PDA

View Full Version : Blendshapes after binding skin?

Reaker
01-13-2005, 01:01 AM
I always wondered if itís better to create blendshapes AFTER you bind your skeleton to the model and paint weights. I mean if I have jawbone, it makes that much more sense. However, for example, I start duplicating my model with a skeleton around, do some face expressions and then what? Do I delete history and destroy skeleton and just use blendshape model or do I keep a skeleton?

Basically what would you recommend? (I got last in the question above).

MikeRhone
01-13-2005, 01:39 AM
There are many options for you on this one. The first and easiest is to apply your blendShape "Front of Chain" (Its in the advanced tab for blendshapes.) This will set the blendshape to deform before any other calculations are done on your geometry.

The other option would be to just apply a blendshape as you normally would, and change the deformation order. Once your blendShape is applied, right click on your geometry, and select inputs-->All inputs. Middle mouse drag your blendshape so it happens before the skinCluster node.

Best of luck...!

Reaker
01-13-2005, 02:00 AM
Thank! What would I have done without these forums :D

poly-phobic
01-13-2005, 02:33 AM
Thank! What would I have done without these forums :D
the manualhttp://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

Reaker
01-13-2005, 06:27 AM
By the way, forgot to ask. When I copy model full rigged, with painted weights, for creating blandshapes. Somehow when I duplicate it, they become Unrigged, skeleton doesn't affect a model and so on :/ Any ideas why?

MikeRhone
01-13-2005, 07:15 PM
Well, duplicating an object with default options will only copy the mesh itself, none of its input connections. In the duplicate options box you have one of 2 other options:

Duplicate Input connections: Will duplicate the mesh, and will tie it into the network just the same as the original. IE: skinning, deformers, history will all be the same on the duplicated geometry.

Duplicate input graph: Will duplicate the geometry AND all other objects that are connected to it. It would litereally duplicate an entire character, rig and all.

If you are looking to use the duplicated geometry as a blendShape target, dont bother with either of these 2 advanced options. But be sure to turn your skinClusters envelope to "0" before you duplicate it. This will ensure you are copying a clean, undeformed version of your model. This is ESSENTIAL.

Best of luck!

Mike R

Reaker
01-14-2005, 02:23 AM
Well, duplicating an object with default options will only copy the mesh itself, none of its input connections. In the duplicate options box you have one of 2 other options:

Duplicate Input connections: Will duplicate the mesh, and will tie it into the network just the same as the original. IE: skinning, deformers, history will all be the same on the duplicated geometry.

Duplicate input graph: Will duplicate the geometry AND all other objects that are connected to it. It would litereally duplicate an entire character, rig and all.

If you are looking to use the duplicated geometry as a blendShape target, dont bother with either of these 2 advanced options. But be sure to turn your skinClusters envelope to "0" before you duplicate it. This will ensure you are copying a clean, undeformed version of your model. This is ESSENTIAL.

Best of luck!

Mike R

Well thank you for the answer, but I think I will need to go with option two, because what if I, for example, want to do facial expresions using joints? I think for that I will need to duplicate whole mesh AND the rig itself, so weights stayed painted and so on. Then with bones I can change facial expersion to the point I want, then delete all history from this blendshape, delete bones, etc. and combine it with my original mesh.

Ah I think I am not really explaining myself very well, sorry for my English. I will just try it myself and see what really will work or what will not :P Plus I am thinking about ordering Making of Leon (how is that anyway?) and I am sure it will help me.

Thank you again!

MikeRhone
01-14-2005, 05:08 AM
Ahhh I see what you are saying now... You are using your current rigged and weighted mesh to build the blendShape targets.

You don't need to duplicate the whole rig. I would just move the joints around until you have a shape you like on the original model, then duplicate the mesh only. After you have done that, reset your character rig on the original model. Repeat this process for every target you need.

For facial rigging, I HIGHLY reccomend Stop Staring by Jason Osipa. It will give you the tools you need to understand to create great, accurate face shapes, and how to set up an intuitive rig to control it.

In any event, best of luck! I dont know anything about that making of Leon Im sorry to say, but maybe someone else can help you there.

Reaker
01-14-2005, 07:54 AM
Ahhh I see what you are saying now... You are using your current rigged and weighted mesh to build the blendShape targets.

You don't need to duplicate the whole rig. I would just move the joints around until you have a shape you like on the original model, then duplicate the mesh only. After you have done that, reset your character rig on the original model. Repeat this process for every target you need.

For facial rigging, I HIGHLY reccomend Stop Staring by Jason Osipa. It will give you the tools you need to understand to create great, accurate face shapes, and how to set up an intuitive rig to control it.

In any event, best of luck! I dont know anything about that making of Leon Im sorry to say, but maybe someone else can help you there.

BIG THANK YOU, you just saved me tons of time. Good thing I didn't start it today (been watching first season of 24, this show is like drugs I tell you), but I ordered the book though, heard lot's of good things about it and that it helps you very much so in facial animation department. Thank you again for patience and help!

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.