PDA

View Full Version : Painter IX: CPU usage

Auctor
01-15-2005, 02:19 PM
Hi,

i am a beginner with Painter (and painting itself) and have a "problem" i hope you guys can help me with.

I work on a Laptop (Acer Travelmate 803Lci) with 1,6 Ghz Pentium M and 512 MB of Ram. I installed Painter yesterday and played a bit around. Nothing special. Configure the Hotkeys and try some brushes. But i noticed that if i do anything in painter, the cpu usage jumps to almost 100% and my fan is running constantly! That is very annoying because i like it to be very quiet while painting and the fan is really noisy.

I searched in google, this Forum and also looked for an patch or update. It seems that this is/was a problem in Painter 8 but i donīt find anything about it in painter 9.

Hope someone can help me with this.

thanks a lot in advance and sorry for my english!

Martin

nafa
01-16-2005, 02:38 AM
It is natural that pixel manipulating programs are CPU and memory intensive.

You can try improving the ventilation around your laptop. I have a Dell laptop and the fan used to start whenever I did serious work on it. I then elevated the rear end of the laptop (to allow free flow of air) and the fan seldom starts nowadays.

mdwsr
01-16-2005, 04:43 AM
1.7 Pentium M here, 1 gig ram (the ram made a big difference, I was using 512).

My CPU pegs out at 100% when painting, have not checked on my desktop yet. Even though my desktop is faster but I still prefer my laptop connected to a big monitor. And my fan runs alot too. In the time it took to type this my fan kick into low after just using painter.

I have a suggestion.

Turn up the stereo.

Auctor
01-16-2005, 06:55 AM
hi and thanks a lot for your help.

a pitty that there is no "workaround". In Photoshop i have no problems with the Fan at all. even if i paint a lot. (But i like painter much more in painting.)

i also bought a "feet" for my laptop to put on. Now i have less problems with the fan but still in painter it runs constantly..

so i have to live with it. well, i hope it get used to it. :)

again, thanks for your help

Martin

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.