me to focus and work faster than I thought I could. Maybe I could finish her before the deadline. I am tired - I am taking a break.
http://www.liquid2k.com/dzogchen/ChallengePA/PA_17Feb.jpg

Natsuko
02-17-2002, 09:09 AM
Wow, i really love the update, it helps make your character much more concrete. I love all teh little details u have, against her simplistic flowing clothes. The only thing that seems a little bit out of continuity is her girdle which lacks some lil metallic beads of some sort, but other than that love how its turning out.

dzogchen
02-18-2002, 05:51 AM
Yep you are right. I will enhance her girdle a little when I find time. Thanks for the suggestion.;)

rondo
02-18-2002, 09:12 PM
This is very cool and a very different approach to the PA idea. Sure there will still be royalty - They are the ones that had the nuclear bunkers and years worth of stock piled food!

This character sticks out in my mind as one of the most original.

Couple questions tho - Is she a friendly queen? It seems like she would be.... but her attire makes her look very wealthy. Maybe she needs a little something to tie her to the "common folk". Something to seperate her as either the "Rich Bitch" or the "People's Queen". I dont mean to intrude on your creativity, so please take this comment as an idea only.

Very good job - idea AND modelling. Like so many others, I look forward to seeing it completed.

dzogchen
02-19-2002, 01:22 AM
Thanks for your very encouraging comment. It makes me want to complete her in time even more (keeping my fingers crossed) I marvel at the depth of how you see a character and analyse its relation to its environment. Personally I didn't think that deep, frankly speakly I am very lacking in this area of character designs. I was actually thinking in line with Queen Amidala, she with her superglamourous outlook but since this is a PA scenerio, I have toned down my character's gadgets. I actually have a make up design for her face. Might not make her look very friendly though. But since she has to carry a weapon too ( the guidelines) she can't be too friendly looking :D I have done a test with HDRI. It has dulled the metal parts considerably ( she looks less like a "Rich Bitch") Hmmmm I missed the metal shine though.
http://www.liquid2k.com/dzogchen/ChallengePA/HDRItest.jpg
The mini skirt is a temporary cover - hmm....she looks hot in it doesn't she?

DimitrisLiatsos
02-19-2002, 01:37 AM
Cool Design...very Oriental i might say..
Love the skirt

Love the detail on the head

rondo
02-19-2002, 01:37 AM
It's always easier to be analyical about someone else's work :) Hey - I'm not even close to getting into a challenge... maybe next time. I still cant get over how fast everyone models. Seems like it takes me hours to do a simple belt!! Oh well.

I like the short skirt!! (Then again what guy wouldn't :) )It adds an edge to the character. It's kind of "gladiator-ish" with the protective gear to one side.

Still looking good. Looks like one of those rulers who would let you fight all of her bodyguards, then when you think you've won, she'd step in and kick your ass!!

Keep it up!! I am jealous!

PedramK
02-19-2002, 04:36 AM
Cool chick. Nice with the ornamental meshwork there.
Though her neck is too long, might wanna shorten it. :)

dutch
02-19-2002, 06:02 AM
i think you should keep her more pale

her, what i think i jewlery, is elegant and i think pale skin would make her more elegant

nice work

dzogchen
02-19-2002, 02:17 PM
Thanks for all the reply. I am working mad like a dog to finish her. Will be away for a week. This will be my last update till next week. She is about 85% (modelling) done. I have shortened her neck a bit. Like Natsuko said, she needs ornaments for the clothes. Never doubt a lady's fashion sense :D
http://www.liquid2k.com/dzogchen/ChallengePA/PA_19Feb.jpg

dot
02-19-2002, 08:19 PM
woooow insane.... what's your polycount?

fellah
02-19-2002, 08:39 PM
wow, the model is really awsome, it's great to see that so many ppl are using lightwave the way it should be used, but, she deserve better renders. I love the GI render above, it would be really nice to see more of those.

