PDA

View Full Version : Combustion donīt uses 100% CPU

KDM
01-12-2005, 09:41 PM
Hi!

I have a question thats need your expertise to solve.

Hear is the deal, im using Combustion daily, push my Xeon system to the limit or atleast i hope so.
Ex,1#
Iīve got 250 rendered frames from Lightwave and i imported them to combustion....and now im hiting preview render on FULL quaility and my FPS is only at 12-13, no effects, CC, or any changes to orginal frames. CPUīs only uses 20-40% of capacity. After all frames are loaded into memory there are no problem but why does it only uses a small fragment of CPU capacity??
Ex,2#
I have made a complex PAL (720x576Interlaced,25fps) compostion with lots of blurs, keys, CC, etc and my CPU load is only at 80-85% on preview render.

My rigs is
2x3.06Ghz Xeon 512kB HT enable
2G PC2700 RAM
Asus PC-DL motherboard
1xRaptor 36Gb SysHD
4xRaptor RAID(0+1,128Mb memory on RAIDcard) 36Gb MediaHD

Why canīt the system load more to memory...is it Xeonīs bad memory controller or what is it? Time is money and combustion eats my time!

Im working on a small post production facility, in a couple of months we are moving from MAC finalcutpro to PC AvidxpressPro and we need a new rig, perhaps transforming the Xeon rig to Avid and buy a new combustion rig, so all suggestion to this problem is open.

Kind regards,
KDM

Titus
01-12-2005, 10:10 PM
Why the CPU should work at 100%? Why do the processor needs so many cicles to load an image into memory?

Lukashi
01-12-2005, 11:10 PM
your cpu is probably partially idle because it is waiting on other devices most likely the harddrive.

KDM
01-13-2005, 12:47 AM
I find it strange that Combustion has far more to grab on the system...somewhere is there a big bottleneck.

my clues to bottlenecks,
BUS, its only 533mhz and HT
Memory, PC2700 maybe isnīt fast enof.
Xeon architecture
MediaHD
Virtualmemory on MediaHD

imashination
01-13-2005, 10:04 AM
If your cpu use is only 20-40%, that means that part of combustion is single threaded. It is actually fully using a single cpu, but the software is incapable of using multiple processors here.

Go and complain to discreet, theres nothing wrong with your system.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.