PDA

View Full Version : heavy metal

Rudeone
01-13-2005, 11:41 PM
As a friend and I were brainstorming about a game concept for a school project I suddenly got this image in my head of a cute girl on a heavy bike.
I still don't know the story behind her but I will come up with something as I proceed in colouring the artwork.
Mechanical stuff isn't really my cup of tea so the mechanical parts of the bike probably don't make sense but hey as long as it looks good right...I had some ref pics while drawing it though.
When I finish the piece I want to model her (and the bike) in 3d.
Anyways crits and comments are most welcom, sugestions for the story of the girl and background of the piece also, thanx.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/rudeone/heavymetalgrained2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/rudeone/Aimeeonbike5.jpg

Eternally Mine
01-14-2005, 06:33 AM
I would love to view your art but all I am seeing is an X in a box?

Rudeone
01-14-2005, 11:02 AM
weird!, it should be there now

KazuyaMochu
01-14-2005, 11:48 AM
Copy the link to the adressbar and it will work.
IMG tags don't work though

it's cool, but since you got the katana, maybe you could add some decorations to the clothing, to give it a more tradicional look. the bike looks nice but you gotta retouch the wheels :D

take care,

Kazuya Mochu

Rudeone
01-14-2005, 01:47 PM
Thanx Kazuya,
I could try giving her more decorations but my first intend was to give her a simple casual look:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/rudeone/Aimeecolour2.jpg

The reason I gave her a katana is that we want to give all characters mellee weapons and I'm in love with japanese swords, but yeah I will put in some japanese decorations for comparisson.
About the wheels, yeah I noticed, will work on it, thanx :)

Btw cool stuff you got there and that tutorial, wow looks really helpfull, I defenitly will use it on my next model.

you take care to

Rudeone
01-17-2005, 04:02 PM
Made some adjustments on the proportions of the bike and the upper body of the girl, i also changed the pose of the leg cause the first one looked way to long to me (the bike is slightly leaning to the left so she could never touch the ground with her right leg the way she does i gues)
I know the wheels still need retouching and the perspective of the rear of the bike is slightly of, but i need ur opinions, does it look better than the first? please crit, thanx.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/rudeone/heavymetal2.jpg

Rudeone
01-18-2005, 01:21 AM
Cleaned up the drawing, changed some of the girls clothing (not really tradicional japanese though, but slightly inspired by Kaneda from Akira, thoughed it would give her a more biker look) and startid some painting. I just wanted to show my progress, c&c still very welcom.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/rudeone/heavymetal4kopie.jpg

Rudeone
01-18-2005, 10:53 PM
Here is my latest update, made some great progress today.
Hair and chest area still need painting, but the face is pretty much done.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/rudeone/heavymetal6kopie.jpg

niva
01-19-2005, 12:20 AM
None of your images are showing up, oddly enough they do exist on the other server...

Get another host :)

Rudeone
01-19-2005, 12:56 AM
How about now?, noticed that some people were using photobucket.com so i did to, if somebody's watching this thread and the images don't show up please let me know

ditchman
01-20-2005, 04:42 PM
i can see it, looks good. like the grainy look. as for the eye, get your line tool an draw a line from the left corner of the mouth to the right corner, left nostril to right nostril, then the eyes, the lines aren't really matching up. it looks good that way to me, but maybe that's what's bothering you?

Rudeone
01-20-2005, 06:17 PM
thanx for your reply ditchman :)

You're probably right about the eye, thanx for the tip, but I think i'll leave it the way it is because when I look at it in the whole picture zoomed out and probably about the sice it's gonna be eventualy, it doesn't seem to be that big of a deal anymore (I gues you can't even see it that way).

about this update: I moved her arm slightly towards the right because it looked to long to me. I think I'm gonna change the position of the chest a little because I think her body looks unaturally twisted, maybe cover up her cleavage with a t-shirt, what do you guys think?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/rudeone/heavymetal7kopie.jpg

Rudeone
01-21-2005, 06:45 PM
Covered up the cleavage with a t-shirt, looks cooler doesn't it?
I'm still not sure about the way her upper body is turned, I tried the pose myself and I concluded that it is possible, but it's not really a great feeling in your spine and muscles (my back still hurts...ouch!).
Anyway, her pose, does it look completly unnatural to you at first glance?, is it really noticeble?, does it really matter?
Awaiting some crit I could use, thanx

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/rudeone/heavymetal9copy.jpg

Walrusmann
01-21-2005, 10:02 PM
great character and position on the bike very dynamic good job

only crit is that her butt seems to squashed on the seat maybe make it jus a touch bigger not gheto or anything but it might make the position less akward

KevinJM
01-22-2005, 02:04 AM
Very nice painting done on that character mate.I love the colors a lot.I however think that you should avoid trying too many colors on it and try to review the shadows.The green is a bit distracting though.I`m looking forward to see the complete painting of this character.Keep it up dude.:thumbsup:

Rudeone
01-22-2005, 03:51 PM
@ wallrusmann: thanx for your comment man, good point on the butt, maybe that will work, thanx :)

@ dean080580: thanx for the kind words man, about the colours: yeah I was trying something new with colours you wouldn't really expect in a skin like red and green, by changing the opacity it blended in quite nice I think and that sort of got me caried away a bit.
The green in the neck (asuming you mean that) I will change, the neck isn't finished yet and every single colour I put in it's own layer so that shouldn't be a problem, same as for the shadow :)

Thanx again guys, this is something I could use before proceeding

Triarii
01-23-2005, 09:52 PM
my only problem is the pose, the whole top half looks like it's at a complete 90 degrees to the bottom, as though the spine has completely detached from the bottom.

