PDA

View Full Version : Plane animation/lighting test

Dan Wade
01-16-2005, 10:52 AM
Here is a small sequence im working on with a friend. Hes doing the anim, im doing the rendering and compositing.

http://www.danwade.org/plane_test1.mov

XYZRGB
01-16-2005, 01:28 PM
Perfect . No crits.....If I had to be picky, pehaps a very slight bit of post work to make it look like video footage. :thumbsup:

Dan Wade
01-16-2005, 03:09 PM
Thanx Vegan. I wasn't sure about some defocus at the start, as the camera tries to catch up with the plane, or is that a bit overused now in CG?

Some friends made comments about the latter bank, too slow, and too sharp. Even fixed, dont think its very interesting, so was tempted to cut a second or so after the loop.

Some heat haze coming from the rear boosters might help also.

Thanx,
Dan.

icky
01-16-2005, 09:17 PM
I think the first half works well, but the latter stages, although realistic, could do with spicing up a bit. I'd prefer to see 2 of 3 fighters flying alongside and keeping formation. I think that would instantly make the slow move into something more cool looking :)

Ricky

Fly3D
01-16-2005, 10:00 PM
I think the problem in the bank near the end is that most modern fighters (including the typhoon) are quite heavy with pretty high wing loadings. As they increase G's in the turn the wing loading (naturally) increases further and they begin to push or drift towards the belly (due to the loss of lift) Your's tracks perfectly through the turn making it apear like a much lighter aircraft (more like a model than full scale). I would try to increase the "drift" effect to add to the realism. Overall it's a really nice animation and excellent model though. Good work.

rhino23
01-17-2005, 02:57 AM
Looks great, but here are my two cents...

Like everyone else has mentioned the last half looks a bit off, to me it looks as if the plane is too light(Fly3D explained it much better than I could). For some reason I feel that it should speed up during the barrel rolls and as it flys away from the camera, I dunno why, I guess I think it would be more interesting. Also, why the grain? Is that on purpose, or compression artifacts? Some texture work would help too. Ok, that's me being nit picky, but I think it looks like a really good start, Congrats!

Dan Wade
01-17-2005, 11:26 AM
Thanx guys. Yea, had quite a few comments about the latter part of the animation. I think even with it fixed, its a little boring, so im tempted to cut that bit out, and end the anim a few secs after the first role.

I put the grain in on purpose. Im trying to go for as real as poss, and the grain/blur effecrs were there to make it look more like recorded footage, and less clean 'CG'. Believe it or not but the plane is fully textured, but after my heavy grading and desaturation, you loose most of that. I have some footage for reference, at that is even more graded than mine.

A friend made some comments about adding more specular hits for the plane body.

Thanx,
Dan.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.