PDA

View Full Version : Motion designer dislikes network rendering

alaklij
09-07-2002, 07:22 AM
Has anyone out there had trouble network rendering with motion designer as one of the plugins in a scene?
If I render a straight .avi file motion designer works, but if I use network rendering; it never gets past the first frame.

Any leads on this one?

Thanks.

Eugeny
09-07-2002, 08:39 AM
In the Motion Designer controller u have Save button... After performing simulation save this simulation on the mapped drive, next time then u hit play u don't need to perform another simulation, also this is good for network render.

DigitalDeuce
09-07-2002, 04:55 PM
just like particles, you have to 'bake' it.

alaklij
09-07-2002, 06:06 PM
Eugeny,
I save on a regular basis from the controller. That didn't do it. My .mdd file and .txt files were in a subfolder of the scenes folder, so I moved them one folder up to the scenes. This didn't help either.

DigitalDeuce,
you said "'bake' it, just like particles", yet I can't bake the motion of the cloth from the graph editor because the cloth never really moves. It only moves from the gravity and surface properties I give it.

I don't recalll in my past work having to bake the motion of particles in order to network render. Could explain your solution with more detail? Thanks DigitalDeuce.

My experience with network rendering is if there is a problem it is likely due to config, file, or plugin misplacement. That's why I moved the .mdd and .txt files to the scenes folder. Screamernet doesn't like subfolders in the scenes folder. At least from my experience.

Any more help would be great. In the meantime I'm still troubleshooting.

DigitalDeuce
09-07-2002, 07:54 PM
you said "'bake' it, just like particles", yet I can't bake the motion of the cloth from the graph editor because the cloth never really moves. It only moves from the gravity and surface properties I give it.

In Motion Designer -- you have on the Motion Designer Controller -- a button labeled "SAVE". This, after you have run the simulation, will save a "MDD" file. This is the motions of the verticies under the control of motion designer. From that point on, you don't have to calculate the simulation. We call this 'baking'.

In ParticleFX -- in the ParticleFX Controller -- you have a save button. This saves out the particle motion as a PFX file. Again, this is after you run the simulation. This doesn't have to be calculated again.

The only time that you need to do this, is if you have other effects that require this OR if you intend on rendering it over a network. The reason for doing it for rendering over a network, is each node will start the calculation - hence the simulation will not be what you expect.

Other thing, always render to frames, then compile an animation from those frames. First reason, network rendering won't save to an animation format (like AVI), and second and the main reason, if something happens (like a crash), or if you get a result that you don't like, you don't have to rerender the whole project.

:beer:

alaklij
09-08-2002, 04:53 AM
DigitalDeuce,
Thanks for the info. I have done all you mentioned. I always render to frames, I save my mdd files (both when I do motion designer and particles). I just never thought of it as baking, more like a preview needed for Lightwave to remember the movement. We're talking about the same thing though, just different words.

However, I'm still having problems and I'm still troubleshooting. I'll let ya know when I fix this issue.

thanks.

DigitalDeuce
09-08-2002, 01:35 PM
Ok -- one other thing to make sure of.

When you save the MDD and PFX files from motion designer and particles --

make sure that they are being saved to a drive/location that all the render nodes see. For example, if you save the MDD file to drive "D", make sure that all the nodes see that drive "D" as "D" --

understand? I hope we can get this fixed for ya, cause I render network all the time with no problems.

Eugeny
09-08-2002, 02:02 PM
That's i mean then i say "Mapped drive"
u better use \\Name of your computer\D instead of D:\ - but in this case u need to add sharing to your D drive.
If u use server network simple save your MDD files on one (but still mapped) drive.
If u on Mac just use Network browser to mount your Hard disk on all render nodes machines...

DigitalDeuce
09-08-2002, 02:09 PM
Thanks for pulling that slack Eugeny.

Hadn't had my coffee yet. :thumbsup:

alaklij
09-08-2002, 09:18 PM
DigitalDeuce and Eugeny,

So my problems are solved. You won't believe this, but...
My shortcuts to LWSN were targeted to the old 6.5b LWSN instead of the new LWSN 7.5. I use both on my machine, and when I updated I forgot to change the directory within the properties of the shortcuts.

Whoa! this is a relief. Thanks for your help. I was already doing all of the aforementioned subjects, just overlooked that tiny detail of upgrade.
:scream:

Thanks again.

DigitalDeuce
09-08-2002, 09:23 PM
D'oh!!

Glad you got it worked out!!

:xtreme: :xtreme:

Eugeny
09-09-2002, 05:56 AM
Heh, this is happened for me to, after installing 7.5 i was going crazy - because most of the new features don't worked...
After two days of madness i found that two LightWaves 7.0b and 7.5 use the same Hub 7.0b with the same config files!

Glad u solved this problem :buttrock:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.