To turn around that much and still be competant with aim, you'd have to move your ass, legs aswell to get a good pose.

If that was sorted out it'd look fantastic.

Rudeone
01-24-2005, 02:18 PM
Thanx Triarii, you make a good point there, but the pose is actually possible, tried it myself and had my friends do it aswell, although it isn't really a great feeling in your back.
My intend was to make it look like she stopped the bike, grabbed her gun and turned around to shoot, as a quick event, her aim isn't that important.
I see what you mean though, her spine doesn't look connected to her lower body, but only her chest is turned meaning that you are not looking at her belly, but the lower back and waist, maybe it would work if I detailed it more by painting more folds in her t-shirt.

I tried to change the pose of the leg, but I couldn't get it right, so for now I'm sticking with this pose and try to make it look more natural + I wanted to add a little sexyness in it by showing her cute butt (what can I say, I'm a guy :D).

Anyway thanx for your comment and crit, I hope, when I get it right you still think it's fantastic :)

Rudeone
01-24-2005, 10:33 PM
This is driving me nuts! I added some xtra folds in the t-shirt to make it seem only her chest is turning, began painting the legs and when I look at it the pose looks allright, but than I look at it again it seems all wrong, look at it again and looks ok, look at it again...etc.
Need some fresh eyes one this one please

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/rudeone/heavymetal11kopie.jpg

elmasfeo
01-24-2005, 10:57 PM
mm...it looks too twisted for me, I trust you when you say it's not impossible, but it continues being unnatural... I think that you could move forward the right "wing" of the jacket (the one that is at the left of the image), I mean, keeping it at her side and not at her back, IMO that's the main reason that the top and bottom halves look detached...

other than that, good job on the face, nice drawing! :thumbsup:

KevinJM
01-24-2005, 11:55 PM
mm...it looks too twisted for me, I trust you when you say it's not impossible, but it continues being unnatural... I think that you could move forward the right "wing" of the jacket (the one that is at the left of the image), I mean, keeping it at her side and not at her back, IMO that's the main reason that the top and bottom halves look detached...

other than that, good job on the face, nice drawing! :thumbsup:

Hmmmm i agree with you mate. Me too say great job there mate.:thumbsup:

KevinJM
01-25-2005, 01:07 AM
Forgot to tell you that i like the painting on the t-shirt:thumbsup: . Waiting for more update mate.:bounce:

Rudeone
01-25-2005, 01:58 AM
thanx elmasfeo, that could work, defenitly gonna try it, it crossed my mind that something about the jacket made it look weird, when I made the jacket layer invisible it looked better to me, also made her figure look nicer...hmmm...maybe get rid of the jacket.

thanx dean080580, that print on the t-shirt is a graffitytag I used to write back in the day when I painted walls (wasn't really good at it though, I never really masterd the spraycan technique, but it was fun).
Btw checked out your Spidey, man you really need to get that comic going, you defenitly got the skill.
Wanted to ask you: got some favorite comicartists? I'm thinking a Greg Capullo or maybe a Joe Madureira

Rudeone
01-26-2005, 12:58 AM
Here's my latest update:

Made her jacket smaller, I think it looks better this way, also it shows more of her waist, making it a little more sexy and her pose less ahkward I think.
I added the seam (this the correct word for it?) of the t-shirt, I think she turning around looks more natural thanx to that.
Started painting the sword, instead of a katana I changed it into a smaller sword a wakizachi, cause I figured, since the sword is strapped to her belt above her butt, it would almost be impossible to draw a longer sword like a katana.
I also got an idea to let her draw the sword with her leftarm, what do you guys think?, would that be cool?
Anyway her it is:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/rudeone/heavymetal12kopie.jpg

Triarii
01-26-2005, 02:21 AM
It'd make more sense to use the left hand seen as though the clutch is operated with that hand, who would let go of the accelerator when your trying to get away huh?

The smaller jacket makes it look way better, makes the pose a little less...strained. But there is one question i have, whats the belt bellow her boobs for??

Rudeone
01-26-2005, 03:07 AM
Well Triarii, that was my first intend, but there are 2 problems: she's sitting to straight up so her arm isn't long enough to reach the handle and the acceleration of the bike is always on the right (according to some of my friends, who have a lot of knowledge of cars and bikes, acceleration on the left is only seen on funbikes).
She's not trying to get away, she's the type of girl who doesn't run but will wait for her persuers to catch up, just to slice their heads of.

That belt under her boobs is part of the gunholster, the holster itself I haven't worked on yet.

Thanx for your comment

Tace
01-26-2005, 04:12 AM
I like where you are going with this.

Things that are bothering me:

The angle of her breasts does not match the angle of her shoulders. I am not flexible enough to attempt the same pose but wouldn't they be at the same angle? Her ear appears to be too large and really sticking out from her head. The gun belt appears to be too flat compared to her torso. The hair appears too static. I see this as the moment she turns quickly around and feel her hair should be moving forward in reaction to her quick twist and fire.

Things I like:
The t-shirt is great. It is so much better than the earlier cleavage shot. Good attention to the wrinkles and folds. The jacket is really coming together. I actually like the red and greens in her skin.

I look forward to the update.

Rudeone
01-26-2005, 12:16 PM
Thanx Tace for making those pointers, I gues you're right about the breasts, since her rightarm is moving up I gues her rightbreast should move up with it, didn't realise that till you pointed it out...hmmm I will see to it if I can change that.

