PDA

View Full Version : Elve & Dragon vs. ROBOTZ!

V_Shane
01-14-2005, 07:08 AM
I removed these preliminaries to save space in the thread for download ease.

V_Shane
01-14-2005, 07:11 AM
Oh yeah, here is the storyline, also i am taking this to a SF/F book cover art direction, not unlike my OPERA piece technique.

V_Shane
01-14-2005, 09:10 AM
I removed these preliminaries to save space in the thread for download ease.

V_Shane
01-14-2005, 07:16 PM
man , ok I was hoping for more interaction here. No crits? I know this baby's not perfect, every painting needs some kind of work.

http://www.wacomknight.com/Comic/AgainstAllOdds_VShane.jpg

ajay1589
01-14-2005, 10:09 PM
i guess since the frequent posters(all 3 of them) decided to be busy all at the same time...u got left out XD Great linework and idea....keep working

V_Shane
01-14-2005, 11:24 PM
3 frequents huh? lol, alright, I will. Thanks for the prodding :)

stoo
01-15-2005, 02:45 PM
I think the problem is that what you've done so far looks utterly ace and there is not much to crit on :). Love your choice colors and i'll be really interested how you make the elf and the dragon look apart from each other.

Please kep posting your updates :).

cheers,
stoo

NOOB!
01-15-2005, 03:01 PM
i like it,i hate not getting feedback either.

but this is looking good so far.!!

mhunt
01-15-2005, 04:06 PM
it's common to get little feedback on the WIP threads but you'll get them. As for critics, I like the drawing a lot, my only coment would be for the expression on the guy because he seems too calm, if that's the idea then you got it. I look forward to the finished piece.Is that painter or photoshop ?

Ognus
01-15-2005, 04:13 PM
I disagree that people who are good dont get feedback. Its exactly the opposite. The people who are fantastic and dont really need any guidance get about 6 pages of "youre great, wonderful, fantastic, if you dont stop being so good im gonna run out of things to say" but those who need commentary rarely get it.
If you took all of the commentary on this board, and put it into types, you would find that 95% of it is simply "good job" commentary. Maybe 5% or less is actual critique and commentary that is meant to uplift and help young artists grow.
CGTalk is great and everything, but there is one thing their environment does not do, and that is give people who are developing talent the opportunity to get constructive positive feedback in order to grow. If you want to grow and get better, go somewhere else. Because you wont get it here. This board will sell you some books on how to get better however! But thats about it. I will tell you exactly what this board is, its a board for apple polishing boot lickers. Once you create perfection and you dont need comments, you will get pages of it. But until then, expect your stuff to just slide off un noticed.
This board is not for getting better. Its for telling people how good they already are.
Nuff said.

That being said,
we can create our own little clique and designate ourselves to helping each other and those who are new, and dedicate ourselves to imparting what little we know to each other. Perhaps then, when we are good, we can give good and honest feedback to those who struggle, and this board will become a haven of learning instead of a haven of fawners and flatterers.
I say we start our own little club, and look forward to each others pieces, and give each other positive and honest feedback to help each other grow.
Because we arent going to get it from those front pagers. I dont think they even know how to talk.

Whos with me? Oh and im totally taking the goldfish and the squinting secretary.

And the reason people get bitter about it? Because we put just as much work into our stuff and those pros do in their stuff. And to just be shunned, well it sucks. Im just saying, get used to it, or do something about it. Im willing to start our own little group. It would be a refuge and a comfort and a benefit to us all.

Ognus
01-15-2005, 04:21 PM
Oh and about your art,
I think it would be great if in the background (bg) the ship was lit up with some kind of techno glow, and the robots had some kind of light technology to designate them as new and advanced, and if the elve and dragon were kind of lacking those things in the foreground (fg)
I believe that would add "tension" and dramatic weight to the piece. It would be like "Oh crud, here somes these powerful menacing mindless drone robots with advanced armor and weaponry, and all we got is humanoid ingenuity and some pistols.
Youll find that as I comment on things, I am looking at the scene and story. Every now and then I will comment on a technique or method, but those things are so unique to each artist and I the differences between artists that I will rarely comment on form and such. See, that is why a club would be beneficial, some people could comment on context, some on form, some on color. It would be great.
Anyhow, id like to see it progress.

V_Shane
01-24-2005, 01:38 AM
Oh man, CG Talk never notified me there were replies. Makes me look like a prude :hmm:

I appreciate the replys and Ognus you do make alot of valid points and the others as well. But, what may look totally "ace" to some, could be seen as faulty in some aspects with the experianced eyes of other professinals as well. THose kind of "deep" replys are far and few in between, I know I do my best to help out the self starters here on CGTalk. Its funny though, what I may change in someones piece may not be totaly valid in thier eyes as I can't read thier mind and try to guess where thier piece is going. Thats why often when I do post, I immediatley establish a direction of where I want it to go "like a mainstream book cover for Del, Tor, Bantam etc..." that way I am hoping crit-ters will base thier dierection on the observation of those kind of books. BUT that may be a bit much to ask on any forum as most illustrators (I have run into online) tend to gear their work toward gaming companies in both the CCG/RPG/and 3D markets. With that said and a big thank you to you guys who took the time to look (Ognus I like your idea) here is the finished piece, wish I could do more but I don't have the time (and the contest is over "eatpoo.com")

http://www.wacomknight.com/Remote_Art/AgainstAllOdds_VShane.jpg

GOTgraphic
01-24-2005, 03:45 AM
Nice work!

Crit: The guy's upper arms look a tad small. The foreground space looks slightly confusing... you have to start thinking where the dragon ends and the guy starts.

