PDA

View Full Version : Hello, Wavers' World! & 1 Brick Procedural Q

Delphis
09-07-2002, 04:50 PM
Hello, everyone! it's my first post here, so you know you just got a new waver into The Community. :wavey:

So here goes my first Q: Does everybody find creating bump effect with the Brick procedural a hard job like me?

I am studying the Brick procedural and found it really difficult to create a good brick-surfaces-raised-above-mortar-gaps effect with a brick procedural as the bump map. To better see tweaking results, I applied the bump maps of Lava and Brick_1-4 presets which come with lightwave to a level 100 subpatch geometry with Bump Displacement checked on the Object Properties panel. Then I found while the Veins procedural works pretty well as Lava's bump map, the geometry with Brick applied ended up with each brick becoming a little pyramid, however I tweaked the setting.

As I am still a total niubai(big time, as you soon will see), I guess I just missed something there, so could someone give me a few tips on creating a realistic-looking weathered brick wall? Thanks.

And I have found this tutorial about creating "realistic Brick surfaces" on Scott Cameron's tutorials list, but unfortunately here at home we have very unstable access to sites in geocities' domain, so could someone kindly pass the most important part of the tut to me? many thanks in advance. Here's the link:

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Bit/8953/tut_1.html

Also, I think the controls offered by the in-box Brick procedural is kind of limited. Do we have alternative brick procedurals or shaders?

P.S.:
Although this is the first time I post a message here, I have been reading messages here for quite a while. ;) Now I want everybody reading this message to know this: I OWE MANY MANY THANKS TO YOU AND THE COMMUNITY. During my lurking days I just enjoyed so many goodies from here- tips, links, tutorials, workshops, plugins, encouraging and inspiring renders, interesting arguments, and of course, excitement of the ongoing texturing contest and many many more. So let me say:

THANK YOU, FOLKS!!!!!!:thumbsup:

Rabid pitbull
09-07-2002, 05:40 PM
ok if you really want to make a displacement map that looks like a brick wall you will need lots of geometry BEFORE you subdivide. sub d of 100 is quite a processor killer. I would actually recommend trying a texture map for this anyhow. there are many good textures of brick walls out there. desaturate the image and adjust contrast and brightness for a good map. actually newtek just uploaded to all registered users a great texture archive i remember seeing several brick walls.

good luck!

wgreenlee1
09-07-2002, 05:52 PM
Shades a shader plugin really has some cool effects for walls and floors.
Those combined with layers of gradients can really go far.

Shades can be found here.Shades (http://amber.rc.arizona.edu/lw/newshades/)

Lizard Head
09-07-2002, 08:19 PM
Thanks For the link mr Greenlee1

Adios
Lizard*

Lizard Head
09-07-2002, 08:22 PM
Welcome Delphis!!!!

you entered a great new world in LW, and by making yourself known to us all, it enriches everyone here!

Adios
Lizard*

Delphis
09-08-2002, 10:03 AM
thank you, Rabid pitbull. I use the real-geometry bump only for tweaking because I want to see the bumping distance better. yet I think I will use some real geometry bump along the corner edges where the silhouette is revealed. and I will try to see what photographed image maps can get me. thanks
--

thank you for the link wgreenlee1, i am playing with the shader now. It's really good and offers a lot of extra controls and the bumping looks great. I hope I can get what I want with it.
--

thanks, lizard head.
--

Delphis

Delphis
09-08-2002, 10:13 AM
I searched here and the general texturing forum with "brick" as the keyword before i started this thread. seems nobody discussed the use of brick procedural before. As I am still a newbie, I don't know if this means more experienced users usually prefer photographed image maps to procedurals or not?

What I am up to is a real-world enclosure of a big complex. It is high and long and the bricks are big. because it is very old, it has a very jagged surface with pits of broken bricks here and there. What will you do in this situation, procedurals or image maps? As many things I am going to model or reconstruct will have similar looks and I mean to go photorealistic I think I'm going to dig this topic deep. :wip:

Thank you.:)

--

Eugeny
09-08-2002, 10:44 AM
U can find some good brick tutorial on dvgarage.com, also if u want to build brick texture from procedurals check this Newtek tutorial :Brick texture (http://www.lightwave3d.com/tutorials/surface/texturing/texturing_buildingtextures_2.html)
- just skroll down to the texture displacement mode...
Good luck :)

Delphis
09-08-2002, 02:38 PM
Thank you for the links, Eugeny. :) I am now thru with the tutorials. i have studied all brick presets that come with lw but still can't get good mortar-gap bumping with the in-box brick procedural. and the output of the dvgarage.com tut is kinda too "new" . have to look for more get-them-look-old stuff.

thanks again

Delphis

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.