About the ear: yes it's sticking out a little, but that don't really bothers me, I kinda like it that way, but I will work on it a little to see if it looks better.

About the belt: I personally don't really see anything wrong with it, but than again it isn't really finished yet, maybe when the holster is attached it looks better.

About the hair: You're absolutly right, I will try to make it less static, but...if she turns her head quickly wouldn't that mean the hair should move the opposite way, well I gues when she comes to the point when she stops, her hair would swing forward...need to find someone with a similar haircut...

Tace
01-26-2005, 04:18 PM
I am glad you didn't take my criticisms as an attack :) Like I said, I like where you are going with this.

Good point about the hair movement. My hair is longer than your woman's, but when I whip my head around, the hair initially appears remain in place then follows the motion of my head. It's that "an object at rest remains at rest, an object in motion remains in motion" inertia thing.

About the belt, it's more of a shading issue than the shape of the belt. I feel it needs darker shading to show it curving away from the viewer.

Falcorr
01-26-2005, 04:36 PM
Looks good, but unless she is made from rubber for dirty old men. Id make her less bendy.

Here is my solution for you :)

Since you already have the face done, which by the way looked great at the close up.
So move her right butt cheek behind on the bike. Hide the left butt cheek totally. That will make her look like she has bended from the waist area. Removing the contortion.

Also move her left shoulder. Her left. Behind her and make it less visual.

If its possible at all try to move her face and chin slightly towards the viewer.

Bet it will be great picture when finished. Good luck! :thumbsup:

NOOB!
01-26-2005, 04:40 PM
Looks good, but unless she is made from rubber for dirty old men. Id make her less bendy.

Here is my solution for you :)

Since you already have the face done, which by the way looked great at the close up.
So move her right butt cheek behind on the bike. Hide the left butt cheek totally. That will make her look like she has bended from the waist area. Removing the contortion.

Also move her left shoulder. Her left. Behind her and make it less visual.

If its possible at all try to move her face and chin slightly towards the viewer.

Bet it will be great picture when finished. Good luck! :thumbsup:

heh was just goin to suggest the exact same thing.

Rudeone
01-26-2005, 05:51 PM
@ Tace: I'm not taking criticism as an attack, if I did I wouldn't post here, as long as people don't be rude or completly trying to knock me down, I'm apreciating every c&c I get.

Thanx for checking the movement hair makes when you whip your head around, I was about to go look for girls and guys with long hair, wouldn't that sound stupid? some guy asking: 'excuse me, could you whip your hair around?', 'what!? you get of on that or something, get outha my face you perv!'.

@ Falcor & NOOB!: hehe, 'she's made of rubber for dirty old men', don't really understand what these old men have to do with it, well I can imagine something :D, but that phrase had me laughing for quite a while.

About the pose: that would work I gues, than I have to change the ref drawing, I tried to draw her leg more facing the viewer, hiding her butt, but I just couldn't get it right, but I will try your sugestion cause most crit I get is about the pose, I have to make it look right.

I allready removed the shoulder :), I was thinking to let her grab for her sword, arm behind her back, what do you guys think?

Unfortunally I've reached the point I can't change anything anymore about the shape of the face, only add stuff like maybe freckles or something.

Thanx for the kind words and usefull criticism y'all

-(MEDooSA)-
01-26-2005, 08:22 PM
Well, what would u think of an shadowrun like atmosphere, an dead-end world with nothing left to loose but one owns life. The girl seems to going to be some kind of Lara Croft/Catwoman. A supergirl with the tendence to act like a boy. She never had no (love-)feelings to anyone and she never will. The "unreachable Goddes"-Character. Perhaps she has something to revenge or anything like that. And perhaps u could give her some cybernetic. Something like a musclebooster could be an extreme surprise to an enemy. Something like that =)

Well, anyhow, good work, keep it up!

-(MEDooSA)-

Falcorr
01-26-2005, 08:57 PM
Its really up to you test out what works in the pic.

I have idea if you want the girl to be accelerating with her right hand.. Just flip the pic. and Yeeehaa :thumbsup: There you have it.

Rudeone
01-26-2005, 10:23 PM
@-(MEDooSA)-: thanx man, I really like that!, I will use it.
Maybe it could be a city where everybody is carrying weapons, including children and seniors (if they managed to survive that long).
The girl has these complete over the top moves thanx to cybernetic implants, or maybe she could be a complete cyborg (like major Motoko Kusanagi from Ghost in the shell).
Thanx man you just triggered my imagination.

If somebody has anything interesting they want to add, please do.
Ow and does anybody have a suggestion for a name? I want to give her kind of a 'normal' name, not like Xena, Zelda or Tifa, more like Anna or something, so if you're watching and a name just pops up, please let me know.

@ Falcor : jeez man, what an idiot am I, can't believe I didn't think of that.
Well I read your reply and offcourse I checked it right away, it surprised me that all of a sudden her body didn't look weird to me anymore, but...now her head looked totally weird, damn!
So I gues I'm sticking with the original.

-(MEDooSA)-
01-27-2005, 10:28 PM
She looks a little bit russian i would say...
(Don't ask me why, its just a feeling)

http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Track/7635/names.html

What about Yelizaveta (Liza) Mantjarow?

