PDA

View Full Version : showreel 2005

toto poto
01-14-2005, 03:46 AM
hi all,
yes its time. studies will end soon, and although working on a showreel is fun, i feel like i am finally ready to send my demoreel away:). well, someday must be the time to send something somewhere, so i decided to send it soon. but i wanted to show my "final" reel here again first, to hear some more opinions. ok, so your comments and critics are highly appreciated. :)
regards
thorben

the reel (5,4mb): http://www.manigma.de/movies/showreel2005_TK.mov

http://www.manigma.de/movies/showreel2005.gif

Sjoerd
01-14-2005, 02:56 PM
Its looking pretty good, thats a nice showreeel to have.

Saw you used some idea's from mk12... very good studio...

mrorstad
01-14-2005, 03:12 PM
I've seen some of your work before as I can recall, and I can't find anything to complain about this, it's awesome. The material is great and you have made the showreel just as it's supossed to be - short, fast and as much work as possible in that time!

dahiya
01-14-2005, 07:56 PM
guess you're out of bandwidth. :sad:...or im not meant to see it.

toto poto
01-14-2005, 08:01 PM
hi
actually i am currently reworking some things. i hope i will be able to post an update this night:)
regards
thorben

Tsahi
01-14-2005, 09:09 PM
i hope so too, after such a review i wanna see it.

toto poto
01-17-2005, 12:09 AM
hi all

sorry for the delay. i have put my showreel back online with some new stuff on it. would be nice to hear what you think of it:)

http://www.manigma.de/movies/showreel2005_TK.mov

regards
thorben

ps: please be honest, it is easier to change stuff now than after i send it...:)

toto poto
01-17-2005, 08:24 PM
hm, nobody ? :shrug: hey, come on! is it so bad ? or good ? hard to say ? i have been looking at the reel too often to be able to tell if the changes made it any better...so any comments are highly appreciated. if it is bad, please tell me. i won´t chase you :)
regards
thorben

dahiya
01-17-2005, 09:15 PM
its a tidy showreel. quick, short, impressive and puts your skills first without any excesses. its really refreshing to see a showreel thats 65 seconds long and throws a few punches. :D

first, not for the sake of a crit, but can you do without the 'fly' bit? i know it shows off your style very well, so maybe you want to keep it, but perhaps a little texture depth would make it a little less repetitive visually?

second, i really liked your architectural render at the end. could that be a shade longer? and maybe if you have something thats of similar quality, you could add some more.

third, i also like the way you've broken the pace with a few stills. i dont know how much of that was intentional, but a freeze mid-action is a great way to show off your design [ID] and texturing skills.

fourth, i can appreciate the sound sync and related pains you've gone thru, but i am just not a fan of house and that makes me cringe most of the times. its pacey, thats good, and i dont have an option for you here, so maybe im just ranting, but what were the other music options you played with before you decided on this?
is the music by Clint Mansell?

cheers

toto poto
01-18-2005, 12:35 AM
hi dahiya
thanks alot for your brief reply:)

first, not for the sake of a crit, but can you do without the 'fly' bit? i know it shows off your style very well, so maybe you want to keep it, but perhaps a little texture depth would make it a little less repetitive visually?

the fly bit ? do you mean the roach part at the end ?

second, i really liked your architectural render at the end. could that be a shade longer? and maybe if you have something thats of similar quality, you could add some more.

nice you wanted to see more:) unfortunatly i don´t have more architecture stuff. during the last time i wanted to go more into character-animation. but maybe i could make the part a bit longer.

third, i also like the way you've broken the pace with a few stills. i dont know how much of that was intentional, but a freeze mid-action is a great way to show off your design [ID] and texturing skills.

i am quite uncertain about the editing as i don´t see it as my big strength. thats one reason i posted it here. i hope the reel has enough flow and the different parts don´t "kill" each other.

fourth, i can appreciate the sound sync and related pains you've gone thru, but i am just not a fan of house and that makes me cringe most of the times. its pacey, thats good, and i dont have an option for you here, so maybe im just ranting, but what were the other music options you played with before you decided on this?
is the music by Clint Mansell?