dzogchen
02-20-2002, 09:35 AM
I would probably do some GI test render once I have finished modeling and texturing. They take way too much time for WIP update renders. :p

dzogchen
02-25-2002, 07:40 PM
5 days absence and people here already post so much updates. Just came back from my trip. Finished some part of the costume and amended some textures. I hope the new fabric look more hi tech. :D
http://www.liquid2k.com/dzogchen/ChallengePA/PA_25Feb.jpg

dot
02-25-2002, 07:54 PM
i think the fabric has too much specularity... maybe a bump map would be better and some small liddle patterns

dzogchen
02-25-2002, 08:01 PM
Oops, perhaps fabric is a wrong choice of word. I am aiming more for a semi hi gloss vinyl look. Hmmm... no good? :p

dot
02-25-2002, 08:22 PM
mmmh ok that could work but i think you still need a liddle bump... maybe some procedurals with some small size (0.001 x 0.001) and maybe a 10-20% layer oppacity... wadda think?

rondo
02-26-2002, 12:39 AM
Sorry if I'm being picky ... but I think she has really big feet. :)
You may be able to pull off the vinyl if it is black. The Red seems to carry a velvet under-tone to it. I originally thought you were going for a velvet outfit. Still - this is one of my favorites.

dzogchen
02-26-2002, 12:33 PM
You know what they say about women with big feet? ehrr.... wait a second, sorry I think it applies to men only :p I will reduce the feet. Thanks Rondo. I have given much thought about dot's suggestion.......hmmm... I think I like to strike a balance between the simplicity of the costume's material and the complexity of the accessories. I am leaving it as it is. Thanks for the suggestion anyway, I appreciate it. The skirt looks flimsy compare to the top. It should look more solid after adding seams.:p

Natsuko
02-26-2002, 08:49 PM
Hey i think the model has turned out beautifully and i believe that your own suggestion towards making the skirt have folds in it is a must. I guess only one more suggestion i can make since i love it:p , is that u should pose her in some sort of majestic manner, since u did suggest that she was of royality.
-Great skills, wish i could borrow your brain for a day

dzogchen
02-26-2002, 10:25 PM
Thanks Natsuko. Posing her will be last. I am not that fabulous. Someday you may be better than me.

Palombasso
02-26-2002, 11:40 PM
You probably already have something in mind, but I think that a long, ornamented dagger would fit her perfectly... no firearms for the Queen.
She would just stab people from behind.

Great Model - Congratulations.

dzogchen
02-27-2002, 11:01 PM
"She would just stab people from behind" Gasp.....backstabber??:p :D Indeed I have something else in mind but I take your advice and model a small dagger as a spare weapon. Thanks. She is not yet finished but I think she is good enough for a portrait.
http://www.liquid2k.com/dzogchen/ChallengePA/EmpressNadaliyah.jpg

vapulus
03-04-2002, 07:51 PM
This is kind of off-topic, but does this character seem very..."Yoshitaka Amano" to anybody else? =)
I can't help but think of Amano when I look at the mechanics and colorization if this model. The skin, especially.

dzogchen
03-05-2002, 05:50 PM
:D :D I have no idea who Yoshitaka Amano is. Care to maybe show me the website (if any) so that I can view his work? :D

dutch
03-05-2002, 09:58 PM
my only thing is if her mouth piece went over her chin and make it refract a bit cause its transperant

vapulus
03-05-2002, 11:38 PM
Don't worry. Me comparing you to amano is a good thing! =)
Yoshitaka Amano is the guy who did all of the character design for final fantasy 6 (3 american) and stuff like that. He has a very...traditional...style. It's interesting. =)
http://www.amanosworld.com

dzogchen
03-06-2002, 01:23 PM
Thanks for introducing me to another great artist. I like his artwork. His work is far better than mine. Your comparision of my work to his is indeed very movtivating for me.

dzogchen
03-07-2002, 05:59 PM
OK folks I am done. This has been a hectic month for me. I hope you enjoy my work and I am glad this challenge has help me to improve my skill ( particularly my speed). Here she is, my Nadaliyah..............

http://www.liquid2k.com/dzogchen/ChallengePA/ChallengePAfinal.jpg

rondo
03-07-2002, 07:49 PM
This is just sooooo awesome. Really good job. Tons of cool details. Nice pose - I like the small dagger on the thigh, nice touch. The septor/sickle is a relly cool idea too. Definately one of my top favs. Again - awesome job dzogchen!

pabbloz
03-07-2002, 10:52 PM
Great final pic!
Good job.
I'm impressed about how much details you added to her armour.
Incredible.
What computer do you use? :confused:

dzogchen
03-07-2002, 11:27 PM
Thanks Rondo, what can I say, your kind comments have always been very motivating to me :p :D
Thanks Pabbloz, I am using self built Athlon 1800+ with 768MB ram.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 12:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.