She could be half machine half human, a complete robot or 'just' a human with an exosceleton. Perhaps she's one of the endless experiments of some secret organisation and wants to revenge. Otherwise she could be a hit(wo)man paid by a giant firm. Maybe something really terrible happened in her past and some event triggered her to run wild.

Sorry for my bad english =]

-(MEDooSA)-

Rudeone
01-27-2005, 11:45 PM
thanx -(MEDooSA)-, Her being russian or having a russian name didn't even cross my mind, at first I was thinking of a western name like Lisa, Anna or Josie or something, but have to admit, I kinda like that name, especially the last name, maybe just call her Yeli as in short for Yelizaveta, I'll write it down, thanx.

As for the game we're planning to make, well we're not capable of making a complete game because it's a 2 man schoolproject at the time (just concept, concept art and 3d models of playable characters), I can tell you a little of what we want to do.
It's gonna be a RPG that is gonna be really dark and is the opposite of the traditional japanese RPG cliches (you know, little boy who happens to be the chosen hero, innocent princess with magical powers etc.)

We have kind of a concept about the story, something I'm not allowed to tell yet, but it will have elements like japanese horror (think the ring) and American gangstermovies.
Yeli however, I didn't have a background story for her yet, the image just popped in my mind and I felt to work it out and make her one of the leading characters, I knew I was gonna make her kind of a mysterious character with extreme moves, so the things you mention will fit her perfectly, thanx for that, It's things like that I can really use.

More ideas are still very apreciated

KevinJM
01-28-2005, 02:07 AM
Hmmm apparently your image is getting better and better dude.:buttrock: You are the type of artist i like as you always takes into consideration all the comments and critics that is being given to you in a very artistic and positive approach.:wise: I have been able to be through some of your works here on the forum and i`ve came to the conclusion that you are very good at female characters.I really like the progress that is being shown in every post of yours.
As for your last post i would suggest trying Falcor`s advice. Anyway its a pretty good job you`ve got there mate.Keep it up i`m always here to follow all your works.
Cheers:thumbsup:

-(MEDooSA)-
01-28-2005, 01:56 PM
I can just give u one hint:

When you write the story, first write it all logical and step by step down. Then you cut it into little pieces and 'feed' the reader with one piece after another. This makes sure u have less logical mistakes in your storyline and you have a better control over what the reader knows and what not.

Always glad to help =)

Rudeone
01-28-2005, 02:58 PM
@ dean080580 : Thanx man, yeah most of my characters are female, I gues because first of all I love the beauty of women and I like female characters with strong personalities and physical strenght (I mean things like really fast, flexible and extreme over the top fighting skills, like the assassins in 'Kill Bill' or 'Trinity' and 'niobi' from 'the matrix'), not the 'girly' girl characters, I always try to avoid portaying girls as 'sexobjects', although I always try to make em cute/sexy.

As for the progress in this piece, I gues I'm taking Falcor's advice, but I'm having a bit of trouble with her leg, I just can't make it look right, I was even concidering making her stand in front of the bike, but I gues that would change the whole idea of the image.

Anyway, thanx buddy for the kind words, I really appreciate it

@ -(MEDooSA)- : Thanx man, you really give good advice

BTW, here's an update: made her left buttcheeck smaller, but I will make a lot of changes in her leg I gues, cause this isn't working, trying Falcor's advice, but didn't succeed in it yet.
I also made the bike a little smaller cause her leftleg wasn't long enough to touch the ground, started painting the bike.
I put the t-shirt print in another angle to make it look like her rightbreast is moving up along with her arm, does this look better Tace?
Ow and I didn't paint the hairmovement yet, but don't worry I will get to that :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/rudeone/heavymetal13kopie.jpg

Tace
01-30-2005, 05:57 AM
Still liking it. The breast's movement is an improvement. No criticisms that have not already been made. Look forward to the update.

Cadron
01-30-2005, 01:17 PM
Firstly nice work dude!

Secondly - what TRACE wentioned abuot the belt wasa good point. I was looking at it (your pic) and something was not working for me and after i read what trace said about the belt it all clicked - the fact that the belt is so highlighted really brings it to the foreground so it looks close. I am imagining that if it was darker as trace suggests it would appear closer to her body - this would aid the effect that the belt is below and under the breasts and it would work much more naturally.

I realy like where you are going with this image - keep up the update!

Originally Posted by Falcor_
Since you already have the face done, which by the way looked great at the close up. So move her right butt cheek behind on the bike. Hide the left butt cheek totally. That will make her look like she has bended from the waist area. Removing the contortion.

This was another thing htat i was going to mention but it has already been said. However i thought i would test it out. sitting in my chair right now i can turn my upper body 90degrees to the computer monitor and look behind me - it is not as strange as it looks... I think that you have captured exactly what happens (the way you ahve painted the wrinkles in the lower torso)

Excellent work once again - and all the best

Regards - Cade

joeydee
01-30-2005, 08:39 PM
nice work. Everybody is talking about the character, but don't forget the bike at last. Nice detail work there yet, I like it a lot. But you should pay attention to the exhaust, the left one seems to be bent a lot. And the red disk (rim?) - shouldn't it be inside the tire, regarding your first concept? If so, move it to the left (front wheel too): you would see more black space at the right than at the left of the disk. I don't know what it will be in your final, so I might be wrong there :)
(hope you understand my bad english - some words I still have to look up in an online dictionary :D)

Rudeone
01-31-2005, 04:11 PM
@ Tace: Thanx a lot, I think it looks better too, if you hadn't mentioned it I wouldn't have noticed.:thumbsup:

@ Cadron: Thanx for the kind words man.
I will work on the belt like you and Tace mentioned.
I'm glad you agree with me on the pose, you got it right, the image is a freeze-shot on the moment she turns and fires, thanx for checking out the pose yourself.

