PDA

View Full Version : Saving weights

Itchyninja
01-13-2005, 11:21 PM
Hey, I made a big mistake. I've just finished weighting my character and realised that I hadn't finished modeling a quite important part. I need to detatch the skeleton, change the geometry and bind it again. The problem is that I will lose all the weighting that i've done. I've tried using the export weight maps tool then importing them but it doesn't seem to work. Does anyone know any way at all that i could not lose my weights? any help would be soooooo appreciated.

Thanks.

Arcon
01-14-2005, 08:30 PM
i had this problem on my current character but there is a way: first of all forget maya's export/import weight maps. it requires well optimised and identical UVs on both meshes but even then on a high rez character would create hundreds of MB of image files.

i would import your new mesh into your rig scene, and bind it to the rig (so now you have two meshes on the same rig). use maya's "copy weights" to transfer weights to the new skin. it should pretty much make an exact copy, but there is a slight chance some joints might have glitches, for me this happened only at the pelvis. easy to correct by using a script that transfers weight based on world vertex space, not local/UVs. i used aeSkinWeightTransfer1.0 (available on highend3d.com) and it worked perfectly.

]-UnderTOW-[
01-14-2005, 09:10 PM
Geez, i wish Alias would implement propper skinning tools! It's so annoying to see even 3ds max get further ahead in skinning than Maya! :banghead: All Maya has is Atrisan powered paintweights (which seem to be screwed up in Maya 6 and don't round off correctly), while in max you can very easily made changes to the mesh under the skin (as long as you don't change the vertex order) and export/import skin weighting via a text file (weight maps are the most moronic idea i've ever heard of).

jdexforwords
01-14-2005, 09:32 PM
Why don't you try "Delete Non Skin History" if you are using Maya 6? It works pretty good for me.

Aachen
01-14-2005, 09:56 PM
If you have an earier version saved thats weighted, you can copy skin weights, most of the time it works pretty well.

Hope it helps.

JM

Arcon
01-14-2005, 10:03 PM
-UnderTOW-[']Geez, i wish Alias would implement propper skinning tools! It's so annoying to see even 3ds max get further ahead in skinning than Maya! :banghead: All Maya has is Atrisan powered paintweights (which seem to be screwed up in Maya 6 and don't round off correctly), while in max you can very easily made changes to the mesh under the skin (as long as you don't change the vertex order) and export/import skin weighting via a text file (weight maps are the most moronic idea i've ever heard of).

yep - weight maps blow. maya weakness with its slow development is a tricky one, its really a studio-focused application and has many shortfalls for non-programmers. the app was so well written initially to be extendable with mel, that alias is pretty slack in implimenting new features and fixing workflow issues, when they know all the TDs out there have their own scripts to workaround the problems.

having seen houdini and XSI, i still reckon the maya interface kicks their asses :) i havn't used max since version 2 but i still hear building quality custom rigs in max is a nightmare.

seven6ty
01-14-2005, 10:38 PM
Actually I'm beginning to find the usefullness of the Maya bitmap weight exports sometimes. It's useful, I've found, for when you have something bound and weighted, but then you need to go back and delete verts and so on... You can do that and then re-import the skin weight maps and voila, all skinned up and ready to go, which isn't possible with the text based maps, so I've found both have their usefulness. Although I agree, the text based approach is much more useful in general.

And yeah, I haven't used Max since ver 4, but I have begun to see a few good looking rigs around the forums here, that ogre one and a decent bone driven face set up from people on here.

dantea
01-15-2005, 02:20 AM
I know this doesn't help but in Houdini, you could just use AttribTransfer to transfer all the weight information from the old model to the new one. It will only approximate the weighting information for the points that didn't exist in the old model or have moved in the new model but everything else will keep. It also incidentally works with uv's as well so that if you change your model, you also get to keep your texturing work.

]-UnderTOW-[
01-15-2005, 02:43 AM
You can do that and then re-import the skin weight maps and voila, all skinned up and ready to go, which isn't possible with the text based maps

Acctually, if it's exported on vertex global position and not vertex number, then it can work fine. You'd also have a distance indicator incase you've moved some verts.
After i'm done with my Rig Guide script (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=201983), i'm gonna try and do some skin tools (features in mind: a slider than you can interact with to change the weighting and see the effect on the selected verts as you interact with the slider, with an option for absolute or relative (i've noticed the component editor's slider but not sure how it's supposed to work). A button to round off the weighting to a specified decimal place (handy for the paint weights problem of leaving 0.005 weigh on bones somtimes). And of course save weights to text file based off of either vertex number or global position).

seven6ty
01-15-2005, 04:05 AM
Yeahhh, well I kinda meant moving verts around with the "and so on" part, so that wouldn't be quit effective either, as I usually tend to move them around after deleting some to help even out the detail.

Noodlz
03-30-2005, 12:02 PM
http://www.macaronikazoo.com/mel/

anyone tried the zooweightsave mel script from this site? it could solve the problem

macaroniKazoo
03-30-2005, 08:54 PM
the zooWeightSave (http://www.macaronikazoo.com/mel/download/zooWeightSave.rar) script will do exactly that. it'll save the skin weights into your mesh, let you make mesh modifications, delete history, and with the click of a button, restore skin weights again.

CGTalk Moderation
03-30-2005, 08:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.