PDA

View Full Version : rendering memory question

mancabbage
01-18-2005, 03:46 PM
hi im running c4d 8 on a dual 1.8ghz G5 mac with 1.25 ddr sdram installed, i have been geting some 'not enough memory' errors when rendering certain models recentlty, and thats just simple rotations - no complex movements at all, i checked maxons site and they say to reduce the poly count, ive done this using optimize but a lot of my models look horrible now - what do you think is a reasonable poly count that i should be aiming for in my scenes considering my specs ?? im a third year uni student and this is for my dissertation so its quite stressful for me at the mo :banghead: having spent all this time making my modles look nice having to take out all this detail is a reaaal bummer... do you think i should upgrade my ram to 2gb? would this help that much - my computer can go up to 4gb but i read somewhere that no application on osx knows how to use anymore than 2gb anyway so do you think this is the avenue to take? thanks a lot

ZorgInc
01-21-2005, 11:04 AM
Hi

I have the same problem on my PCs. I use at home 4 workstation (all with winXPpro, 2GB of RAM, c4d r8.5 & v9) and a dual Xeon 3000 with 2GB of ram.
I have an entire cyber city, more or less 570.000 polys :eek:
The problem is not the count of polygons, but the ram limitation of XP. :shrug:
A guy told me that OSX do not have ram limitation, and c4d v.9 also have solved the exe ram limitation.

I spent 20 days to solve the problem, many people told me many points of views,... but I still cannot render that scene well :D
I solved that problem in a artificius way... but the ram limitation still remain. :sad:
I tested Cinema 4d 8.5 & 9, Carrara 4 pro, Vue5pro, all crash render if RAM goes up to 1,2 GB.
On same and different files, on 4 different PCs. The ram limit should be 1,8 GB for each exe. :shrug:

Bye
EPICI

PS: I am not a technition, I only give u my expirience. :)
PPS: sorry for my bad english :D

archeo
01-21-2005, 06:28 PM
Windows XP have a memory limitations of 2 Go for each program. There is no solution. You can use the command "run" and type "perfmon.msc". The program give you all informations on memory in use for each thread.

mancabbage
01-22-2005, 04:19 AM
is this not true of osx aswell? i heard there was still a ram limitation of 2gb until tiger?

JDP
01-25-2005, 02:57 PM
you can use up to 3gb in winxp using the 3gb switch in the boot.ini file. There are a couple of threads about it so do a search and you should find a thread that explains what to do. This only works for R9.

archeo
01-25-2005, 05:54 PM
What is the line of code to type in the boot.ini? In win NT sever it is "/3Go". I test this boot.ini
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professionnel" /fastdetect/3Go

but the switch does not work

JDP
01-26-2005, 02:08 AM
What is the line of code to type in the boot.ini? In win NT sever it is "/3Go". I test this boot.ini
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professionnel" /fastdetect/3Go

but the switch does not work

It should be /3gb not /3go ,also read this thread http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=173138&highlight=3gb+switch . I also noticed you are using C4d R8.5, you will need R9 for this to work.

archeo
01-26-2005, 07:46 AM
Thanks JDP

CGTalk Moderation
01-26-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.