PDA

View Full Version : Frontiersman

howdesign
01-14-2005, 10:41 PM
Hello! This is my first time posting an image here, after a few months of observing (and drooling at all the great work). This image is for an educational/historical project about Lewis and Clark. This guy is going to be the fur trader/trapper who's wife is Sacajawea. About an hour with my tablet in Photoshop for the sketch and painting so far. I'll be posting another update tomorrow. I expect to have it finished then so I'm not necessarily looking for critiques, but comments welcome!

This image is another step for me in gaining confidence in working mostly from my imagination. Although I do have traditional art training, I've always avoided (feared!) working from my imagination but now am trying to make up for lost time. The work in these forums have been a real inspiration to try it myself, plus the project I'm doing pretty much requires it. Doing this type of stuff can be very fulfilling but scary at the same time. I'm sure all of you can relate. The only way to get better is to do it. Seeing other work and watching tutorials only goes so far!

http://www.michiganepic.org/blog/FurTrader.jpg

Espen
01-14-2005, 11:55 PM
Hi howdesign,

I very much like your work! Nice to hear that you start posting with a picture crafted so well and with such an interesting sujet. I like ductus and coloring a lot. And it's good to see characters beside aliens, girls (nude or not) and other spaceship/monster stuff. It's easy to see that you have traditional art training. The shadow that falls on his face is very nice. I think the eyes, his thumb and the way his gun is settled on his shoulder could need some refinement. I wouldn't go more into details than what you did with the face... it's good that way and don't erase the rough outlines - they give the picture an individual, handmade and authentic look.

Greeting from Berlin, Germany
Espen

Eternally Mine
01-15-2005, 06:49 AM
I am happy to see a new artist. I enjoyed veiwing your work and found only one detail that causes me to pause. The man seems to squint and his eye not deined and I am sure you probably intended it to appear so but I had to say nevertheless. Thank you for letting me you work.

howdesign
01-15-2005, 10:44 PM
Here's an update, with more work done to the head and face area. I thought I only had a couple more hours to do on it, but I'm having fun and will spend some more time on it than first planned. Thanks for the comments so far!

http://www.michiganepic.org/blog/FurTrader2.jpg

Ognus
01-16-2005, 12:14 AM
ooooooooo I likey.
Not that im into scruffy guys with rifles. or guys for that matter.
but its looking sharp.
i want to see the final product. so get done!

howdesign
01-17-2005, 03:42 PM
I'm about 75-80% of the way through this I think. Spent about an hour on the hand last night and it still needs a little something. I'm going to try and simulate the leather in his clothing more and put some time in to the rifle and see where I'm at. The feather in his hat needs some work too!

http://michiganepic.org/blog/FurTrader3.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.