@ joeydee: again thanx for the words.
About the exhaust: well the way it bends is about right I think, I used a ref img of a Ducati and that bike had it's exhaustpipes like my drawing, but it still could use some work to make it look better I gues, one thing that bothers me though is the perspective of the bikes rear, it seems of.
About the red disc: Yeah I see what you mean and I can't blame you, but the disc isn't the rim itself, it's a wheelcap (don't know if that's the correct english word for it) that's sticking out, if you know 'Kaneda's bike' from the anime 'Akira' you probably know how it's gonna be eventually, although my bike is only getting one cap, I'm thinking about putting a sticker of a skull (or something like that) on it.
The frontwheel however doesn't get this cap, so you're right about that one.
Anyway thanx for looking at the bike, could use some crit on it
Btw I sometimes have to use an online dictionary myself ;)

Rudeone
02-01-2005, 12:41 AM
Here's a new update, before I start detailing I'd like to hear your opinions on the img so far, thanx

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/rudeone/heavymetal14.jpg

ditchman
02-01-2005, 10:54 AM
getting better all the time.
her foot is on tip toe this makes her look in a weak position, it goes againt the feeling of her 'holding her ground' that you were trying to evoke. her foot being planted solidly would give the impession of more power. maybe you could lower the seat?

Walrusmann
02-02-2005, 08:39 PM
its looking very good my friend cantwait to see the detail added to the bike and gun

maybe make the gun in mid fire making a detailed discharge fire coming out of the gun can make a your picture very dynamic

Rudeone
02-03-2005, 12:04 PM
@ ditchman: thanx man, yeah you're right about the foot, i'll try to make her stand solid on the ground, but I gues if I do, i'll have to scale the bike down a little, but then I can't place the other leg anywhere on the bike and have to move the leg up.
But hey, i'll try it and if it doesn't look right or I'm having a hard time doing so, i'll just leave it like it is, thanx for the pointer mate.

@ Walrusmann: thanx bro, yeah you got it, that's just what I wanted to do, it would give a very dynamic impression.
I will add some hair that whips forward to get the impression of a quick movement, a friend of mine suggested to make those hairparts kinda blurry to emphasise the movement, with the fireing gun it would look pretty cool I gues.

Walrusmann
02-03-2005, 11:03 PM
good idea about the hair whiping around the blured lines will definitly suggest movement

as long as youre using blured lines mabe blur some lines in the wrinkles of her waist to show her turning put together with the hair whip and maybe a motion blur on the gun [ just a little one] this will look very nice

Rudeone
02-04-2005, 03:41 PM
That's a good idea walrusmann, although I think the wrinkels shouldn't be blurred cause they don't move but are caused by the twist she makes, however her jacket could be blurred a little and ofcourse the gun like you said could be blurred aswell.

Here's another update, I got her leftfoot standing solid on the ground, it was easier than I thought because I discovered that her leftleg was to short, so I didn't have to change the bike, I'm not really happy about the shape of the foot though, but I will get to that later.
Started out some detailing on the bike aswell.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/rudeone/heavymetal14kopie.jpg

ditchman
02-04-2005, 04:43 PM
good, but now i think the right leg is too short (thigh)

Rudeone
02-09-2005, 01:02 AM
small update, haven't found time to do much, but I hope I can finish it for expose 3.
I tried to paint the hair moving forward as a result of her quick turn, does it look dynamic?
I also made her ear smaller and less sticking out.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/rudeone/heavymetal17.jpg

lulaassassina
02-09-2005, 01:41 AM
Well, the only problem I can see here is the torsion (does this word exist? :surprised).I mean, looking into the lower abdomen, shouldn't the hips be turned the other way around, respecting the same line direction of the arms?

Just my 2 cents.
[]

Walrusmann
02-09-2005, 07:26 PM
good job on the hair it does have a very dynamic look to it no c&c right now but good job so far keep it up

Tace
02-10-2005, 05:20 AM
Good job on the hair movement. I am really looking forward to seeing more work on the bike.

Rudeone
02-11-2005, 01:16 AM
thanx for the comments y'all

This is the last update this week, more bike detail.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/rudeone/heavymetal18.jpg

Walrusmann
02-11-2005, 07:26 PM
detail on the bike is looking really good man im just wonderin if youre goin to put anymore detail on the sword at her hip i think putting runes or some thing on it would be cool

Rudeone
02-15-2005, 01:51 AM
Hi Walrusmann, yeah I'm gonna put more detail in the sword, haven't really decided what yet, but runes would be cool I gues, maybe some japanese signs and decorations.

Here's a new update: a friend of mine pointed out that bike seemed to be to small compared to the girl, didn't notice that at first but when I worked on it today I suddenly noticed it, so I scaled it bigger, also made some changes on the bikes bodywork and ofcourse added more detail. I expect to finish the girl and bike in a day or two, after that I will paint a suitible background, but I could use some suggestions for it, so ideas are most welcom.

edit: the image you're watching is cropped, there will be more room for a background

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/rudeone/heavymetal19.jpg

Tace
02-15-2005, 04:08 AM
I really like the front wheel and fork. (Is that what its called on a motorcycle?)

Something looks off on the lighting of your exhaust pipes. Are you keeping the light direction consistent? There's a shadow but I can't tell what is throwing it.