yes, its clint mansell:) its from the pi soundtrack (great movie). i tried about 600 different tracks on the reel and also tried to do my own sound. i had another track that fitted pretty good, but it was quite slow and took some energie out of the reel. at the end i felt like this
mansell track was most adequate. it is fast but not too hard drum and bass with a soft line.
yes, it is quite hard to figure out the right sound. using some techno is surely the easiest and maybe also most boring way to add some tempo and i know some reels e.g.MK12 with very good sound thats not necessarily electronic, but the other stuff i tried just didn´t really work for my reel...but if you have any idea:)...

regards
thorben

p.s. sorry for bumping earlier...

dahiya
01-18-2005, 07:43 AM
yes, i meant the 'roach' sequence in the end. dunno when cynicism took over. :D

editing, like all skills will only get better with more practice, so keep at it. you have a good showreel and i think with a few more nips & tucks you'll have a killer reel on you.

let me think if i can find you an alternative for the sound track. for your next reel.
cheers

toto poto
01-18-2005, 07:09 PM
yes, i meant the 'roach' sequence in the end. dunno when cynicism took over.

ah, ok:) i thought maybe you meant there was too much flying camera action/flying logo action in the reel. sorry for the misunderstanding. i´ll think about this sequence. i have a slight different version without the closeup. maybe it fits better. i guess i maybe have to work on some other parts, too (?) (thanks alot to all who answered so far:))
cheers
thorben

Core|x
01-19-2005, 08:08 PM
WOW...great demoreal!! fantastic!

PS: Weiter so....schöne Grüsse aus Düsseldorf ;)

ken20banks
01-20-2005, 06:26 AM
Really cool! The music is totally appropriate to the action. Nice choice.

The whole thing seems really well put together, in terms of timing, editing choices, etc. The way a couple of the scenes are gradually continued through the reel is nice. I really like the cell shaded scene... and the timing on the freezeframe in relation to the music is great. http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

mattmos
01-20-2005, 07:05 PM
That's a very decent showreel, especially from a student. I have to admit I didn't really rate the first couple of shots, and felt the cut from toon rendered people flying over your name to the car in tunnel sequence jarred a bit.

One thing I would say is that I don't really get a feeling of which area of cg you'd like to get into? Motion graphics, Arch Vis, Animation? If you are looking for generalist positions then this is a great reel, shows you have a wide range of skills.

The human motion animations are very well done, and the render quality of the arch vis and cars was very nice also.

I watched the whole thing without sound, so that may have affected the way I read cuts/action, but I highly recommend you do the same and see if you still like your editing choices, as a lot of companies will do the same.

God luck with the job hunt :)

Matt

toto poto
01-20-2005, 09:38 PM
hi
thanks alot again for sharing your opinions:) i am currently working on the editing and maybe doing some new animations for the reel to fill some parts which i still think that they kind of miss something. i have been more into character-animation lately, but i like to do other things, too, so i tried to show a variety of skills on the reel. i hope that won´t be a bad decision, as most reels that i see are much more specialized:hmm:
regards
thorben

twisztdauthority
01-20-2005, 11:16 PM
stunning work, i love he style. wish i could do that type of work some day!

toto poto
01-29-2005, 02:03 PM
hi all
ok, i hope somebody is still reading this;) i did some bigger rework on the reel, added some stuff and removed some other. i hope this will be the final one. comments are very welcome as always:)
regards
thorben

http://www.manigma.de/movies/showreel2005_TK.mov

dahiya
01-29-2005, 03:00 PM
ok, you've cracked it this time!!

there's excellent continuity, you're showcasing your best work, its tight and doesnt digress AND its the perfect lenght. a vast improvement from the last reel IMHO.

nuff gushing. go get that job!! :D

cheers

Franz
01-30-2005, 12:14 AM
Gruß nach Hamburg, nettes Reel!

jemf
01-30-2005, 12:50 AM
Very unique and exciting style you've got! Keep up the good work:)

steffenoid
01-30-2005, 01:17 AM
really great job-no crits.

toto poto
01-30-2005, 01:51 PM
hi
thanks alot for your feedback:) i have been working on the reel for quite some time now and it becomes pretty hard sometimes for me to judge if changes make it better or not
(i bet that is something you all know). but cg-talk is great. your feedback really helps me to improve things. i am feeling that i am learning alot through this forum.
regards
thorben

CGTalk Moderation
01-30-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.