PDA

View Full Version : Pivot Problem?

shamonsflame
01-18-2005, 03:48 AM
Hello,

When I try to move my character she "moves apart". I have tried to parent and group but I keep having this issue. Is this a pivot point problem? How do I fix/correct my mistake?

http://home.comcast.net/%7Egarrettesperum/badmove.jpg

Thank You!

tedledz
01-18-2005, 10:36 AM
Hi, so your saying when you move your character she comes apart? Well if you have already tried parenting it and grouping it, have you tried moving the pivot? :)

Illumino
01-18-2005, 01:45 PM
This is called double transformation - if you have one object parented to another (eg your characters head and clothing parented to the body) and then you seperately select each item and move them, the child objects will move with the parent plus with the transformation you have given them individually. Try moving just the parent object, or in the case of groups select just the group heading in the outliner (not each component), everything else will move along with it!

I..

shamonsflame
01-19-2005, 04:28 AM
I think I have come down with a bad case of double-translation...

No fun! No quick fix...

Illumino
01-19-2005, 10:13 AM
Well if you have no grouping or parenting of the geometry and have done a freeze transformations there's no reason you should get this problem - it only happens when an object is being moved but also has the movement of it's parent (hope that makes sense!) - the only way you're going to prevent it if you have to have some sort of grouping, parenting or constraint is to combine the separate objects or create another object eg a locator to which you can parent everything else - have this positioned just above the character then when you move it everything will move. Just make sure you're only ever moving one component (ie the locator or the parent object) though! Is your character rigged by the way?

I..

shamonsflame
01-20-2005, 12:26 AM
Yes my character is rigged.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.