@Ognus, I started giving constructive criticism and a couple of posters started calling me a bigot and were asking mods to ban me. So I don't do it much anymore. Its a PC world theses days no matter where we are... sad to say.... There's nothing ever wrong, which if you really think about it, means there could be nothing right.

LiQuiD12
01-24-2005, 10:01 AM
I disagree that people who are good dont get feedback. Its exactly the opposite. The people who are fantastic and dont really need any guidance get about 6 pages of "youre great, wonderful, fantastic, if you dont stop being so good im gonna run out of things to say" but those who need commentary rarely get it.
If you took all of the commentary on this board, and put it into types, you would find that 95% of it is simply "good job" commentary. Maybe 5% or less is actual critique and commentary that is meant to uplift and help young artists grow.
CGTalk is great and everything, but there is one thing their environment does not do, and that is give people who are developing talent the opportunity to get constructive positive feedback in order to grow. If you want to grow and get better, go somewhere else. Because you wont get it here. This board will sell you some books on how to get better however! But thats about it. I will tell you exactly what this board is, its a board for apple polishing boot lickers. Once you create perfection and you dont need comments, you will get pages of it. But until then, expect your stuff to just slide off un noticed.
This board is not for getting better. Its for telling people how good they already are.
Nuff said.

That being said,
we can create our own little clique and designate ourselves to helping each other and those who are new, and dedicate ourselves to imparting what little we know to each other. Perhaps then, when we are good, we can give good and honest feedback to those who struggle, and this board will become a haven of learning instead of a haven of fawners and flatterers.
I say we start our own little club, and look forward to each others pieces, and give each other positive and honest feedback to help each other grow.
Because we arent going to get it from those front pagers. I dont think they even know how to talk.

Whos with me? Oh and im totally taking the goldfish and the squinting secretary.

And the reason people get bitter about it? Because we put just as much work into our stuff and those pros do in their stuff. And to just be shunned, well it sucks. Im just saying, get used to it, or do something about it. Im willing to start our own little group. It would be a refuge and a comfort and a benefit to us all.

Im with you :thumbsup:

Great post there ognus :) very true.

White Rabbit
01-24-2005, 01:56 PM
Nice work! As criticism seems to be encouraged on this thread, I'd say the lighting on the foreground could be much brighter, with nice reflections on the gun especially, and maybe on the dragon's scales too. I really like the style.

But then I'm just new, here as well as in the cg world at large... So I'll keep the advice to an unprofessionnal, friendly dimension:shrug: .

V_Shane
01-25-2005, 01:34 AM
Nice work! As criticism seems to be encouraged on this thread, I'd say the lighting on the foreground could be much brighter, with nice reflections on the gun especially, and maybe on the dragon's scales too. I really like the style.

But then I'm just new, here as well as in the cg world at large... So I'll keep the advice to an unprofessionnal, friendly dimension:shrug: .

All comments are certainly welcomed WR. I got alot more comments here than in the finished section (0). I just may only start posting here, at least the thread can come back to life if someone posts. Unlike the Finish thread where everything is railroaded through, jsut so ahppens the day I posted 8 other people did too and my art was off the front page in like 1/2 a day! LOL, lots of artists on CGTalk.

Ognus
01-25-2005, 02:04 AM
I really enjoy that piece. Id like to see more details on the guns, especially the one the dragon is holding.
Too bad you dont got any more time to work on it.
Keep up the good work. Hope you keep showing your stuff.

The armor is fantastic.

What do you think you could have done better?
Thats the best question to ponder over a finished piece. Gives birth to new ones sometimes.

White Rabbit
01-27-2005, 08:18 PM
Thanks!

Indeed, keep 'em coming, I think it could turn out really good eventually.

Gusgus
01-28-2005, 07:42 AM
Looks really good so far man. My only crit would be more expression in the face. mabe agitated. or mildly purturbed. If you do that along with the Background and foreground contrasts reccommended by Ognus (bright bg with a dark foreground) would give the piece a really good sense of tension and it would be a great composition.

V_Shane
01-29-2005, 06:17 PM
Thanks for the input! You may want to go back to the first page as I edited the other preliminary images out so that the pages aren't a huge download since its finished. Thanks for stopping by, if you get the chance, visit my "Archer Pond" thread and give a few crits there as well (if you aready haven't) :thumbsup:

White Rabbit
02-08-2005, 09:58 PM
MAN! it looks much better! the dragon could still be shinier for my taste, and the gun a bit more metallic...

but waw! anyway :)

V_Shane
02-09-2005, 01:49 AM
Can you say L A Z Y- N E S S. lol :scream: Its just one of those projects I lost steam on, I just have alot going on right now, projects due every single week this month. Its tiresome, but I will hopefully revisit this piece to tidy it up in a month or so. I still haven't had the chance to work on the POND piece.

Archer Pond WIP (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=204925)

White Rabbit
02-09-2005, 02:38 AM
Hey, that lass looks like she get some attention once achieved :) I'll keep an eye open for your work Shaney ;)

What programs did you use? It got deleted along with the first versions, and my memory isn't what it was... (huhuu)

V_Shane
02-09-2005, 10:17 PM
That would be Painter 8. I've tried using Painter 9, but its sooo buggy I went back to 8.

White Rabbit
02-09-2005, 11:15 PM
aweee, dang-a-dung, all I get with a wacom are eery-looking smileys... I was kind of hoping you'd done it on paper and scanned it... Oh well, I'll get there :scream:

:thumbsup: Thumbs up even more then ;)

CGTalk Moderation
02-10-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.