PDA

View Full Version : tracking / matching >> make the object move

Dutchman
01-12-2005, 06:39 PM
Heeey dear friends,

I've done some experimental tracking and matching last time (with 3ds Max 5.0 ; intergrated Tracker / Matcher), and want to try a new effect within some weeks... (like in Artificial Intelligence; first scene with the woman robot 'opening' her face :buttrock:; I know the basics outof the (awesome) bonus DVD of AI :) ).

For this I wonder if/how its possible to track/match footage, but to not let the camera move, but an object (maybe dummy, so that I can link the objects to it). I know something about pinning (have 'heard' about it), but do not completaly understand that, and I do not know if its suitable for this FX-case...

I hope somebody can help me!,

Gijs

Dutchman
01-13-2005, 08:38 PM
Heey,

I just tried something with pinning, cause I had the idea that that indeed would be the 'solver', but now it seems that you can only make a pinned object move in 2D... :sad: :shrug: Is it that I just use the options wrong, or is it really not build in? :shrug:

I think that it should be possible with the data, because if you can make your cam moving / rotating in 3D at the hand of the info, why shouldn't you be able to move the object...?!?

I'd very appriciate some reply of someone who can help me out! ;),
Gijs

bartrobinson
01-19-2005, 11:11 PM
Instead of tracking the scene and solving for the camera motion, you need to track the actor's face and solve for those markers. Export the scene or whatever you do, then lock the digital face to the tracked markers from the face. If you have moving camera also, then you will probably want to track the camera and mask out the actor, solve for the camera motion, then track the actors face, and solve for that. It probably comes down to whether you can get your software to do what you want or not. Some software only tracks and solves for camera motion.

Dutchman
01-20-2005, 08:23 PM
Bart, allot thanks for you reply... Made some things clear to me...

I now allready now the techniques... and I just wanna know if the build-in 3Ds Max 5.0 tracker can match an object instead of a camera...

Because if its just imposible to do that within 3Ds Max' tracker itself (what would be quite sad... wouldnt take that much extra scripting...), please tell it to me... Then I don't need to search and test anymore. :)

Thanks for your time,
Gijs

bartrobinson
01-20-2005, 09:49 PM
Sorry, no experience with 3D Studio Max.

droidoz
01-21-2005, 08:16 AM
there is a function in 3dsmax, that enables you to pin an object to a tracked campoint. you should use the camera tracker, create a track point and then you can select "object pinning".
you can find the camera tracker under the uttilities menu -> more -> camera tracker. There are a few tutorials included with max that will show you how to track a point.
I hope this will help you. Good luck

Dutchman
01-22-2005, 10:37 AM
Thanks droidoz! But in fact I allready now the tracker utility and how to work with it, as well as that I know how to pin an object...

The very weird thing is just that 'with the information you input' you cán create a matching camera-move, but that you cannot create an óbject matching the move... I'd just like (maybe there is ;) ) a button in the tracker-utility like 'Match Object' (so that an object perfectly matches the footage; in the same way a cam does do it...)

Should I do it in a different way than; making a scene in witch I track and match the cammovement, put in a some object and so... Rendering it with an alfa-mask. Then in a new scene tracking and matching an object (matching a cam to it), placing some objects in the scene, and merge them two together in post....?!

There múst be a better way...(doiing it completaly manual?!)

Dutchman
07-06-2005, 02:01 PM
Now where a loooong time further, and I'm still wondering how to do it...! :scream: :eek: It seems that the most people who have the same 'troubles', just let the cam move instead of the object, because they know no other way... :eek:

But technically there must be a way to do it, isn't it... If there's really no other way, you maybe could first solve it by matching a cam to the motion, and later set the cam still, and make the object move... But how to solve thát in Max...?

Thanks for the time....

'Cause there just múst be a way!' :twisted:

CGTalk Moderation
07-06-2005, 02:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.