PDA

View Full Version : Help: Modeling a Brids Wing

jonathan161
02-09-2002, 04:20 AM
Hello
I was wondering if anyone could help me, i am modeling a bird (tucan) and im about to start to model the wing, but i cant get it into my head how a wing folds and unfolds??? Does anyone know of a site that might show/explain this??
Or if anyone has modeled a bird in the past could give me a few tips??

Thanks in advance :)

jonathan

ToddD
02-09-2002, 09:11 AM
Hey Jonathan, have you tried using Google to search for Toucan photos? That's all I could think of, or a trip to the zoo! =)

SheepFactory
02-09-2002, 11:21 AM
a couple of sites that might help you on the way

http://www.ups.edu/biology/museum/wingphotos.html

http://www.lam.mus.ca.us/birds/guide/pg003.html

are you having trouble rigging the bird or modelling it?

if its rigging , thats what i did , i set the joints as anatomically correct as possible , than one sunday morning i got my handicam and chased pigeons in the park .

approach the pigeons from behind silently and do loud sounds when recording them , you will capture awesome footage showing how the wings work , their resting position , how it opens up , how they take off how they land. with that kinda footage you cant go wrong. couple of people will think you are mad but thats ok , when i was doing it an old lady threatened to call the cops.

and what software are you using ?

best of luck

A|i

chrislomaka
02-17-2002, 07:19 AM
i had a bird in my senior thesis, and man was it a pain... if this is one of your first attempts at tackling such a thing, i'd suggest doing the wings as a separate piece of geometry. in most cases it can be worked to look decent.
as far as references, check out edweird moybridge's (ah, spelling i don't know) book on animal motion. it has some wonderful pics of birds in flight. check out a pet store, and watch them stretch their wings. get an encylopedia on bird anatomy to check out the bones and muscles. if all else fails, buy a chicken (no, i'm serious).
also, as long as you're not doing any sort of special, slow-motion shot, remember that the transition from closed to open and flaping typicall takes only a few frames . with a health motion blur, you can afford to be a little off.

kpalazov
02-18-2002, 11:55 PM
lol:):) man thats funny. I think the footage of you filming the birds would be better:)lol

thats a good story:)

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 12:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.