Rudeone
02-15-2005, 12:15 PM
Thanx Tace, I see what you mean, the pipe is supposed to be bend horisontaly to the front, the shadow is where the pipe bends from the back to the front, but maybe it looks a little of, I'll work on it more to get that effect.

Walrusmann
02-15-2005, 07:33 PM
hey ma great stuff the bike does look much better scaled larger like that i dont have any crits right now but i definitly will when you get more detail on the bike keep it up looks very ice so far

InAction
02-15-2005, 08:22 PM
Hey, I skipped the last two pages to start with, but anyway; what I wanted to say is that she looks like she's twisting in an unnatural way. Her hips and legs should atleast show some change when her body is almost 100< degrees backwards. :) It's hard to explain, just try to sit in that position. ;)

I hope I didn't tell you about something that someone already mentioned. :/

lulaassassina
02-15-2005, 11:50 PM
http://img47.exs.cx/img47/7093/heavymetal196vh.jpg

About the torsion subject, I've decided to show you graphically what I meant.
The red line is her spine, the yellow lines are shoulders' and hips lines and the blue lines are the corrected leg (althought its not perfect, you'll have to tweak that out).

Hope you understand, this way. Sorry for my poor english.
luv to you friend.

Rudeone
02-16-2005, 02:19 AM
Thanx guys, but it isn't an impossible pose, only her chest is twisted, about 45 degrees to her hips. InAction you suggest to try the position and I can tell you that I have, many times during the process, even had friends pose for me like that and we all managed to do it.
The girl isn't posing on the bike, it's an action shot, she just came to a stop, put her foot down, grabbed the gun from holster (holster still not painted), turned and fires, all in a matter of seconds, there's no time to go stand in a comfortable pose.
But since it (still) looks weird to you guys (I don't see it anymore), I gues I will have to work on it some more, thanx again.

new update: final detail phase, made her right thigh a little longer like Ditchman pointed out.
I gues I still need to work on her pose more, maybe I could bring the leftwing(?) of the jacket a little to the right, suggestions?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/rudeone/heavymetal20.jpg

InAction
02-16-2005, 07:20 AM
Okay, okay, didn't mean to go on the offence. Anyway, if it worked to pose for your friends, I guess it works. :)

A tip for the pic later is to add some effects that it's in the middle of the action? In the air and such? :)

Rudeone
02-16-2005, 12:31 PM
Hey InAction, I'm sorry I didn't mean to sound offended or anoyed, I just thought I might explain why she's in this pose and that it isn't as weird as it looks.
Before going to sleep last night I was thinking about ways how to make it look less weird and I figured I probably could change the position of her leg, maybe I could turn it more towards the viewer, show parts of the front of the leg instead of the back.

As for showing action, I was thinking about some blurry effects on her arm and gun, also showing the gun fireing.

KevinJM
02-16-2005, 03:00 PM
About the torsion subject, I've decided to show you graphically what I meant.
The red line is her spine, the yellow lines are shoulders' and hips lines and the blue lines are the corrected leg (althought its not perfect, you'll have to tweak that out).

Hope you understand, this way. Sorry for my poor english.
luv to you friend.

Mate you are a very good painter but i`m afraid lula is right. I find it a bit too twisted too. I know that actually it is a bit annoying and difficult to make changes but i just wanted to be honest.It is a beautiful model. THe only thing is that torsion. Anyway keep it up mate. And thx for posting on my last thread.:thumbsup:

Walrusmann
02-16-2005, 05:37 PM
hey man nice work on the gun detail

i guess im the only one who thinks the girls positon looks good it doesnt seem very unnatural only a little uncomfortable but that works to protray the sense that she is turning quickly and suggests movement i thnk her postion on the bike works really well man keep up the good work
ill be around

lulaassassina
02-16-2005, 07:15 PM
Walrusmann:
Do you practice yoga? :D (couldn't help saying this!)

Rudeone:
At the same time, this torsion is possible, but let's talk about anatomy. Try to make, in yourself, this torsion. Do it with your arms relaxed, and then try to make it with your arms like in the figure. Noticed the difference?

In other way, the leg in the first plane is too relaxed. Remember that she is support her and th bike's weight in her other leg. It's impossible to do a torsion like that in theese conditions. Or better, not impossible, only ultra-human. :D

Another hint, in this pose, her butt cannot be sitted on the bike, she is dealing with too much weight on one leg.

luv to you, friends.

InAction
02-16-2005, 08:09 PM
Hey InAction, I'm sorry I didn't mean to sound offended or anoyed.....

You didn't and I did neither mean to sound like that. Anyway, As long as the result of the picture turns out good I'm glad, because it has a REALLY good start. :)

I'll make sure to follow this piece until it's finished. :thumbsup:

Edit*
The part where I mentioned 'offence' were about 'me' going on the offence. I hope I didn't make that part mis-understood. :shrug:

Walrusmann
02-17-2005, 08:18 PM
Walrusmann:
Do you practice yoga? :D (couldn't help saying this!)

Rudeone:
At the same time, this torsion is possible, but let's talk about anatomy. Try to make, in yourself, this torsion. Do it with your arms relaxed, and then try to make it with your arms like in the figure. Noticed the difference?

