PDA

View Full Version : models form maya to max

AsaMovshovitz
01-17-2005, 08:03 AM
hello helpfull masters of modeling,
i was trying to export a model i did in maya 6 to max 7 and wasn't able to find a way to do it.
i managed to export a model from max to maya useing FBX.format on a ploy model and it worked perfectly:).
anybody knows how to export a FBX format form maya, or any other format that i could later on use it in max??????

thanks,

AsA

Kassar
01-18-2005, 06:24 PM
Check in the next link:

http://www.alias.com/eng/products-services/fbx/index.shtml

You need download the plug in and the format converter from this page.

AsaMovshovitz
01-19-2005, 08:34 AM
Thanks Kassar,

Did that, and notice it only worked with version 5.3. max doesn't read FBX 6.0, strange but true.

when i tried it with 5.3 it kept given me error massages when i exported from maya, it said that some normals have negative values and FBX doesn't know how to recognize them....
it is probably my bad modeling skills in maya that made that happened, i tried to empty all the groups, delete al the history (it was a subdiv model that i turned into poly with blend shpes) tried to play with filp normals, avrage normals etc. tools that maya has to offer, but it didn't work.
when importing the fbx file it only brought empty poly boxes into max.

at the end i did managed to move one (out of 30 morph targets) of my models to 3D max but
since i pressed al the buttons i don't really know how i did that...

any suggestions?

Thanks again to all the gurus that are reading this,

Asa

fullthrottle
01-19-2005, 12:52 PM
For bringing maya files to max the best I found was to make it an .obj file. I can't remember exactly where it is, all I know its where all the plugins are loacted for mental ray and what not. I find it the best and reliable way right now. Sorry this is so vague......

AsaMovshovitz
01-20-2005, 01:34 PM
thanks fullthrottle, it did the job,
now it is all looking lovely:)

Dreamy Kid
01-26-2005, 09:54 PM
one big problem i found out about this is obj can't read booleans hole when you bring it to max...it's true, i've been having a hell of hard times with this.

CGTalk Moderation
01-26-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.