PDA

View Full Version : Output Quality - AfterEffects vs Combustion

riyazgomes
01-18-2005, 06:58 AM
Hi ..Im in the process of setting up a low cost visual effects studio and even though we prefer using AE for our work..I was told by a film director that AE output quality is not as good as other hi-end softwares.....what I wanted to know is if combustion output quality is any better.

Thanks in advance

Blur1
01-18-2005, 02:18 PM
Maybe your director friend is comparing to something like a flame?
If you are working with video and capture 10 bit digibeta then process in 16 bit in After Effects then go out to tape at 10 bit you will have a better quality image than a flame. Another thing is that when a flame artist backs up the job in the evening, they put it onto digibeta tape and the image's chroma information loses half its resolution due to the limitations of the tape format (4:2:2 sampling).

If you want to work in floating point then you can't use After Effects. More and more film work is being done in floating point because you can set the black point and white point of a Cineon file without clipping, and work in linear space. The way around this if you want to comp Cineon files in linear space in After Effects is to use eLin.
If you are not working with Cineon log files then this is not an issue, and you can also comp in log space in After Effects with no loss of dynamic range.
Besides this, After Effects is excellent quality for all forms of work, I have done 4K film work in AE and it worked just great.
I used combustion for a couple of months at a studio but found it to be buggy on PC and Mac. It does floating point, but I can't imagine doing a 2K film composite let alone in float space. I would use Shake for anything like this.
To sum up, this director doesn't know what the hell they are talking about.

Dan Wade
01-22-2005, 11:51 AM
I thought the PRO version of AE since 6 has got floating point?

CGTalk Moderation
01-22-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.