In other way, the leg in the first plane is too relaxed. Remember that she is support her and th bike's weight in her other leg. It's impossible to do a torsion like that in theese conditions. Or better, not impossible, only ultra-human. :D

Another hint, in this pose, her butt cannot be sitted on the bike, she is dealing with too much weight on one leg.
luv to you, friends.
i hate to disagree man but im gonna no one would need to be ultra human for this pose bikes actually have a lot of balance and the seat itself leans atleast six inches on both sides for turns and such so she could easily hold the bike up plus shes not proping it in anymore of a difficult way than waiting at a stop light
also she is turning her wait the opposite direction of her balancing leg if she were turned the other way i could under stand how she'd look like shes about to fall over but the way she is turned would provide even more balance

Rudeone
02-17-2005, 08:35 PM
Hi everybody,
I post on this forum because I find it helpfull to get crit from people who share the same passion as me and really have knowledge about art, anotomy, composition etc.
I take every criticism serious and try to use it to improve my work. I tried to make changes in this piece based on the crit about the torsion, I tried Lula's (and Falcor earlier) advice to change the position of the leg and butt, but...I can't make it look right and it just doesn't get the action feel I'm looking for, so I'm really gonna stick with the pose the way it is.

Walrusmann I'm glad you agree with me on this subject, thanx man.

Lula assassina you're absolutly right, based on natures law it's impossible for humans to make this turn on a bike and keep it in control, luckely the girl is gonna be a gamecharacter and yes she's supposed to be ultra-human, so I gues I got it right then:D, thanx anyway for the advice buddy.

I just wanted to clear that out, I hope I didn't come of as mister-I-know-everything-better-than-you-guys.

Allright lets post another update, it's pretty much finished, except for maybe some sword decorations, the gun fireing and the background.

edit: didn't read your last reply before I posted this update Walrusmann, but you have a good point there mate.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/rudeone/heavymetal.jpg

Walrusmann
02-18-2005, 01:15 AM
i like what youve done with the exhaust pipes and the decoration on the back wheel is cool as hell i think maybe you should put some texture on the back wheel show the treads right now they look like the tires on my grand dad's old volkswagon lol

InAction
02-18-2005, 08:53 AM
luckely the girl is gonna be a gamecharacter and yes she's supposed to be ultra-human, so I gues I got it right then:D

You could have said that right away mate. :arteest:

Anyway, now when you're starting to add the effects. Is there some way you could add that strengthes the point that she's actually making a turn? For example (This could be in another picture) some steam being affected of her fast movement and makes a current? (In the steam) I hope you understand what I mean.

It's only a tip. :)

Martin_B
02-18-2005, 11:04 AM
I'm not really sure but i think you got some perspective problems on the back of the bike - that part with 'heavy metal'. I think you see the bike too much from below in that part.

It's a great painting anyway and i think it's nice to se the development of this picture.

Rudeone
02-18-2005, 01:09 PM
InAction well, it was kinda mentioned earlier in this thread:) . It wasn't my first intend to make her somewhat ultra-human, infact when I started this painting I knew nothing about her, it just was an image that suddenly popped in my head when a friend and I were brainstorming on a gameconcept for a schoolproject (make a demo-version / prototype and who knows, maybe get it out there and hope someone is interested in producing it).
'Medoosa' who posted in my thread gave me some ideas and he also mentioned cybernetic implants and stuff. I'm now at the point that I have a background story for the girl and I can tell you, you do not want to be on her 'deathlist', well it's not like you will suffer cause you will be dead before you even knew she was near.

I was thinking about some motion blur effects on her arm, jacket and swooshing hair, smoke coming from the exhaust and some heathturbulence (is that a real word?) in the air around the hot parts of the bike.

Martin_B So you've noticed huh, yeah that part really bothers me, but it was like that in the ref img I used, but in my painting it looks like the rear is bend to the left, don't know how I can fix that without erasing it and paint it again.

Thanx for the replies guys:)

InAction
02-18-2005, 01:26 PM
Yeah, that word should exist. Heat turbulence or whatever.

Still eager to see the next step of your WIP though. :arteest:

hunz
02-18-2005, 02:57 PM
i didnt understand the back tire rotate? nothing is holding it and it cant rotate/move.
good painting
cya
God bless you all

Rudeone
02-18-2005, 03:47 PM
Do you mean the smoke hunz? I thought it could be caused because the tire is hot and she just braked real hard, figured it might contribute on the dynamic aspect, don't know if it's realistic though.
If you mean the traction of the tire, that's located on the backside of the tire

Rudeone
02-19-2005, 12:28 AM
Hi ya'll,

This is just a test to see how it looks. I played with some colours, over the girl and bike I put a dark blue layer set on darken and reduced the opacity, on top of that I painted some yellow glow caused by the firing gun. Like i said it's still a test, but I think I will use it eventually because it looks pretty cool imo.

For the background I was thinking that it takes place on a cablebridge, a river or something like that below, surrounded by a huge city. Suggestions are still very welcom though.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/rudeone/heavymetal22.jpg

InAction
02-19-2005, 10:39 AM
No suggestions on what you could add on this update from me. :)

You said it was a test so you probably know that the fire from the gun looks to be in a different direction than what the gun is pointing, not much but still. Also, does it become such a large flame from such a small firearm?

Rudeone
02-19-2005, 03:38 PM
Yeah you're right about the direction, I thought if the bullit went in the same direction it looked like she shoots in the air, looks pretty stupid, could I explain it that the gun backfires?
I think I will rotate the arm a little down eventualy, to match the bullit direction.

About the flame, searched for some firing gun images on the net, found this one from the matrix where agent Smith fires an identical size gun, it almost looked like a flametrower, so I don't really have problem with it, but it can be scaled down a little, will try it.

