PDA

View Full Version : Demo Reel January 2005 (Jonas Ussing)

jussing
01-17-2005, 12:27 AM
Hey all,

here's my demo reel with the canyon pyramid and the lava bridge. Maybe a tad short, but it's all I have that I want to show, and I start applying for jobs now. :)

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD (http://www.duck.dk/cgi/demoreel_jussing_2005_january.mov) (23 MB Quicktime, Sorenson 3)

Cheers,
- Jonas

http://www.diku.dk/hjemmesider/studerende/duck/canyonpyr.jpg
http://www.diku.dk/hjemmesider/studerende/duck/lava_poster.jpg

harmonic01
01-17-2005, 02:13 AM
Hey Jones.

It takes forever to download. But what I see so far looks great. It's nice to see different layers too. :-)

jussing
01-17-2005, 02:17 AM
Thank you!

Yea, the bandwidth stinks, eh. Not much I can do about that, I'm afraid. But at least it's streamable so you can watch it bit by bit while it downloads. :shrug:

Glad you like the layers.

Cheers,
- Jonas

Zag
01-17-2005, 03:03 AM
Yep it did take a bit to download...

The layers help a lot to see the work behind the final scene.

I just have 1 critic to make mate, and thats the number of shots you put in the demo. You did a good job but you should put more work showing more variety on what you are capable off.

Cheers and
Good Luck!! :)

urico
01-17-2005, 05:34 AM
Jussing,

I like how you added the break downs for each environment you created, really nice. I would have to agree with Zag, after watching those amazing environments you created I was wishing for more. Will you be adding any more to it? Good work tho!

cheers!

jussing
01-17-2005, 02:40 PM
Hi guys, thanks again for the nice comments.

Yea, it's true, there's not a lot on it. :shrug: But the rule says "only show your best work on our reel", and these are the only two clips I've made that I think rock enough for a demo reel. :)

I've got some more stuff on my homepage (http://www.duck.dk/html/cgi.html), but it's not good enough for the reel.

But yea, I'm working on new stuff, so hopefully I'll be posting an update soon. :)

Cheers,
- Jonas

mattmos
01-17-2005, 04:58 PM
What you have so far is quality work. One small crit about your website though, I was viewing at 1600 x 1200 and the text made my eyes water! Think you need to go one size up ;)

seger
01-17-2005, 11:02 PM
I'm writting while downloading the movie. It's half there.Thanks. It is gorgeous. Absolutely top notch. I seldom give rankings but now I will. These technics are just very educational. You could become a blockbuster in educational films, of whatever sort. Or are you already?

jussing
01-18-2005, 10:02 PM
Thanks! Very kind words, seger and mattmos.

Educational? Heh, no. But thanks anyway. ;)

I'm currently applying with animation studios and effects houses in Copenhagen and London. Wish me luck! ;)

Thanks,
- Jonas

spirogyro
01-31-2005, 08:17 PM
This is absolutly AMAZING! The score you pick fits perfectly. I find myself looping it because your work is simple but beautiful. I only wish we could see more of pyramid I feel as if it's too short. AWESOME!!

ZouhairY
02-01-2005, 06:38 PM
the lava is extremly exotic

well done...

steffenoid
02-03-2005, 02:24 AM
that was freggin' awesome. 'nuff said.

mike0006
02-04-2005, 06:52 AM
Pimp shiznit. Two thumbs up.

steffenoid
02-05-2005, 01:16 AM
btw, how did you get the edges of the bricks on the pyramid to be all random and jagged like that-did you just handmodel them or displacement or what?

Omega Productions
02-05-2005, 02:22 AM
Hi Jonas,

1st off, very impressive reel you have there. I love how you have deconstructed each scene.
I agree with the others it does seem to cut a little short. 1 more deconstructed scene would be perfect.

Also how did you go about creating the heat haze effect?

Regards

Tom

jussing
02-05-2005, 07:32 AM
Hey guys, thanks a lot! The reel just landed me my first gig, so I don't hang around as much as I'd like to recently. ;)

The haze effect is a displacement in After Effects. The displacement matte itself is shown in the shot breakdown, and that is achieved by setting up some planes with smoke maps in the scene.

I've described some more about it here in the WIP:
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=182249&page=7&pp=15

Thanks a lot for checking it out,
- Jonas

mattmos
02-05-2005, 10:09 AM
Hey Jonas, congrats on the job! So where have you ended up, Copenhagen or London? Or somewhere completely different :)

jussing
02-05-2005, 10:33 AM
Hey thanks!

I'm in Copenhagen, haven't heard from London yet.

I was also offered a spot in Holland, outside Amsterdam, but.... I wasn't ready to relocate there. ;)

I'm making a flying logo for a TV commercial... -hey, my reel needed a flying logo! :D

Cheers,
- Jonas

mattmos
02-05-2005, 10:47 AM
Please tell me it's chrome as well!

...And a lens flare or two wouldn't go amiss ;)

jussing
02-05-2005, 10:51 AM
It's chrome allright! :D And maybe I can squeeze in a lens flare... Haha.

- Jonas

ScottageCheese
02-06-2005, 03:42 PM
Jussing, really nice work man. really nice.

I really like the Pyramid shot... nice environmentals.

The one thing that stood out to me was, you have direct sunlight hitting the pyramid, yet in the background, the sky is white and hazly with a strong glow, i thought it would have been more foggy....

But, it's pretty none the less... works well.....

Omega Productions
02-07-2005, 07:00 AM
Thanks for the info about the heat haze. I'm off to give it a go now.

oobersli
02-08-2005, 10:53 PM
Nicely done, but since the pyramid isn't in the desert there wouldn't be as much structure damage on the bricks, and more of a moldy/ water damage look. Thats the only thing that makes it stick out of place, ;) -oob

cgclay
02-12-2005, 05:45 AM
Hey Jussing, I just ran across this your demo while going through some older threads. Beautiful work you have there, and I really loved the break down of each scene. I would also love to see some more environments on this from you. Very nice presentation of your work too. Sorry I have no real constructive criticism here, but I think your demo is deserving of a little praise on its own!:)

Joblh
02-12-2005, 09:17 AM
This is just stunning! :eek: I've repeat your reel over and over :P

cadavatar
02-14-2005, 02:05 AM
I downloaded it and it was worth every second of the wait. It was cool to see how the layering was done. The lava and the chamber was awesome.

rickycox
10-20-2005, 04:53 AM
Excellent work, love the feel.

arun_krc
10-23-2005, 08:27 PM
Absolutely wonderful, the deconstructed shots were very useful....keep them coming!:thumbsup:

jussing
10-24-2005, 08:06 AM
Thanks guys, you're too kind!

I hope to be able to put my August reel up soon, but I still can't due to NDA reasons, because there's yet unreleased material on it.

Thanks! :)

Cheers,
- Jonas

rquinn
02-22-2006, 07:12 PM
WOAAA Tha is some great stuff!
so much work must have gotten into this and it shows!
GREAT AMAZING STUFF!
I love the waterfalls! how did you do that!

CGTalk Moderation
02-22-2006, 07:12 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.