PDA

View Full Version : the Second Monitor display non in LW7.5

dongge
09-08-2002, 01:25 AM
Hi, all

I just get a DELL 530 workstation with the 700XGL graphics card. The graphics card have two sockets. When I run the LW 7.5 Modeler in primary monitor and run the Layout in the second monitor, the Modeler is working peffect, but the Layout have something wrong.

I can see the interface of the Layout, but the view window is empty! No object, no grid, just the empty. I have change the view to BACK, FRONT, CAMERA, PERSPECTIVE, but the view window always is empty.

Do I need a upgrade patch to resolving this problem? Which is the patch?

Thank you very much in advance!

---
Dong Ge

Fuzer
09-08-2002, 01:59 AM
I had/have this problem with my Quadro700. Only I am just trying to use the Graph Editor on the 2nd monitor.

You can fix the problem, but it creates another:

Go into your cards "Additional Settings" -then- "OpenGL Settings" -then- Check "Enable Advanced Multiple Monitors"
((this is the way you do it on my system anyway))
This allows you to have OpenGL on both monitors.

Now... The problem with this setting occurs when you switch between different viewport configurations in modeler... your OpenGL acceleration will all but die. So I have to change this setting between modeling and animation settings... Usually I just use the Graph Editor on my primary display though.... guess I'm lazy like that :p

I guess this is something NVidia will have to fix. I don't think NewTek can do anything about it :shrug:

twidup
09-08-2002, 02:37 AM
I am running a Geforce 4 4600 here and dual monitors off of it. WIth NView, I havent ran into this problem.

Are you using NView or letting Win2K/XP see teh dual heads on teh card and setting up dual monitors that way?

Fuzer
09-08-2002, 04:06 AM
Hmmm.... Maybe there is hope :)

I am using NView running on XP.
Might be something with the Quadros.

If you (or anyone else) can think of something I can try, I would be very greatful... This is such an annoying problem :hmm:

Petrik
09-08-2002, 05:45 AM
I have a ti4400 with similar problems. Will be going back to a single monitor soon and save on the power bill.

Valkyrien
09-08-2002, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by Petrik
I have a ti4400 with similar problems. Will be going back to a single monitor soon and save on the power bill.

nooooo! dual monitors great!!

btw I had similar problems until NVIDIA released the latest set of Detonator drivers...now it works perfectly!:)

ClingFree
09-08-2002, 02:39 PM
Your OpenGL is not working in the second monitor. Sometimes you have to make some adjustments in the registry to make it available. Open regedit.exe, go to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\nv\Device0, add a binary value named Ogl_MultiMonAdvEnable and set it to 01, then do the same for Device1, Device2, ...

Do this at your own risk.
:thumbsup:

Chewey
09-08-2002, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Petrik

Are you serious about the power bill?

;>

Norbert
09-08-2002, 04:44 PM
Since this subject is already brought up, maybe I won't have to post a new thread.

I'm having a problem with Lightwave with a dual monitor ATI Radeon 7500 card. After I move non modal panels to the second monitor, clicking on the drop down menues doesn't work. I have to bring the panel back on top of the main interface (on the 1st monitor) to be able to access those menues.

Any ideas?

ClingFree
09-08-2002, 05:01 PM
It is also a OpenGL problem Norbert. Have you tried the registry change I posted above? Remember to restart your machine after making the change. Gotta love windows...agghh.

Fuzer
09-08-2002, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the suggestions Valkyrien and ClingFree. I will give that a try.... sooner than later I hope :)

Any other suggestions also appreciated.

Bytehawk
09-08-2002, 10:41 PM
this is my config :

disabled nview
dual nvidia cards (one pci and one agp)
registry hack as described above

works perfectly
also : if it works don't change it
(so don't change the display drivers every time a new one comes out or you might break it again - my experience !)

twidup
09-09-2002, 03:54 AM
Since this is sort of on this topic, I recently upgraded to the new det 40 driver and low and be hold, I can no longer view any type of video file on my second monitor. Anyone run into this or know what causes it. It worked fine before, but I am not sure what set of drivers I was using then :(

thanks
-Todd

Bytehawk
09-09-2002, 11:20 AM
ditto here, on second monitor great opengl acc., no video overlay
but I live with it

Petrik
09-09-2002, 05:36 PM
After I move non modal panels to the second monitor, clicking on the drop down menues doesn't work. I have to bring the panel back on top of the main interface (on the 1st monitor) to be able to access those menues.

Well I loaded the Detonator drivers and at least have a display now but still have the above problem. I even tried the registry entry suggested in this thread and still no luck.

studiomiguel
09-09-2002, 08:33 PM
are there machines out there with dual agp slots?

Bytehawk
09-10-2002, 01:07 AM
no
:annoyed:

studiomiguel
09-10-2002, 02:38 AM
Dang!
:D

twidup
09-10-2002, 03:34 AM
Bytehawk,

I did get my video overlay to work on the second monitor, using the det 40 drivers and activating the NVKeyStone feature.

-Todd

Psyhke
09-10-2002, 05:25 AM
Okay...Norbert & Petrik:

The menus not opening on your second monitor is most likely due to LW having problems with reversed monitors-- meaning Windows has a natural left to right configuration for your monitors, but allows you to reverse them by configuring monitor 2 to be to the left of 1. LW doesn't like this. Basically, just try reversing the order of your monitors (via software), which will means you'll have to also physically switch them around, too, to maintain proper desktop direction.

Hope this makes some sense.

Valkyrien
09-10-2002, 05:35 AM
hm your theories are intriguing...I d/led the new drivers at about the same time i switched sides...interesting....

Yiorgz
09-11-2002, 05:34 AM
Originally posted by Norbert
Since this subject is already brought up, maybe I won't have to post a new thread.

I'm having a problem with Lightwave with a dual monitor ATI Radeon 7500 card. After I move non modal panels to the second monitor, clicking on the drop down menues doesn't work. I have to bring the panel back on top of the main interface (on the 1st monitor) to be able to access those menues.

Any ideas?

The trick is not so much the LEFT to RIGHT monitor orientation as much as it is the NEGATIVE offsets.

eg. Monitor 1 on the left and 2 on the right could still cause problems if monitor 1's offset co-ordinates are [-1279,0] LightWave doesn't appear to want to popup it's menus at negative co-ordinates like those found on a second screen set up like so (ps if anyone else can double confirm this with a different card it would be good - thanks).

I have monitor 1 on the right of my main screen (which breaks the left to right rules) but I made monitor 2 my primary display and extended the desktop over to monitor 1. Placing 1 on my right still gives it [1280,0] co-ordinates and 2 has [0,0]. LW pops it's menus everywhere now.

I also had to do that Enable Advanced Multiple Monitors switch to get LW OpenGL to work on both screens - but the two problems are for different reasons.

Bytehawk
09-11-2002, 10:24 AM
twidup,

thanks for the info,
heard some bad things about the 40 drivers, will wait for another month or so to upgrade. After all, I only have GF2 cards in my computer, so performance will not increase that much. I'm always afraid something like this will let me loose a few hours reconfiguring everything.

Psyhke
09-11-2002, 10:32 PM
Yiorgz: That's exactly right. I was just trying to avoid racking my brain to explain it as specifically as you. Good job. :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.