InAction
02-19-2005, 04:46 PM
If it's the backfire, then maybe the density of the flame should be lowered some. Because, I think the length of the flame can be that long, but not the density. But, try your way through, it's not like there's something 'wrong' with it. Exaggeration is always welcome in my eyes, if it's made with 'control' from the artist. :)

Walrusmann
02-22-2005, 09:12 PM
hey buddy im back

i think the scene is alittle to dark if you were to lighten it up a bit the fire from the gun would still be able to stand out

the action of the gun and its firing looks very good though i think you should definitly keep it the exagurated fire works to make her look pretty threatening

in all i think yor experiment with the dark background worked keep up the good work looks like youre almost done:thumbsup:

Rudeone
02-23-2005, 11:27 PM
Thanx y'all,

For a couple of days I've been working on a background.
I painted a bridge and was quite satisfied with the result, but for the other parts I only got very frustrated. I painted a bay with a skyline in the background...looked like crap, painted a junkyard and ship-graveyard on the beach...also looked like crap.
I decided to take a break, turned on my ps2 to cruise a little in GTA San Andreas. I entered a bridge in San Fiero and when I looked to my left it suddenly hit me, all I saw were buildings, so why not drop the whole river/bay/beach idea and just show a part of the city, a downtown view.

So I started with this idea and made quite some progress. I wanted to add billboards and a lot of neon, maybe it's a little overdone but I can change the opacity after the final detailing if necessary.
Anyways, here it is:

edit: The sign reads 'elevators', maybe a little stupid, it was an unused texture I did for a previous game-prototype, just wanted to see how it looked, maybe I will keep it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/rudeone/heavymetalfinal.jpg

Tace
02-24-2005, 01:45 AM
Oh... wow... I love this piece.

The smiley face with the bullet hole in the forehead is a nice touch. The gun flash is great. The city backdrop is good. Full of neon, grime, and other goodness. :)

The sword is well done. I really like the zipper on the side of her boot. I'd like to hear how you did it. (zippers still cause me problems unless I paint really big then shrink it down.)

Not sure about the sunset. It's dramatic but it would be too light outside for the neon to be as bright as it is and the lighting would be totally different on the bike and woman.

Have you thought about making the cowl of the bike red also to match the rear of the bike? Add some tread to the tires.

Rudeone
02-24-2005, 02:22 AM
Hi Tace, thanx for your kind words :)

About the zipper: well I also painted really big (5000 by 3620 pixels!!...the whole image:D ), painted it in different layers (my computer really hates that).
Looks a little crappy in the close up, but it works eventually.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/rudeone/zipper.jpg

You're right about the sunset. Just looked out the window of my apartment and I have a nice view of the city. Right now it's 3 am over here (sleep...smeep) and it's snowing and foggy outside, city lights causing a kind of red/orange glare in the dark sky, a beautifull eerie atmosphere, would be perfect for my painting.

Don't think I will change the colours of the bike, not much time left (going for expose 3) and I kinda like it this way, but maybe if I have some time left after finishing I can look at it. I will add some tread to the tire.

Thanx again Tace:)

InAction
02-24-2005, 07:24 AM
You're right on with the background! :D

Hmm, one thing just hit me; should the tires really be that smooth? I mean, some kind of pattern usually are on them right?

Anyway, this piece is turning out great! :)

Rudeone
02-24-2005, 12:05 PM
Hey thanx InAction :)

Yes I will add some pattern to the tires, I was gonna do that before I started the background because I wanted the girl and bike to be finished before proceeding, but I kinda forgot :D

InAction
02-24-2005, 02:57 PM
Hahahaha, okay. Can't wait for the next update. :)

Rudeone
02-25-2005, 02:34 AM
Probably the final update.
I had quite some hard time painting the tread on the tire, so i decided to darken both tires and show a part of the tread, looks much better IMO.

I pretty much finished the piece, but before I sign it and enter it for expose 3 I would like some crit. Are there things I should change? things I should add? are there errors I didn't notice?

All crit highly apreciated, thanx

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/rudeone/heavymetalfinished.jpg

InAction
02-25-2005, 09:06 AM
Hmm, maybe you should rework some of the glowing effects? At the signs and such? You see, I think those parts looks maybe a little bit too dense? It's hard to explain, maybe I should say that those effects ain't my taste? :D

ditchman
02-25-2005, 11:24 AM
looks great now :thumbsup:

for me the railings behind the bike are to square (perfcetly parallel with each other, and at right angles to the sides of the canvas) to my eye it breaks the composition too much

personaly, if they are on a sepeate layer i would use the transform tool to add pespective.

nice work!:thumbsup:

Tace
02-26-2005, 05:10 AM
Great work on the sky and the tires. The tires do look better darker. :cool:

I think you're getting to the stage where too many cooks can spoil the broth.

Check the piece out by flipping it vertical first and see if anything pops out of place. Then flip it back. Then flip it horizontally and see if anything looks off. Then flip it back.
(That's a trick I use on all my pictures to break my mindset and see what is really there.) :D

Rudeone
02-26-2005, 12:47 PM
Finally I finished the piece. I skewed the railing a bit thanx to ditchmans advice and did some final retouching.

I allready entered it for expose 3 and also submitted to the finished gallery, so if you're interested in the final result please click the link below.

I wanna say thanx to all who took the time to view my WIP and thanx to those who helped me out by giving me C&C, I apreciate it a lot

CGTalk Moderation
02-26-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.