PDA

View Full Version : A bit of everything...

Viewtiful Baker
01-15-2005, 11:10 PM
Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but I'm new here. This is my first post, I just wanted to see if anybody could critique my work a little. I'm in my final semester of Digital animation now, and I'm working on my demo reel. This is my website project from this past semester. Pretty simple, but I've got some of my better stuff there. Animations, stills, sketches, and so on. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Here is my webpage. Please give any comments, positive or negative.

http://newmedia.cna.nl.ca/~10018516

KevinCCAD
01-16-2005, 04:43 AM
crit for the website.
I'm not sure if this will be correct since my computer might see it differently from others. A few things.. I don't really like the font, the boxes for links are blank before you mouse over? that makes it awkward and like a guessing game, you should atleast hint at them with a fainter font color or something before the mouseover, the layout feels odd, like it's really flat, maybe it needs some gradients. Also think back to your 2d design classes and try to incorporate eye movement and dominant, subdominant and subordinant shapes a little better. I see that you've started to do some kind of technical type of design, maybe try expanding this theme to create a flow to the look of your page.

*edit* not sure if you wanted the webpage crit, I just re-read your post.

Viewtiful Baker
01-16-2005, 04:49 PM
Thank you kindly. I thought it a little flat, honestly. Also your layout tips are good. I noticed that while I was showing it to a friend recently, I completely forgot about the links on the bottom page. I'm not sure if I'm going to keep the technological theme. I may go a little more organic to make my site a companion to my demo reel. Stay with a consistant theme throughout.

But again, thanks for the advice. I wasn't sure anyone would respond. I'm looking to get as much advice, and make as many connections as possible here, so I'll probably be putting some WIP stuff up from my reel, as it develops.

Thanks again,
Baker

Bluebird2602
01-16-2005, 07:10 PM
Hey man, like KevinCCAD said get rid of the font. I like Homestar runner too, but that font he uses for that webpage just sucks. Secondly, I would not use Dr. Bunsen from the Softimage tutorials for your portfolio either. That's an instant rejection from employers on demo reels... Try and come up with your own character, and some kind of piece. I would say most of all it's your portfolio that needs the most work. I'm not trying to put you down I'm just telling it to you straight.

Viewtiful Baker
01-16-2005, 09:22 PM
Bluebird2602. No prob, thanks for just being honest. Don't get me wrong though, as far as my plans go right now, NONE of the content on my site right now will be in my demo reel. Most of it probably won't be on my site in the next 4 months.

The walk cycle was our first animation assignment this past semester. Our instructor made us use Beck so we could spend the full time animating (2 weeks). The boxlift was a rig design that everyone did as a project for another class, applied to the basic "Man" model from XSI.

The head for the lip sync was completely done by myself, design, modeling, blendshapes, animation, and I decided to play with the toon shader because there was no time left for texturing. The texture layout is ready to be used for painting, however.

The main focus of my reel is going to be a full (skeleton, muscle, skin) model of a fairly large man.

But as I said. Most of the stuff on my site probably won't be there in a few months. Maybe the life drawings (minus that terrible portrait drawing.. ugghh...) But thank you very much for the feedback.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.