PDA

View Full Version : what difference do these graphics card make?

destroyer83
01-13-2005, 08:41 PM
i've been checking the line of notebook workstations that alienware has for digital content creation, and the only big difference i see between these two (mj-12m and mj-12m 7700) is the graphics card.. the mj-12m has a NVIDIA Quadro FX Go1000 Module with 128MB DDRand the other offers a NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Go with 256MB of DDR memory .......
i'm gonna be working on compositing, 3d modeling, digital painting and video editing and visual effects related work. which one should i choose?
what response do i get , in performance, from these two cards????????
thanks

Naisa Evoli
01-13-2005, 09:15 PM
From what i understand the difference between the Gforce and the Quatro series is the Gforce is made more for gaming and Quatro for digital conent creation. The Gforce works off of libraries of shaders and other pre installed info that the games work on to process the game faster, but does not work to great for content creation becuase in 3D environment your not working off pre made libraries you just need the pure prosessing power of a profestional grade graphics card like the Quatro. Quatro i belive works off Open GL?. Anyway, i'm sure some of my terminology and ideas may be a little off..lol.. Been a long time since i studied this stuff, but you get the basic idea. Basicly all you need ot know is, Gforce series is good for games not good for digital content creation (such as maya work) and the Quatro is good for Maya and other digital content creation but not good for games (becuase it doesnt have thoes shaders and other libraries that games use in it, eventhough technically it is more perfull).

(i'm sure somone will come by and give you a better answer, but i figured id take a stab at it since i know when you ask a question, people usually sit there and hit refresh till its answered..lol. So incase your anxiouse, i figured id try and give you something to get started with.)

novadude
01-13-2005, 09:57 PM
Another misinformed post about the differences between 'gaming' and 'professional' cards. The only real difference is marketing, which jacks the price up on the quadro cards. I would get the 6800go, as it is of a newer generation and will give better performance than a low end quadro.

kex
01-13-2005, 09:57 PM
i would say the 6800 will last longer as its a newwer card. it looks like the better of the two ,

as the fx 1000 is built on a lot older tech

Naisa Evoli
01-14-2005, 05:17 AM
Sorry for the missinformation. This is what i was tought, but i guess i'm to trusting when it comes to trusting what companies say about their own products >,<. I'm glad you guys let me know about this, thank you^^. So just to clear up. I have a alianware computer with a NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Series GPU graphics card running on a PCI-Express port. So your saying this will work just as well as the so called "procumer" Quadro cards?. I mean, will this be good enough for me for animating in maya?

ambient-whisper
01-14-2005, 05:33 AM
i like to say it this way. if you have to ask why a quadro will be good for you then you probably dont need one :D.

Naisa Evoli
01-14-2005, 05:40 AM
I understand what your saying, its just i was under the previouse misconception that Gameing graphics cards would not work very well with 3D apps. So before i go and blow my graphics card budget on ram and some other fun upgrades, i want to make sure my graphics card will last me through school (more specificly FullSail school for thoes of you who know what it is and what they do and require).^^ (i'm assuming your post ambient-whisper is a yes, it will be fine, But i just want to double double check before i go spend the money i saved :P, becuase i may not be advanced enough now to get the use out of a Quadro, but by the end of school i want to make sure i wont need something like that and then nto have the money to get it. Id rather plan for the future. Thank you for any help you can offer :)

ambient-whisper
01-14-2005, 05:54 AM
lets just say this. at work i got a quadrofx 3000
at home ( on my laptop ) i got a geforce fx5600.

i cant tell the difference.
so i would recommend to stick with a game card. ( but get a decent one. ( read some reviews and stuff, before buying )

Naisa Evoli
01-14-2005, 06:01 AM
thank you ambient-whisper big help^^. I guess il just stick with my PCI-express Gforce 6800 and spend my graphics card money on some extra ram and other upgrades.

zeroice013
01-15-2005, 09:53 PM
I'm looking at the MJ-12m too. From the research I've done I've heard that the 6800go runs just fine with 3d apps like Maya and Max. But if you're set on a Quadro card, the quadro go1400(basically the workstation version of the geforce 6800go) should be out in the next few weeks, according to a NVIDIA cust serv rep. Eurocom is already offering it on their D900T Phantom. And there's also the ATI mobility x800. It's shipping in a few systems already (Sager is one I can think of) and Alienware says they should have it soon. The first reviews show it beating the Geforce 6800go in all tests except for one.

kex
01-15-2005, 10:51 PM
let me gueese did nvidia or tomshardware do the benchmarks :P

Knotter8
01-16-2005, 11:17 AM
You guys might be forgetting one crucial thing : POWER consumption.

I mean.. he's getting a laptop, not a desktop pc. I had the desktop QuadroFX1000
myself, and now I have the Geforce6800GT. Both work fine in C4D and Maya.

But I know that the QuadroFX1000 Go uses Nvidia's PowerMizer technology which
I think gives it more workhours than the Geforce6800 Go. I can imagine the Geforce 6800 Go sucks quite some more power than the QFX1000Go, just like a mobile P4 does, compared to a Centrino.

You might wanna research
and think about this before getting 'blinded' by all that Geforce6800 dx9 shader power.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.