PDA

View Full Version : Avid Xpress Pro HD & Final Cut Express

dmonk
01-12-2005, 10:18 PM
Avid Express pro HD & Final Cut express
Anyone have any experience with these? I am going to build a small editing workstation at home for personal use.

I have heard good things about avid express, I could simply upgrade my current workstation.

But,

The price and features of FC express are very tempting, the problem is I would have to buy a MAC that would work well with it and that could get a bit pricey. I wouldn't mind buying a MAC, but if it wasn't worth it, then why.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

uncon
01-12-2005, 11:07 PM
I personally like FCP, but I don't have to pay for it out of my pocket. BUT! Having messed around with the Avid freeDV thing I have to say that they both seem pretty competent maybe even equal.

I like the way that firewire capability is integrated smoother into the Mac's but then again the PC may have caught up by now. I can tell you that even the bottom rung mac's work well with FCP, although rendering times for your movie files is where you are going to take a big speed hit.

Have you tried freeDV? if you like the interface and it works for your needs I wouldn't worry about getting all new hardware.

>>EDIT.. It's nice to have everything on one system for those times you need to make a quick title image in Photoshop, or render out something simple to integrate into your composition.

dmonk
01-12-2005, 11:49 PM
thanks! I''ll look up freedv.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.